Saturday 6 April 2024

First Saturday in April

 The vegetable seedlings are out in the greenhouse now with fleece to cover them every night. The only benefit of cloudy days is the overnight temperatures are well above freezing. I looked at the weather forecast last Sunday and every single day this week had rain spots under the cloud symbol at some time during the day or night. And they were correct, including a torrential downpour for several minutes on Thursday morning. Luckily Friday was very windy and by late afternoon the grass was just about dry enough to do a quick run around with the mower.

I spent a while  searching the shed and behind it for a couple of clay flower pots that I thought I had but no luck, then I remembered one is upside down in the sink-pond to make a step in and out for frogs (no sign of any yet) and the others must have got broken when the plant stand fell over 2 years ago. There are always plenty at boot sales. I just need two for the two new plants picked up from boot sales this year. I'll take a photo after I've found suitable pots.

"Nanna will do it!"

Badges to sew on for Rainbows for the YGD and for Brownies for EGD. No hurry - it's the Easter break and Nanna has plenty of time!


Didn't realise I'd be doing this job 35 years on from my own children!

This week I am grateful for..............

  • Having plenty of different coloured cottons in my sewing box to match the badges.
  • The knowledge gained over 68 years that there WILL be sunshine and warmth at sometime this spring and summer however hopeless it looks.
  • Vegetable seedlings looking healthy. Fingers crossed.
  • Finding things to write about for the blog everyday .
  • Some good crime fiction to read this month.
  • Phone call from my cousin to tell me his Mum- my one remaining Aunt - is now in a care home - she'll be 100 this year-  pretty amazing - all her five siblings - including my Mum died well before old age.

When it was raining I watched the three programmes in the first series of Signora Volpe. It's on the free UKTV Play now after first being on Acorn - a pay to view channel. Starring Emilia Fox as an exMI6 agent it is set in the beautiful countryside of  Italy. It's well written and very understated. According to news online a season two was commissioned but doesn't seem to have appeared yet.

So it's the weekend again and the Saturday boot-sale if I can get up early enough. The Sunday one was all set to start this week but heavy rain will have turned it back into a quagmire again so I doubt it will.

Hope rain doesn't spoil your weekend plans, I shall be back Monday.

Sue


23 comments:

  1. We enjoyed Signora Volpe. Apparently the show had already been written before Emilia Fox was cast in the title role (which translates to Mrs Fox) and having the same surname is completely coincidental. Lovely to have all that Italian sunshine on TV when it is wet and windy here! I do hope they produce another series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the music and the views of Italian countryside

      Delete
  2. Ah yes fleece...hubby forgot to cover his cucumbers last week and has had to plant some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, mine are in the greenhouse and probably don't need covering but I'll carry on

      Delete
  3. You remind me that I must start thinking about what I want to grow this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a good start with the greenhouse plants so far

      Delete
  4. Next week looks a little drier, though we certainly caught that Thursday downpour as my brother was driving me in to the hospital - the nurse I saw had ridden in on her bike in it for five miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that poor nurse she must have been drenched. A long time ago I had a big yellow cape thing for cycling in the rain but not sure they exist anymore

      Delete
  5. Just a week ago it was all anticipation for Easter - time flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frightening how the days rush by - I say it all the time

      Delete
  6. I rarely see old clay plant pots. They are worth collecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stupidly left several at the last house, but there are always some at boot sales

      Delete
  7. We are forecast strong winds today and it’s blowy already so must check there’s nothing in the garden that can blow around. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw a yellow warning for strong winds up north. Hope your garden survives

      Delete
  8. I've not sown a single seed yet! And in reference to the other kind of sewing you mentioned, I'm glad that's not my task as I'm a bit hopeless with needle and thread!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Badge sewing is all done now - hope they are in the right places

      Delete
  9. I bet the badge sewing on was fiddly but satisfying. You should be able to find clay plant pots at the car boots, but they are getting more expensive even at boot sales now aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is great to know your veggie seedlings are doing well in the greenhouse. It's been raining/cloudy (with some light snow) in Massachusetts. Right before Easter I thought, there will be no more snow. I took down all the snow stakes marking my driveway as well as the snow fence protecting my tall Junipers outlining the parking pad at the end of the driveway. Then the snowplow came again. Thankfully, no damage was done. We all want Winter to wrap-up and warmth and sunshine to return. Your grands are doing well earning their badges. You must be very proud. You are bound to find some treasure(s) at the boot sale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find myself doing things or being asked to do them (not sewing badges but say painting and drawing) for my friend's grandchildren or even for my own grown up ones... I rather like it. Eatser her ein West Wales has been a wash out - no planting to be done just yet

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's supposed to get a bit warmer here next week and I am looking forward to it. I will have some baby sitting jobs scheduled in April as my DIL is starting some training for a new job so I will come over to get the boys off to school in the morning and go back to greet their bus in the afternoon. Only on MWF so not too much and it is fun to spend time with my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Canada the group before Brownies is called Sparks. I worked with the older than Girl Guide girls when I was a Guider.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning, I always check the temperature/ weather spot on your blog and around spring and autumn we always have similar weather, with daylight savings ended this weekend. Of course we are going the other way into winter here in southern Australia. I have been potting up some winter flowering annuals and re oiled the outdoor furniture. After many years break I have déjà vu driving grandchildren to after school activities, life is just a big circle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha! It's funny that you're still sewing on the badges, very nice of you to do it though.
    I am trying to think about what to plan for some kind of garden. We are trying to work out how to keep the deer away from tomato plants that husband has decided he wants. We kept them up on the back porch one year and the deer still came up to eat them!
    Hope you managed to get to the boot sale.

    ReplyDelete