Saturday 13 April 2024

Week Ending Saturday 13th

 Two clay pots were found at the boot sale last Saturday and they were my only spend (£1) on a day when there were more people selling than anytime this season so far. Just nothing much needed. I picked up three Beswick Birds like my Blue Tit and Wren, one was a robin but he had a chipped beak, one was supposed to be a grey wagtail but didn't really look like one and had a chipped tail and the third was a much larger pheasant but he'd been badly damaged and repaired even more badly so all three were left behind and I never wanted a Beswick Bird collection anyway! 

I could have bought more toys for grandchildren, a ton of craft stuff, a box of Christmas crackers and loads of Christmas cards but don't need any of them. Boot sales now seem to be more about the things I don't buy! Oh, and someone had the full set of the Country Diary of  an Edwardian Lady Months of the Year plates - I'd not seen any since I got my set  two years ago.

I potted my two recent purchases - a trailing ivy and a bright green sedum into the clay pots and added them to the plant stand. It's was 2021 when I found it at a boot sale and now looking as if it will soon need a new coat of paint. Ever since it blew over I've had it in this spot where it is tied to the trellis.

It looks better in real life than any photograph I've tried to take.


My tomato seedlings in the greenhouse have been potted on again as the warmish weather over last weekend meant they had a growth spurt. I know BiL wanted a couple of my plants to grow something different from those he gets from a friend. Couldn't remember if he wanted the giant Big Mama or the tiny Sungrape so I potted up all  6 of each. 

Most of the trees have suddenly greened up this week with a bit of warmth at the end of the week - I need to get more seedlings into bigger pots and the climbing French beans outside with some way of protecting them if we get a spell of cold. Jobs for the weekend I think. 
Yesterday I had MGS and YGD here as DiL had a school PD day, they were in grumpy end of school holiday mood - there were tears - which is quite unusual and that's my excuse for not replying to comments yet again - plus I'm reading lots of good library books too.

Thank you for birthday wishes - it's not quite yet! Although I did have some cards and a present already - thank you Ang, a lovely surprise - it was unwrapped by the grandchildren - they were very puzzled!

Have a good weekend - I shall be back Monday
Sue

30 comments:

  1. Jane from Dorset13 April 2024 at 07:38

    Thank you for the reminder to plant my climbing French beans. It’s been cold here and we’re almost 800ft up.
    Looking forward to our holiday in Suffolk this year. Not too far away from you I think so could treat you to coffee and a cheese scone, my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have a meet up - perhaps there are other Suffolk readers who would join in too!

      Delete
    2. Jane from Dorset13 April 2024 at 19:30

      Great idea!

      Delete
  2. We get more particular about things as we - er - mature!
    Time was that if it was anything owly, I would get it for my collection. The other day I discarded several owl stuff from my collection because they didn't give me 'joy'. They were just rather ugly things - or damaged.

    Now, if I could just apply that to my books . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being very good and several books are on their way out of the house this month.
      My owl collection went a long time ago, only two left now and a pair of book ends.

      Delete
  3. I love your plant stand! Now that *was* a good boot sale find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good find - one of my bigger spends that I've not regretted

      Delete
  4. Glad to know the little parcel arrived safely. I can understand the children's puzzlement. I have good grounds for sending it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I shall enjoy it, still going through the six year old but perfectly OK stuff at the moment!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like she sent you a bottle of syrup of figs.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear. Car boot sales would soon go out of business if it were left to the likes of us. Last time I went to a jumble sale I ended up giving them a donation so I didn't have to lug any of their tat home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That did make me smile.
      I see people buying up huge bags full of things and wonder what they will do with it all.

      Delete
  6. I can never see bargains, just rubbish, and I've got enough of that as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After so many years of visiting boot sales I'm pretty good at seeing past the tat!

      Delete
  7. Intrigued ( or just plain nosey!!!) about Angela's gift.
    Car boots - is it me or have they had their day........
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todays boot sale was HUGE and PACKED and half Suffolk was there but I didn't spend much!
      See my reply to Ang above for more clues!

      Delete
  8. We don't have car boot sales but we do have resale shops and I can often talk myself out of stuff I find as I have a lot of stuff at home already! But every now and then, something just "speaks" to me and I have to bring it home, especially if it is a good price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite good at keeping my purse in my bag now and only buying things that I really like or something to use up.
      I still reckon there's an opening for someone to start boot sales in your part of the world!

      Delete
  9. I’m still putting out stuff but some craft stamps sneaked in today for my craft class. After a torrential downpour, the sun is now shining. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things to be definitely used are allowed in ! :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh... I would be so thrilled to have a set of those plates. I would have snapped them up in a heartbeat because I covet yours so. Even though I need them like I need a hole in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hanging onto mine until I get fed up with getting one out and putting one away every month!

      Delete
  11. Isn't it wonderful to be planting again! Your clay pot finds were worth the trip to the sale. With all the lovely toys and crafts you have for your grandchildren, I am surprised to hear they were tearful. My neighbor children are looking forward to school summer break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what was up with the grandchildren on Friday, nothing was right - Oh well - better luck next time

      Delete
  12. We are unable to plant as of yet, but will be busy the next few days doing a clean up and some planning.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days are warm enough now as long as we don't have cold winds but there is still a chance of frost right into May

      Delete
  13. Oh wow! Those plates! I would have been dancing with joy lol.
    We're starting to think about what to plant and how to keep the deer from eating them lol. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are over in the summer have a visit to Needham Market boot sale - you might be lucky - although a bit heavy for taking home!

      Delete
  14. Lovely to have sunny weather, it spurs me on as well as my seedings, my toms are growing too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two clay pots for £1 was a good buy. I know what you mean about collections growing from nowhere. I once mentioned many moons ago that I collected owls and was inundated with them for every occasion for years after until I announced it loud and clear that I no longer did and was getting rid of all of them. Now I just keep quiet about things I like.

    ReplyDelete