Saturday 20 April 2024

Saturday Again

 There was some wild weather this week - high winds, torrential rain storms, ordinary rain and hail. We did have sun on a couple of days but not enough for my liking. I keep peering over the fleece fence at the French Climbing Bean plants - all OK so far.

Thank you to everyone for comments all week and 'Happy Birthday' wishes on Tuesday and apologies when I don't see them until next day and don't get round to replying. 
I think I have to be thankful that it's just one cat damaging the garden and not deer, rabbits, wallabies and wombats as many people have to garden around in other parts of the world! And I heard something about Fire Ants in parts of Australia -they look devastating. 
Thank you also to people who say they enjoy reading the blog - writing it keeps me going through good and the bad days.


 My 5th book of Reading The Seasons was a fail. It's a diary written through the spring of 2020, with the best spring weather for years and the virus moved through the country. It's by 3 different nature writers in different parts of the country including one in West Suffolk.


I started it and it was quite readable but I really didn't want to be reading about the coronavirus and its effects on everyone - it seems a long time ago now and I just didn't want to be taken back to that time again. 

Flowers in the house this week are my own - a few late tulips from the garden and some bits of Spirea and Perriwinkle.




Just as we were packing the chairs away at the Keep Moving Group this week we had a visit from a  very young policeman. ....It's true what they used to say .........he looked about 18! We told him he was too young and too late for the exercise and the coffee. But he'd seen the cars parked outside so thought  he would just drop in to tell us to be aware that there were some aggressive people door knocking in the area claiming to be from a charity. I'm always wary opening the door nowadays which is sad. Funnily enough the only person I've struggled to get rid of was a milkman wanting to deliver me milk!

Another weekend to enjoy with definitely more reading- but only one library book left- car boot sale probably - dry weather would be good. Stowmarket Town Council are trying to re-launch a monthly Farmers Market in town today - they tried in 2017 and it never really got going. Stow is going through a difficult patch with the banks closing and lots of empty shops and I found even the Oxfam Charity shop is closing. You know things are bad when a well established charity pulls out of the town. 

Have a good weekend in your bit of the world.
I shall be back Monday
Sue


24 comments:

  1. Your garden flowers look lovely. Shame about the book fail but who wants to revisit those difficult covid times......the bank we use is closing it's local town branch this August a very unwelcome sign of the times........
    Hope you get to the car boot and find some useful bargains .
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are now only 3 Barclays Banks in the whole of Suffolk - hopeless

      Delete
  2. Jane from Dorset20 April 2024 at 07:36

    Sad to hear that Stowmarket is struggling. We will be staying nearby in June and had hoped to find a local market.
    Belatedly happy birthday for Tuesday
    πŸŽˆπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸ€πŸ­πŸŒŸ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thursdays and Saturdays are market days in Stowmarket but only a few stalls selling

      Delete
  3. That was very nice of him - community policing at its best.

    I do hope Stowmarket picks up again. And your flowers are lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have the late tulips from the back garden, the front garden ones are all over weeks ago

      Delete
  4. As you say most towns are now struggling, our local council has purchased our shopping centre in a bid to try and revamp it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a standard answer to anyone trying to sell at my door, I either tell them we are very poor or that I am not allowed to buy anything without my husband's permission! They usually look sorry for me and I shut the door with a chuckle. Any phone hasslers trying to sell windows I say we are renters! Phone goes down very sharpish. None of this is true but it gets rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get many phone cold calls nowadays - no one knows my number!

      Delete
  6. That was a good bit of old fashioned community policing and good to see it still happens. We have lost 3 charity shops (including the one where I volunteered) over the last year and it certainly emphasises how dire the situation is in our town centre. The sun has got it’s hat on this morning so the washing machine is doing its thing and I am off to tidy and litter pick in the front garden-the joys of living across from a school. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice surprise to see a policeman in a village - a very rare thing!

      Delete
  7. We haven't had Nottingham Knockers for a couple of years now. They are a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing your lovely hare has just reminded me, I saw five hares on my way into Louth this morning. Handsome creatures.
    Oxfam has just closed down their shop in Louth, it had been there for decades. I just hope it doesn't become another yet another coffee shop, or a barber's. Happy hunting at the car boot sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw two the other day but I was driving and no camera and if I'd stopped they would have been off and away

      Delete
  9. The wind and rain seems continuous. Everything is moist in Massachusetts too. It is raining today again. I am glad your French beans are doing well and the wind/rain is not doing any damage. Sadly, scams are common today and it is good to take caution. A boot sale sounds like fun. Surely, you'll find something of interest. Estate sales are more frequent now and I recently came home with an oriental rug. It's with the rug cleaner now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry that your weather assault is continuing along with the downturn in your town. It’s very challenging when an area’s economy changes over time. Our rural area has done the same and Covid finished off the few small local businesses. We’re left with two expensive groceries, a hardware store that doesn’t carry the small stuff it used to, a few drug store chains (one barely hanging on), one good , local drugstore and a fantastic, tiny bakery (desserts only) that is open part of the week. We survive and I drive out of the area for limited shopping and medical care and have learned to use Amazon. But, your writings are a most enjoyable part of the day and I look forward to a glimpse of life where you are. Keep up keeping on. You always put a smile on my face, Dear Heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such kind words about the blog. I enjoy writing and love researching things to write about

      Delete
  11. Gosh, I love those plates! I helped my friend with her garage sale yesterday and today and we sold almost $1,000 worth of stuff! It was freezing cold out and I had to wear a sweatshirt, jacket, and coat along with gloves and a winter hat. I was still shivering! But it was so fun helping people find the treasure they wanted and my friend was good at negotiating a fair price for them. You would have liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! what a good garage sale. I keep hoping the school will organise another village garden sale event in my village as they are always fun to look round

      Delete
  12. What a sweet officer to come and warn you all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unusual to see any police presence in the small villages. We will all be careful when opening our doors

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy reading what things you’ve come up with to eat. We always have a little of this and a little of that, and nice to make up something to eat with the veggies available. Also enjoy your days out exploring your area and churches, your boot sales, books, and what’s in the garden. Thanks for your daily posts!

    ReplyDelete