Wednesday 10 April 2024

READING THE SEASONS - The 4th Book for Spring + A.N.Other

  This was my 4th book with Spring in the title and it was spotting the cover of the book and buying it from the library For Sale shelf  that gave me the idea for Reading The Seasons.




Una is 15 and her sister Hal is 12 when their diplomat father summons them away from their English boarding school to start a new life with him in India. When she discovers their beautiful governess Alix is actually his mistress, she is furious. Bored and lonely, Una starts to spend time with Ravi, the gardener's young assistant. Ravi brings poetry and compassion into Una's life but what began as friendship soon blossoms into something forbidden.
This is a novel of class and caste distinction, expats and the leftover customs of the British Raj but it has wonderful descriptions of the colours and sights of  India. It was first published in 1975.

On the 'Book Read 2024' page is also a precis of another book read "All Around The Year" by Michael Morpurgo. I really enjoyed this diary of a year - 1976/7 - on a mixed farm in North Devon. He spent every day of a year working with the family who were going to be the main farmers for his  charity 'Farms for City Children' which was due to start the following year. There is a Ted Hughes poem for each month and photos from James Ravilious - both neighbours at the time. This is a 2023 Little Toller reprint of a book first published in 1979 and never reprinted until now. More about it HERE

Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. Oh, the Morpurgo one is definitely going on my wish list, it ticks all the boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the Michael Morpurgo book; I've added it to my wishlist. We had a farm holiday in Iddesleigh when I was little, over 60 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both those are on my wish list, thanks for the info. Sarah Browne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link to the Little Toller website. I got quite carried away in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a small collection of their Nature reprints now - lovely books

      Delete
  5. The books look intriguing. As a teenager I remember watching the film of Rumer Godden’s book The Greengage Summer. It had the theme of a teenager emerging. I will have to try a book of hers. The other book also looks interesting. Always nice to hear about books. Jean in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Greengage Summer is the only other book by Rumer Godden that I've read and a very long time ago but this is similar in being about a girl growing up

      Delete
  6. I enjoy your book posts. I rem reading Rumor Godden's books as a teenager, from my mom's shelf of vintage-y novels. I loved the teenage POV, Greengage summer also--and to me---exotic lives and settings. Oddly I now mostly remember loving the beautiful, colorful dust jackets and covers.
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may look out for some of her other books sometime too

      Delete
    2. Your library may have them, classics of a sort?

      Delete
  7. Books on the seasons and all they bring to us is a favorite topic. Growing and farming is also a wonderful read. The "farming for city children" site is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this book and really enjoyed it. Loving your reading through the seasons posts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a really interesting book. You always seem to read such diverse books and find some really interesting ones!

    ReplyDelete