Tuesday 9 April 2024

Goldfinch

One day towards the end of March  I could hear a Goldfinch  somewhere in the Sycamore tree............. they have a very twittery song - a mixture of different sounds............... and stood searching for it for several minutes because I've rarely seen any in the garden here. Later it was on the birdfeeder and I grabbed the camera and got a couple of not very good photos.



I bought a special Niger seed feeder to try and persuade them to visit but this one preferred the general seed feeder.




 When the family were visiting a couple of weeks ago Son (the only one of our 3 children to take after me and Colin in having any interest in birds) spotted two in the garden and there's been one singing  almost every time I've been outside since. Hopefully they are nesting somewhere around.

I did a search in posts to see if this was my first post mentioning seeing Goldfinches here and it is. Back in 2018 I took a picture of a whole group or "charm" of them on the ground under the feeders at Clay Cottage. A real difference in what we saw there - a cottage surrounded by fields with hedges and trees all round compared to here - a smaller garden surrounded by houses. 
Looking in my frequently mentioned book " A Sparrow's Life's as Sweet as Ours" I discovered the reason for a "charm" is because of the Old English for their twittering call "c'irm'.

It's a wonder we see any at all because in 1532 Henry VIII's Preservation of Grain Act put a price on the head of anything feathered or furred, that ate marketable food. It included the Goldfinch even though they feed mainly on thistle seed. The Act wasn't repealed until the eighteenth century.

 Then during the C19 they were often kept as caged birds.  W.H.Hudson wrote in 1895 "Unhappily it is now not very easy to see them, for the Goldfinch is a favourite caged bird and so long as bird-catching is permitted, this charming species will continue to decrease"

The Caged Goldfinch

Within a churchyard, on a recent grave
I saw a little cage
That jailed a Goldfinch. All was silence save 
It's hops from stage to stage.

There was inquiry in it's wistful eye,
And once it tried to sing,
Of him or her who placed it there, and why
No one knew anything

True, a woman was found drowned the day ensuing,
And some at times averred
The grave to be her false one's who when wooing
Gave her the bird.


Thomas Hardy 1840-1928


Number have increased since the mid 1980's when imported Niger seed became available for garden feeding and seemed to be a Goldfinch favourite.


Back Tomorrow
Sue




24 comments:

  1. We have quite a few goldfinches here, they flock with greenfinches during the winter and their numbers increased here about 20 years ago Like you at at Clay cottage we are surrounded by fields and hedges. Birds here pointedly ignored the Niger seed but feast on sunflower seeds instead. Neighbours a couple of fields away report that their Niger seeds are very popular. I love watching them eat the dandelion clocks in the fields. They also eat the evening primrose seeds in the garden, grown for them and the bats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss seeing the variety of birds we had over at the smallholding and at Clay Cottage - but at least have a few visitors

      Delete
  2. My previous garden was wonderful for goldfinches - I once counted seventeen around my bird table! Sadly I think I''ve only seen them a couple of times here despite putting niger and sunflower seeds out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have a lot of goldfinches in our garden, but rarely see them now, sadly. Such pretty little clowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they will appear more often here now they've found the feeders

      Delete
  4. I got fed up with mouldy Niger seed and gave up on it as they mostly ignored it and went for the sunflower seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have wasted my money on a niger seed feeder but will leave it there just in case

      Delete
  5. Do you know the book "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt? It is a wonderful novel and a picture of a goldfinch in captivity plays a very important role-
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read the book although it was very famous for a while

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos of a beautiful bird. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gold finch is a metaphor in art for the soul. That's an important underlying idea in The Goldfinch. The European goldfinch is quite different from the bird called goldfinch in North America. It's the state bird of NJ where I live, but rarer now because of habitat loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall investigate the North American Goldfinch

      Delete
  8. We have so few (to none) of finches that the niger seed feeder went untouched and eventually 'sprouted'. It's a shame because we would like some variety on the daily dose of sparrows (and a few tits).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the starlings eating all the mealworms that are the problem here

      Delete
  9. I love to see a goldfinch! So pretty. Yesterday I noticed I had lots of bees and butterflies on my grape hyacinths. So fun to see! The butterflies looked a bit like Monarchs but were smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gold finches here in the US are tiny compared to yours. There's no red on their head either. In the winter they lose the gold color. Just now they are getting it back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We too are very fortunate in having a good sized goldfinch population here in west Wales. They love the shelled sunflower seed, so I don't buy the niger seed anymore.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a coincidence. We had one visit the garden today, taking seeds from a plant pot near the house, and completely ignoring the niger seeds bought more in hope than expectation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your Goldfinch photo. Now that the Goldfinch has found your feeder, they will return regularly. Hopefully you have a pair. I see Goldfinch only occasionally. Massachusetts Goldfinch is mostly yellow with black wings and small light dots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of goldfinches here during the summer months. We love watching them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love English Goldfinches. American ones aren't quite as colourful. I did have a nice surprise at my birdfeeder the other day - a male and female bluebird pair came to visit! I don't see them very often in the garden so a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your goldfinch is so different from ours! American goldfinches are tiny things. Your birds look quite good sized, comparatively speaking. Do you have purple and house finches as well?

    ReplyDelete