...............................to a find in the hedge.
We didn't really want it anyway. It must have been a good idea when it was built but now just an eyesore.
So with a bit of hammering, unscrewing bolts and taking down, now it looks like this.
The cross beams of the pergola were still OK and I suggested we use them as the edges for a new bed for raspberries and Col said 4 of the posts would make another edging for a strawberry bed.
So using metal stakes and rope we measured out 2 square beds. It was while I was standing holding the end of the tape that I noticed something I recognised growing just in the foot of the blackthorn hedge that's between us and the field.
A young Walnut tree
The two long rails of the framework will be used for edging the 5th vegetable bed in the garden, the only one without anything around it. I'm not sure when we'll actually get the 2 new square beds made as the ground is like rock after our dry month.