Monday 26 June 2017

Small Spend at a Small Car Boot.............

and Bigger spend at the bigger car boot!


I found this photo on the camera from the nearest  car boot sale of several weeks ago, when the weather wasn't too good and there were not many there.



My small spend was a total of £2.60 on these useful things. 2 box files (20p each!), 100 muffin cases, 7 zoo animals, "Chatterbox" a Shirley Hughes book that was new to me and a Jack Wills shirt  for Col. He needs a few long sleeved shirts as he's supposed to keep covered from the sun due to the chemo tablets. Before cancer he preferred short sleeves so only had one or two thin cotton long sleeved.
 I said "look what I found for you............a Jack Wills shirt for 50p." . "Who?" he asked. " Jack Wills" I said, "They must be posh because they've got a shop in Aldeburgh!" " Looks like an ordinary shirt to me" he said! Totally unimpressed by the brand...............Thank Heavens.

We had to go out last Saturday to visit someone so called in at the Big boot sale on the way.

Col is feeling well at the moment so he walked round too and found 7 HUGE plastic flower pots which will be useful, the biggest is nearly 2 foot across. He paid £10 for the lot. The way the grapevine is growing in the conservatory we'll be needing that big pot quite soon.

I found this lot below and spent £5 on the chair - a bedroom chair for my bedroom. £2.50 on crafting bits which included loads of C6 envelopes, cards and inserts - with words - and some Christmas bits. The storage container and oven gloves came from the same stall for 75p each and I couldn't resist the  30 dolly pegs for £1. Then I saw some pink reins which I got for youngest and Florence. I'm not sure if young mums use reins nowadays but they were only £1 and might be handy especially as she will also have the dog when Florence wants to walk.

The craft bits have been sorted and put away and hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more card making soon. I've been cross stitching while watching the tennis so have a couple of little pictures to iron and  fit into card blanks.

Re the tennis, when the top seeds at the Queens club tournament were knocked out early I thought it would be one of the younger players who would win but in the end it was a brilliant final by two men who've been around for ages. Now I'm looking forward to July 3rd when Wimbledon starts although for the first time ever (as far as I know) the qualifiers will be on the BBC Red Button next week. Have you seen the trail for the Championships between other programmes on the Beeb, where a tennis ball bounces around the country causing chaos - all computer generated but very clever - I'm easily entertained!

Thank you for lots of comments on Saturdays post.

Back Soon
Sue

31 comments:

  1. You always manage to grab yourself some great bargains Sue.
    I adore Shirley Hughes books. We have several in this house. Lovely illustrations.
    I hope Col enjoys wearing his Jack Wills shirt. I have always found they wash and wear very well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got lots of Shirley Hughes books saved from when our lot were little but Hadn't seen Chatterbox before.

      Delete
  2. Some great bargains, I love the chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite sturdy as I found when I had to carry it across to the car!

      Delete
  3. Some great bargain for you there Sue, especially the chair. Pine chairs are popular round here and one like that would sell for about £60 or so!!

    Col is like my husband - couldn't give two hoots about a smart label on a shirt. My husband wears his clothes to death too - one t-shirt has just "died" (gone to be a polishing rag) and he bought that one in 1970!!!

    We haven't had the chance to go car booting since we were at the HUGE Cheddar car boot sale on the last morning of our holiday. This weekend we were selling and next weekend have a two day antiques fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seat of the chair has a little crack at the back which would knock the price down but otherwise fine and I reckon worth more than the £5. Very pleased.

      Delete
  4. And the BBC offered their usualy rubbish doubles cover. Didn't get to see Jamie play until the final on Sunday! Glad Lopez won, best chance for him this year. Eastbourne is also on tv, red button or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doubles were supposed to be on red button for the semis but Glastonbury was on instead and I didn't realise the finals were on so missed that too! Duh!

      Delete
  5. That chair you bought is just lovely - if I'd been there I'd have had to fight you for it! My OH couldn't care less about clothes labels, he wouldn't know a designer label if it hit him in the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was lucky as the stallholder had only just unpacked it from their car as I walked up to them.

      Delete
  6. Reins! There's a blast from the past. You don't see them these days, I think because everyone is so busy children get pushed everywhere for convenience.
    Waiting for Wimbledon too. Do you watch Great British Menu? They are celebrating Wimbledon this year, and last week they went to a tennis ball making factory. It was fascinating to see a tennis ball being made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I totally avoid ALL cooking programmes, done enough of it for the past 42 years!

      Delete
  7. I do love your car boot haul posts Sue....you always find such great and useful things.
    The chair is gorgeous-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People must think I'm always out buying things! but I'd rather buy from boot sales than shops so rarely buy "things" other than at car boots

      Delete
  8. What a great finds, especially the lovely chair! And for so little money.
    I love car booting, we always try to find one (or two) when we visit the UK in the Spring. We like Flea Markets as well. In The Netherlands we have them too but we prefer the UK ones.
    Hopefully we can still keep coming and buying as easy as today after the Brexit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any flea markets or even antique fairs anywhere close enough to visit which is a shame or maybe a good thing!

      Delete
  9. You are so good at ferreting out the goodies at Car Boots Sue - I can never find a thing and have stopped going. If I could be bothered I suppose I could have a stand at the moment with all the stuff I have taken to the Charity Shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity shops are glad to have good stuff as a lot of people only take in what they can't sell at car boots!

      Delete
  10. Reins are still a much needed item in my opinion!
    We bought some for our LJ, much easier and safer than chasing!
    Ours have straps to attach to high chairs etc when we're out, he doesn't try to escape from the chair (would rather sit and eat, eat, eat) but he has a tendency to lean toward the table suddenly, and as he almost gave his forehead a crack several times, it seemed sensible to restrain him ��
    They'll be really useful for your youngest when Florence is walking, child and dog both on a leash, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I got them I suddenly thought - Actually I'm not sure if she'll use them but as they were just £1 it's not too drastic if she doesn't

      Delete
  11. Lovely range of items you've managed to pick up. The chair is a great solid piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite heavy to carry when I took it back to the car! Small crack in back of seat but otherwise fine

      Delete
  12. I've kept my own children's reins - the oldest is nearly 30! When I have my 2yr and 3yr old granddaughters out, I put them on the reins. I find it much easier, especially if they stumble - better to dangle than fall!! I get the feeling they are out of fashion though as their dad (our son) just laughs at the idea of reins.
    Love that chair by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad Col was feeling well enough to take a walk around the boot sale! I'm really jealous of your wonderful crafty finds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finds at the CB. When the family were over the reins were used for GD. DS and DDIL totally with the idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the chair....what a fab bargain! Reins are a definite with my grandson.
    Eloise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Sue, I don't often comment but I do regularly read - you have done very well there. That chair is the spit of two Carver chairs I have in my dining room. You did very well snaffling it at a fiver. Some other lovely useful bits too. Fingers crossed for you both and glad you are loving your new home. Take care. Pattypanx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you hear Shirley Hughes guest editing wonan's hour on Monday? I only heard bits as I was out with DofE kids, interesting enough to find on the Web and relishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the rock maple (?) chair! You have a great eye! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Playing catch ups with my favorite blogs , I missed this post really glad col is feeling better at the moment , my husband has not got a clue about labels either xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear Col is feeling well. I'm not sure Mark would know a branded shirt but he'd definitely recognise one from Sainsburys! I shall be purchasing reins pretty soon myself for Sienna in whatever form they're sold these days. I have no intention of trying to break into a run to catch her :) xx

    ReplyDelete