Thursday 6 July 2017

Now it's useful

From an eyesore at the bottom of the garden


To very useful edging for  new raspberry and strawberry beds - just need to add compost and more soil on the deeper strawberry bed and by happy (but expensive) chance we've got to have a new concrete hard standing for a new oil tank so there will be some dirt dug out and it can be put here.
Also enough for edging for the bed we re-claimed from grass. The long rails were exactly the right length to cut to make the four sides, how handy was that!


Much better than cutting it up for firewood!

Day 4 of painting the living room and I was shuffling round the floor on my bum doing the skirting board of the walls so far painted. I needed to get this done so as to move the dresser base back to where it was so that I can do the wall where we moved it to.............if you follow! Two more bits of walls were sanded down, washed down and holes filled. I do hope you're enjoying this daily update of my painting achievements!!

A few weeks ago I wrote about the flying ants in the kitchen, well I've been hoovering up ants every few days since. There's no way to find the nest as it must be somewhere under the floor or in the brickwork of the old chimney behind the range cooker. I was thinking ........this is going to be annoying every summer but then at Wimbledon yesterday there were plagues of flying ants everywhere, something that hadn't been noted there before and they said it was "Flying Ant Day" when the queen leaves the nest. Our ants the other week were a bit early but hopefully this means it's a really bad year (or good if you are an ant!) and hopefully we shouldn't see many more.


Back Again ASAP
Sue

15 comments:

  1. Brilliantly repurposed and just think of all the strawberries you'll be enjoying when Wimbledon is on next year.
    I am keeping up to date with your painting, as once Lily starts school in September I have a whole house to decorate and I am not looking forward to it. You will be my inspiration.
    Let's hope you've seen the last of the ants. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the flying ants were out in droves round here too. Pesky things.

    You're doing so well inside and out, you are one hard grafter. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to get flying ants in each year in our old farmhouse...but it was just once a year...lovely frames...just what I would like here...may have to venture into the top shed...male territory...when alone later and see what supplies could be pilfered! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you will soon be ant free, great reuse of the old pergola!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there such things as ant experts who could tell you where the nest is so that it could be destroyed? Although of course they do little harm, but are just a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now all you need is a cow on some of that land of yours and you'll have fresh cream to go on your strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those raised beds look so neat.

    There have been flying ants in the little town where my son lives but we haven't had any at all-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flying ants. Shudder. Once in a while there seems to be a summer full of them. I remember getting the washing in when it was covered with the little...devils. I had a small infestation of ants, but got rid of them fairly quickly. My gripe right now is when I'm out walking I get 'attacked' by these things that hubby says are deer flies. They bite and they hurt. I have large blotches where they have bitten me. Sigh. Probably why I prefer Spring or Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horse flies here - much the same - big and bitey!

      Delete
  9. I am glad i am not the only one who has flying ants in the house , They are in the old brickwork in the bay , Got in touch with the landlord as the bay needs to come out , They won't do it we have to pay for the council to come out and treat them but they will go away and come back again next year , It makes us feel dirty its not very nice when they are dropping into the living room , We sit there with an old vacuum sucking them up , Its not nice , They are horrible xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raised beds - perfect! Did you lay something on the soil first, or just took off the sod? We had regular ants in our kitchen a couple of months ago. The flying ants are a strange phenomenon. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Years ago my sister and BIL had one of those plug in ultrasonic ant repellers in their kitchen. They were painting & decorating and decided to throw it out, as they didn't really think it worked. That summer they were absolutely plagued with ants, and eventually decided to get a new repeller. No problems at all since! If the ants remain a problem maybe it might be worth a try? Eilidh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs F actually left one of those ultrasonic things plugged in the workshop. I thought they were just for mice/rats but we could bring it in and see if it gets rid of the kitchen ants.

      Delete
  12. I'm a fan of raised beds, less bending can only be good xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I planted a strawberry bed behind a retaining wall last year and this year I stood up to pick berries! Planning on a raised strawberry bed next spring at our new house. Already have the lumber (leftover from something else). We are getting ready to sell our current home (it will officially be on the market next Friday) and a friend and I painted about half of it (I crossed her palms with silver). I remember curling up behind a big dresser to paint what you call the skirting boards...the hard part was getting back up again. Loving your recent posts!

    ReplyDelete