Saturday 7 August 2021

Saturday 7th

My first very small vegetable harvest from my new garden at the beginning of the week.

 I've had a few strawberries from the 6 plants I brought here and  a few raspberries from the canes that were already here and then a small cucumber from the pathetic cucumber plant that didn't like being outside. .......very pleased to be able to add the 'Growing Food' label at the bottom of the post and I'm looking forward to next year already. 

On the table this week a small jug of Hydrangeas from the garden. This was the bush that looked half-dead when I moved here in May- caught by a late frost but it recovered well. I've looked up the right time for pruning as there are 3 different Hydrangeas here that provide late summer colour so it would be a good idea to look after them properly.

 

Blue, Colors, Competition, Event, Five 

 

Catching up on Yesterday at the Olympics ..... Day 14
In between baking things I saw a bit of the Ladies Madison cycle event. I heard someone explaining it on the radio before Chris Boardman (one of GB's first cycling medalists from years ago) explained it on the TV and still hadn't a clue except there are dozens of cyclists on the track all at once and it's a sort of a relay with sprint laps, it goes on for 120 laps  and there were lots of crashes! Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny were just amazing, dominating all the way, in this first ever Olympic Ladies Madison. Laura has now won medals in  3 Olympics and has 5 Gold Medals!!
I need to make a note of the sports in a Modern Pentathlon because the question of which 5 events are included came up in a quiz once (Fencing, show jumping, swimming,running and shooting all on one day). I watched some of it and saw the GB lady Kate French win another GOLD - things are going well. Also saw Laura Muir get a well deserved silver medal in the 1,500 metres on the track.
There was another bronze on the bikes for Jack Carlin,a bronze in the women's hockey and yet another in the 4 x 100 metres for the GB women with the Men's 4 x 100 finishing with GB losing by a 100th of a second to Italy but a silver is really good considering some of the dreadful years when the baton was so often dropped.
Olympic 4x100m relay photo finishOlympic 4x100m relay photo finish

GB ended day 14 with 58 medals and back to 4th in the medal table.

I'm going to miss watching the Olympics everyday but not too much as Eldest Daughter and Grandson are staying for a few days and after they go I really need to get back to gardening and moving the soil from bag to the veg beds rather than sitting about half the morning! But well done to the BBC, knowing we will be missing the Olympics they've started teasing us with news of the celebs (those known and those unknown!) taking part in Strictly Come Dancing later in the year.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. I may be a bit busy over the next few days but there are a few posts in drafts so they might get published if I have time. 

Back in a short while 
Sue

14 comments:

  1. It's lovely to have homegrown veg, the taste is so much nicer. The hydrangea is beautiful, lacecaps are my favourite ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I meant to say have a lovely weekend with family, hope they all enjoy your baking x

      Delete
  2. I had my first coffee since Covid started with a friend yesterday. Took her some hydrangeas as well from my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to have your own veg again - it tastes so much nicer fresh picked.
    I'm finding I recognise all the Strictly names so far - I've never had that before. I guess when they introduce the social media contestants, I won't have heard of any of them, however, or the boy/girl band people!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on your vegetable harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your family weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hydrangea is a beautiful colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was excited to hear the first names for the next series of Strictly too. Well done the harvest and hope you have a great weekend with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize you had time to grow some vegetables with your move and all. Those look wonderful and I'm sure you will enjoy them. It will be strange to not have the Olympics on but I do have a lot to catch up on around the house and before we know it there will be the new Fall programs coming on TV.

    Enjoy your weekend and especially your family! It is a blessing when family can come together. Maybe you can get a picture of those wonderful, growing grands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed you moved and still got the garden producing, nice! I am hoping our late summer/fall garden is better than the summer's turned out--weeks of 90+ degrees must have been too much. Hope the family visit was just what you needed for your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spending time with family is the best. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slowly getting a harvest of fresh veggies here as well. I am a bit disappointed as I planted scarlet runner beans and got a grand total of 2 beans from all the plants. Oh well the flowers were nice.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit that I haven't been watching a lot of the Olympics but it's lovely how well Team GB is doing! Makes us all so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete