Friday 27 August 2021

The August Library Book Photo

 Picked up these from the mobile library yesterday. All books I'd requested on line. There's a definite crime shortage and even one of the two here I'm not sure of as it's a new to me author.

From the top down

  • Juliet Blaxland - The Easternmost Sky. Second book by this author about living with coast erosion 
  • S.J. Bennett - The Windsor Knot - new to me author. The Queen solves a mystery ( sounds odd)
  • Ronald Blythe - A Writers Day Book. I'm gradually reading my way through his books
  • Margot Bennett - The Widow of Bath. Another British Library Crime Classic
  • Clare Leighton - Country Matters. A Little Toller Books reprint with short pieces and her wonderful engravings
  • John Lewis-Stempel - Woodston;The biography of an English Farm. Latest book by this well know author of country writing
  • Sarah Maine - Women of the Dunes.Saw this on a blog I think. New to me author. Not sure if I'll like it.
  • Brett Cobley - Easy Vegan. I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but gradually moving towards eating meat only a couple of times a month. 

Only 8 books including a few I'm not sure of so I reckon I'll be reading from my shelves before the next van visit - which will actually be a Very Good Thing! 

 So how did I get on with last months books?

I read The Screaming Sky (a separate post about it HERE), Brass Lives, Stour Seasons, A Little History of Exmoor,The Circling Sky and Guilty Creatures and skimmed through Nomadland (seen the film taken from the book and decided I didn't need to read it all properly). Then I went to Sowmarket Library after the boot sale last Saturday and picked up a copy of The Skylarks War by Hilary McKay  so that I could quickly re-read it before starting  The Swallows Flight. They are children's books but better than some adult books I've tried recently and well deserved of the prizes they've won. I zoomed through them both as they are so good.
More details about these on the separate Books Read 2021 page.

I didn't read the Ngaio Marsh 3 in One - couldn't be bothered and the print was really small and the cookery book was mostly about building a home smoker and pizza oven.

Back Tomorrow
Sue 

21 comments:

  1. Hello Sue. I haven’t read Women of the Dunes but can definitely recommend House between the Tides by the same author (Sarah Maine)
    Takecare
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started it already - and it is good so far. 3 time periods and archaeology!

      Delete
  2. The SJ Bennett Royal one sounds... interesting. I enjoyed ALAN Bennett's "Uncommon Reader" which was also a fictional piece about the Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame you for leaving the cookery book - it sounds very niche!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened it , flicked through and took it back to a library just a few days later!

      Delete
  4. How long do you read for each day? I just fit in reading when I can (breakfast time!, late afternoon and a few pages at bedtime). You certainly get through a good few books. I can remember reading Ronald Blythe's Akenfield when I was in my early 20s but didn't know he had written lots more. I can see I shall have to look out for them.

    I have been loaned Woodston, so it is in my BIG pile of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read quite quickly, only in the evenings usually, depends what I'm doing and whats on TV. I could read a book a day if I tried!

      Delete
  5. I have all Ronald Blythe's books Sue - I love his writing - he writes so beautifully about Nature and about John Nash and his work. I have written to him several times about things and I always get a lovely reply. I don't know whether he is still alive although if he had died there would surely have been an obit - he is well in his nineties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now read most of his collections from The Church Times, this one is different. He is still alive and 98 years old!

      Delete
  6. Those look good
    I have been vegetarian for 30 years…never missed animals…am vegan except…I sometimes have cheese on a pizza once a month or so but usually use vegan cheese…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still eat a little meat but don't really need to

      Delete
  7. I need the Widow of Bath. That one sounds very good to me. Actually, several do (The Windsor Knot and maybe if in a different form, Ngaio Marsh.) What a good collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the 2nd BLCC by this author so should be OK

      Delete
  8. You have lots of good reading material there I hope. I think I would have given the cookbook nary a second glance as I don't need a pizza oven or smoker.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've recently read The Windsor Knot. Enjoyed it. Hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how I came to know about it, perhaps another blogger has mentioned it

      Delete
  10. I read a lot too. Mostly mysteries and I often use the recommendations I see on blogs to reserve books at my own library. Thanks for your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people say they like my library book photos - always good to share reading ideas

      Delete
  11. I am enjoying the Donna Leon "Inspector Brunetti" series that I believe was recommended here on your blog.
    Only distraction is the constant references to money, one pauses: "is ten billon lire a lot of money or a couple of dollars?". A fun add on, on my used book books site I found a cookbook that explores the foods of Venice referred to in the books, as the Brunetti family meals seem so enticing. It was used, for only a few dollars.

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    lizzy / gone to the beach

    ReplyDelete