Saturday 21 August 2021

Saturday Round-Up and the Donated Meal

A quiet week - in several ways. The weather didn't do much, cloud, drizzle and just a few bursts of sunshine and the road that goes out of the village to the A140 is closed for 10 days so the amount of traffic going by was cut by about 99% .

On Tuesday evening I walked just a few minutes up the road to the WI meeting . It was the first real meeting since covid. Now here is an odd thing - when I started Small WI in 2017 the only person I knew was the President (my sister in law). When I started Big WI at Bacton a few months later one of the 3 people I knew was the President (she was the Mum of one of the Cub-Scouts in my pack in the 1980s with a son the same age as Eldest Daughter). Now in this WI the only person I knew was ........yes...... The President (she was Cub-Scout Leader in this  village in the 1980's when I was Cub Scout Leader in Bacton) Reckon I must be well connected!
 As it was the first proper meeting since March 2020 there was no speaker because a lot of sorting out was needed and disappointingly one of the things that came up was the desperate need for a new Treasurer and Secretary. If no one comes forward by the November AGM this WI will be suspended. Bother! Just as I find somewhere I can walk to! This is such a shame as it's a good sized WI with 40 members.
I'm waiting to hear when Bacton WI will get going with real in person meetings again as I want to carry on going there  - it still works out well with meetings in alternate weeks and I'm closer now too.

A couple of odd things have happened to the blog this week. 
When I go into posts to start a new post or to add to one in drafts, I get the page in Html format = gobbledygook - so that I have to click top left to change to Compose Mode. A warning comes up
 
Switch to compose mode?
Your HTML content is invalid. Switching to the compose mode may lose a part of your content.
 
Invalid content?  What on earth does that mean . Once in compose mode it's back to normal, for a while.
Also the ability to add/delete blogs to the "blogs I read" sidebar has been complicated by needing to go into the layout page.
Then on Wednesday my post didn't update on other peoples "blogs I Read" list. I tried logging out and logging back in again - but that made no difference. Ho Hum!
When I met up with Rachel-in-Norfolk for coffee yesterday we agreed that so many blogger changes seem completely pointless - especially if it was working perfectly well before.

Many years ago, so long I'd forgotten, we used to celebrate our early vegetable harvest by having a plateful of fresh vegetables from the garden with some cheese sauce.  I only remembered when I was given some runner beans from my sister and a courgette and sweetcorn cob from BiL Andrew. I couldn't be bothered to make cheese sauce so just grated some cheese on top......and a bit of butter on the corn. Everything straight from their gardens to my plate....delicious! Thank you to both.

Back Monday
Sue
 

27 comments:

  1. Sue when I read of your meeting up with Rachel I am so envious - do wish I ived near enough to join you.
    As to your complicated explanations about your computer - your explanations are al gobbledegook - my knowledge of the workings of such things is so sketchy. If something goes wrong I just switch off leave it all to stew and then switch on again hoping it has righted itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't have problems with writing or posting your blog - it's very annoying

      Delete
  2. Perhaps you should consider taking on a role at the WI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to arrive and immediately get onto the committee - but who knows - although I would never want the Treasurers job

      Delete
  3. I agree with Angela you would be an asset to the WI I spent 30years in the WI and did so many jobs which I enjoyed and made many friends, the only one I would never do was President I was always asked - but I could not drive and you need to especially for Middlesex was a big area.
    I had an interesting day at Hughenden Manor with my D and friends.
    Have a lovely weekend Sue and others.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After being involved with committees in Scouting and a playgroup I always say I'm now allergic to committees!

      Delete
  4. Good to see you yesterday. Hopefully Morrisons café will have improved its supply of food and beverages by next month when we meet up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't get much worse - we could always go to Greggs - I'm partial to their vegan sausage rolls

      Delete
  5. I wish they would stop altering things as well. Lovely veg and next year, you will be harvesting your own again, how grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent ages fiddling in settings trying to work out why it had changed but now assume it was them and not me

      Delete
  6. You mention changes when you create posts? I usually have you and John @ Going Gently delivered to my inbox each morning via Bloglovin, the last 10 days you have been missing, I thought you were AWOL until I googled and roughly blog direct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still here!! That mifght explain why reader numbers have dropped drastically through last week

      Delete
  7. By the way, I read Round-Up as Roundup (spray) and Donated and Detonated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the tip (clicking in the top left hand corner), hadn't seen that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an annoying change - I can't see why they've done it. Perhaps it will change back sometime

      Delete
  9. Blogger drives me crazy. Photos I've uploaded shift position all by themselves as I type so my layout is often erratic. I haven't had post alert emails for a very long time either and gave to search for favourites every single time.
    I love the look of your donated meal, Sue, so fresh and tasty. Can't beat garden to plate veg.
    I'm still trying to get to a WI meeting. There are 2 to choose from but I have no idea when they will reopen. Bother..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I knew why blogger needs to change things - need a reason!
      Hope your local WI's get going soon - many older members in some WI's are still so worried

      Delete
  10. How nice that you were able to attend a WI meeting. I hope it does not get suspended, especially since it is in walking distance. It does seem like Blogger is always changing things. Some days you just don't know what to expect from it. Your vegetable plate sure looks good. There is nothing like fresh picked corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never buy corn cobs as they are only good straight from the plant. Maybe I will grow just a few next year

      Delete
  11. To say this is a Google platform it is very badly supported

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Angela and think you should consider taking on a role. Your fresh veggie plate looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely think about helping the WI out. I'm a WI Adviser in mid-Wales and so many WIs are struggling to find replacement officers. With 40 members surely someone will step up - I do hope so. Enjoy reading your blog, sister-in-law and her husband live in Stowmarket and we've been to Stonham Barns . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogger can be a pain. So far I am doing just fine with it, but have gone through many a trial earlier in the year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WI = Women's Institue? Like Extension Club here on the prairie, I'm guessing. They have mostly gone by the way-side, replaced with civic groups or church ladies' assemblies. I don't belong to any as I'm working FT.

    Veg: We were gifted 12 ears of sweet corn and 12 cucumbers yesterday by some neighbors. A customer brought me 6 sweet onions that are as big as a softball! I also purchases some green beans at the Farmer's Market and DS2 gave me a zucchini (courgette to you). My tomatoes are slowly producing enough to eat every so often, but I'm putting the word out that I will take canning tomatoes & apples to put up.

    ReplyDelete