Wednesday 25 August 2021

Wednesday Allsorts.....................

.........but mainly seen, read or heard.

This  weeks copy of the Radio Times has news of lots of crime dramas for Autumn TV.....Very Exciting.............for me anyway.

Vera is back for a short run and a new Shetland series (Thought they said there wouldn't be anymore). Ann Cleeves really is earning money because The Long Call - first of her new series based in North Devon will be a 4 part TV programme on ITV later this year.
Endeavour is back on ITV in September and P.D James' detective Adam Dalgleish will feature in 3 x two part series set in the 70's on Channel 5 later this autumn
Vigil  sounds good but claustrophobic as it's about the investigations into a death on a Royal Navy Submarine, and Silent Witness returns again. I've been watching on iplayer from the start, think I'm up to about series 15 now and have got to the point when I might have seen them before.
Although this week, I'll be watching the Paralympians in Tokyo. I'm always amazed by their skills of succeeding despite their disabilities.
(Also mentioned in this weeks RT was news that the age for getting free prescriptions will be raised to 66 -very soon, to match pension age, another bit of bad news for people struggling with poor health and poverty, (bad news buried?)

  I'm very attracted to books that have chapters for the months of the year or for the seasons , so when I picked up this below in a charity shop and opened it to find it had things to do to celebrate the wheel of the year it had to come home with me.

.

.

The Channel 4 programme on Monday night "Summer of Wild Weather" highlighted this summer's extremes of weather around the world..........Suffolk missed them all......no heatwaves, no floods, no storms, no wild-fires......... Thank goodness, although just a teeny bit more warmth would have been good.

And finally............ on the Radio 4 Today programme Chris Packham said "every time you buy something containing palm oil you are helping to destroy a little bit more of the habitat of so many wild animals". That's why for many years I've been checking labels and cheered when I found Aldi were now stocking peanut butter that only contains peanuts - no salt, no sugar and definitely no palm oil.

Back Tomorrow 
Sue


28 comments:

  1. I have just finished a terrific book called "Meadowland" by John Lewis-Stempel.
    It records the seasons and all their wildlife and weather on an almost daily basis in a couple of fields on his farm on the English/Welsh border. Well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read several of his and have Woodston - Biography of a Farm coming from the library soon but haven't read Meadowland. His book of a year living on wild food was very odd

      Delete
    2. Meadowland is the only book of his that I've read and as a Voluntary Warden of a local nature reserve I found the book really inspiring.

      Delete
  2. I try to not buy anything with palm oil in it but even with glasses, I sometimes can’t read the ingredients. We love detective series as well so most of them will be watched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up about the new series. I was briefly excited that Nicola Walker had recently filmed "Annika" (originally broadcast on BBC Radio 4) until I discovered it is only available on the Alibi channel this autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the trailer for it but perhaps it will transfer to somewhere we can see it next year

      Delete
  4. Looks a good Autumn season on television coming our way. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I check for palm oil too - it turns up in everything. I have to check ingredients anyway because of my histamine levels being affected by certain foods. I know the main spectrum of things fortunately. Foods need to be as fresh as possible and drinks need to be sulphite free (now THAT ain't easy, especially wines. I stick to an Organic white from Aldi).

    I pricked up my ears at the sound of all the new crime programmes for the autumn too and have recorded the first Vera, but when I will get time to view them I don't really know. Have so much recorded as well. I watch perhaps 2 hours of tv a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what you have recorded but the new series of Vera starts this sunday coming

      Delete
    2. As I discovered yesterday when I watched Series 1, first episode!!! That's what comes of not concentrating (something I am all too guilty of lately).

      Delete
  6. I have also refused to buy items containing palm oil for several years now, if I see it on food ingredients, however, I am now in a bit of a dilemma as there is also sustainably grown palm oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make lots of things from scratch which helps with avoiding palm oil

      Delete
  7. Vera, Shetland, Endeavour and Dalgeish - looking forward to all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me Too and the new series from the new Ann Cleeves shoukd be good

      Delete
  8. Love Vera and Shetland,glad they made more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just 2 Vera this Autumn and 2 more in the spring - good news

      Delete
  9. I enjoy crime dramas too but we do not often get yours right away. I will have to keep a lookout on Netflix and my PBS station.
    I didn't know about palm oil. I will have to find out more about that!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our crime dramas get over to you soon.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I wonder who is playing Matthew Venn? I hope that lands on our US TV or streaming services soon. That sounds like a good book. Good grief. I just posted July books a week or two ago and now I have to start doing the August post so it doesn't land at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked it up and Matthew Venn is played by Ben Aldridge - then I had to look him up as it's not a name I know. He's been in things on TV here that I've not seen. BUT has been in something called Pennyworth which is a US crime drama which as far has I know hasn't been on TV here

      Delete
  11. "every time you buy something containing palm oil you are helping to destroy a little bit more of the habitat of so many wild animals"

    Oh no. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again for a great tip. I hate peanut butter but my husband loves the stuff, so next time we need some we will try Aldi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Managing Director of Iceland (Richard Walker) pledged to remove all palm oil from all own brand products by 2018 - they achieved this and continue to produce all own brand range without it - hats off to Iceland x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iceland have also pledged to remove all plastic from their own brand range by 2023 - they really are a brand that put their words into action.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like a good crime series too. The investigation, interviewing suspects and gathering evidence to prove guilt or innocence if fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. New Shetland series, oh joy! Thanks for sharing that news, even if it will be ages before we see in over here.

    ReplyDelete