Tuesday 5 October 2021

One of the Ten Oldest........................

.........Post Boxes in the country.

This is beside a busy road junction in Framlingham which is a town between me and the coast. I've driven past 100's of times but never walked out from the town centre car park for a closer look.

 

It gets a mention in my little book Old Letter Boxes by Martin Robinson.It was made in 1856 by Andrew Handyside of Derby for the Post Office's Eastern District.

1856 is just four years after the very first letter boxes were erected in the Channel Islands.

 

Early postboxes all had vertical apertures. In the book this postbox still has a white metal collection times plaque  on the front but that has now gone. The letter box seems to be still in use.

I should have asked in the Post Office if it was still used but I've only just thought of it! Framlingham is one of the few places that still has a proper Post Office where they still also sort local mail for picking up and delivering in the area.

I'll have to wait for the fuel situation to resolve before I go and search for the other very old letter box still in use in the County.

Back Tomorrow
Sue
PS Must say welcome to two more people who have clicked the follower button. It was 705 for ages so I'm pleased to see it's now 707. Hope you like reading my wafflings from Suffolk


 

22 comments:

  1. This, and another Framlingham postbox are the two oldest boxes still in use in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there were two in Fram. I shall check out the other - it's on a little back street in the middle of town

      Delete
  2. I wonder why they always painted them red like that? I like it anyway, as it is so distinctive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the Postboxes in Suffolk label it will take you to the first one I did which has a bit of history

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see it still standing after all that time. Obviously, things were made to last back in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's done well to avoid being knocked down by traffic!

      Delete
  4. Interesting box Sue - I don't think I have seen one like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why they changed from vertical to horizontal slots?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This letter box design exceeds the test of time. The tall slim design and red paint is striking. The boxes you have posted all seem very well maintained with fresh paint and no dents and damage showing. In contrast, sadly some letter boxes in the US can be in a state of disrepair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some were looking a bit sad but it looks as if many have had a new coat of paint in the last few years

      Delete
  7. It makes mailing a bill just a little more pleasant
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for mentioning about following you. I have been visiting you for quite a while but have forgotten about the "follow" button! Now you are up to 710! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. It's a bit childish to like the numbers going up but I do!

      Delete
  9. This is so interesting to see. How amazing that this box has been in use since 1856. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an unusual sight and amazing not to have been knocked over by a truck

      Delete
  10. Darn....we went to Framlingham in the summer, but missed it! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those postboxes are works of art. So striking and to think that they are still in use is amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice old post box! I remember seeing them when in England. We'd been to Framlingham as well for an event as well.Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had one of these just a few miles from us. I always used to look out for it as we drove down that road. They have moved it now but I don't know where to. It has been replaced by one of those small ones that are set into a brick wall. Not nearly so nice : )

    ReplyDelete