Tuesday 19 October 2021

Taste Test

 I'm not vegetarian but I rarely eat meat now, I just don't like it much anymore.( Plus after nearly 20 years of producing our own, nothing bought can compare). So I've been trying out some different frozen vegetarian things that I can pop in the oven and then eat with a big heap of fresh veg.

The Co-op Goats Cheese and Vegetable Lattices.........bottom right.......... are delicious, I've been buying these for several years. They are full of flavour and are (I think) £1.79 for the pack of two - so 90p for my meal. I eat these with a big heap of steamed or quickly boiled vegetables but NOT potatoes, mainly because the Lattices are pastry so spuds are not needed but also because after cooking potatoes for Colin for 38 years (he loved potatoes mashed ((shudder)) and whole plain boiled ) I just don't buy them or eat them often. (Except when I have pensioners fish and chips!)


A few weeks ago  when I went to the Co-op they didn't have the Lattices so I bought the Quorn Garlic and Mushroom Escalopes instead. I think of  Quorn as  "artificial meat", it's OK but not wonderfully tasty and I  avoid eating it very often . My verdict on these is.............. Edible but not outstanding and they need something  really tasty served with them to give a bit of flavour. I ate the second with some sweet onion chutney(marmalade) on top and that improved it immensely. I think they were a bit more expensive than the Lattices.

Next time I went to Morrisons and saw The Spinach, Leek and West Country Cheddar Parcels I thought they would perhaps be a bit similar to the Co-op bakes but they weren't. Instead I found the first one Totally Tasteless, and  I'm not sure where the cheddar was. So when cooking the second I added some grated cheese on top for the last few minutes in the oven which improved things a bit but they won't be bought again. They are £2 for the pack of two at the moment.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

 

24 comments:

  1. Fun to try some new things, don't have to be veggie/vegan to include it in your diet of course - I am mainly veggie and like all the quorn products - my favourite is their Best of British sausages and the quorn mince which makes really good stuffed peppers, bolognoise, shepherds pie. I haven't tried the Co-op range it looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, quorn definitely needs something to give it more ooomph of flavour. As you say, it's OK.
    The lattices look lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Co Op brand seems to know how to prepare good tasty meals. The goat cheese lattices sound excellent. I'll look for them. Lately I've been making soup and stew and they are especially good now that the cool weather is here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat Quorn but used it is highly flavoured meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like the Tesco Cauliflower cheese grills and Bird's Eye vegetable fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cauliflower Cheese grills are probably one of the veggie things that have been around the longest - I used to like them but haven't tried them for ages.

      Delete
  6. I still can't get over the Richmond's vegetarian sausages, they come in a similar packet to the meat one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sticking to real meat sausages and bacon because the C0-op have local made in Suffolk from a village not to far away.

      Delete
  7. I have tried Quorn but also found it tasteless. As I no longer eat cheese (too much fat!) it is difficult to find something else to add a bit of zing to vegetarian meals. I do use a few bottled flavours such as the Mary Berry balsamic vinaigrette, which is great for adding some oomph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, not fully vegetarian but do not enjoy much meat these days. I've found the best sausages are fresh ones from Cauldron, pack of six and and they freeze brilliantly.

    If you've not already tried the frozen range from Sainsbury's, err, just my opinion but it would be quicker to put your money straight in the rubbish bin. Utterly inedible . . .

    Quorn does not have much taste on its own but is great in casseroles, chilli, curry, bolognaise where the flavour is coming from everything else. I make the sauce first and add the Quorn at the end, then freeze for later. It's not brilliant if it is over-cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it's a good thing I have no Sainsbugs within sensible shopping distance!

      Delete
  9. I would say avoid Co-op Curries too - worst I have ever had. My husband's Army word for them would be "gopping" which sums it up! Never eaten Quorn - we are still dedicated meat eaters in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We like quorn mince in a chilli mix, cooked with onion, tomatoes,red beans and any vegetables around that you can grate in,chilli spice to taste. Nice with baby spinach and sliced advocado. We like this with pita bread crisps but you can have tortilla or cornbread or rice is nice.We don't mind Aldi's vegetarian sausages.I am in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are the Goats Cheese and Veg Lattices fresh or frozen please Sue - my son is vegetarian and it would be nice to try it on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are frozen and cook from frozen and very tasty

      Delete
  12. As Jenny says, quorn mince is good. We also like cauliflower cheese girls (as we call them) and escalopes. Cheese and onion/leek pie is always a hit with me. Our vegetable patch is now full of leeks and onions ready to try making our own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite often meals such as they have high saturates, sugar and salt contents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recommendation for the Coop lattices. I can't for the life of me work out why some of the veggie options are so tasteless when there are so many things that they could add to make it flavoursome. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Veggie and vegan foods can be very hit and miss can't they. I've found that a lot of the Tesco Wicked! range is very good and M&S have really upped their game with vegan offerings. Their vegan Kievs are THE best out there and their loaded fries are too moreish for words.

    To be honest I've not found many pastry goods that are brilliant so I buy rolls of ready made pastry when I see it reduced and have it in the freezer ready to make my own pies, quiches or pasties ... and much to your horror I love a good mashed potato and butter pie. Double carbing all the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The older I get the less I like meat. If not for my husband (who loves it) I would not even buy any. I think it is difficult to find much in the way of frozen meals that taste good. Of course that just could be here or maybe I don't look in the right places. It sure would make life easier if there were better frozen foods available!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can still enjoy meat, but am finding I eat less of it at a meal and fill up on veggies when I can.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoy the occasional piece of red meat, but have been trying to introduce some vegetarian dishes to our diet as buying meat is so horrendously expensive. I'm not always that successful :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those look delicious! I'm not a meateater. I haven't been for years. I do have fish and chips when I come back to England but that's it. It's not easy to be vegetarian over here in the US (though it is getting a little easier). My problem is that there is lots of fake meat products. I don't want fake meats! I want veggie things which aren't a thing over here. I really did enjoy having decent vegetarian options when I was home in England. The prices were really good too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete