Friday 8 October 2021

She's Definitely Lost The Plot!

It was the Wednesday boot sale a few weeks ago and fishing through a box of books that one of the house clearance bods had on the ground by his van I found 2 old scrapbooks of postcards and cuttings.

One of them opened at a page with a poster and postcards about and by the artist Eric Ravilious. I love his work.


The man only wanted a £1 for the two so I bought them.....................for goodness sake .............why do I want someone else's collections?!

I just couldn't bear the thought of them being chucked on a bonfire or in a dustbin 

I've taken many of the postcards out of the black paged book (it had lots of empty pages but some beautiful postcards which I will keep) and unstuck what I could from the  other book  as it was an old sticky-type photo album that isn't acid-free several were spoiled by the glue and others spoiled by damp.  I've bought  some photo corners and I'm going to amalgamate the two then add in some postcards that I've had around for ages and find some more pictures from an old childrens book and turn the black-paged book into my own scrapbook.
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue


22 comments:

  1. That's a nice find, must have been meant to find its way to you as you are a fan of the artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ERs work too. What a glorious find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The postcards of his are lovely and the only way to own some of his art!

      Delete
  3. I would have done the same as well. I hate waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can keep a few of the cards and old cuttings

      Delete
  4. No Sue you haven't lost the plot...they are treasure. I love the photos of our locality that Erics son James took. He even visited my primary school when it was closing. Beaford archives have many online..especially of the February 1978 storm which is a local legendary event. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking something I'd vaguely heard of so I could look up more information - I love blogging! it's so good to find out things!

      Delete
  5. They are wonderful and while I am trying to clean out I would of bought them also. Can't wait to see your finished album
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have various collections and appreciate it when something can be added easily to the collection. The book and postcards were a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to have collections now - except books!

      Delete
  7. I love old postcards and those look particularly nice. Nope, you haven't lost the plot completely ... but you could be on the way just like me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of postcards of things in museums that I'll never get to go to so it's good to be able to see them

      Delete
  8. I love the art of Eric Ravilious.Have you read Long Live Great Bardfield by Tirzah Garwood? She was Eric’s wife.It is a Persephone book and I know you collect those.
    I collect postcards,Edwardian,Raphael Tuck etc
    Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've got a copy and have read it and enjoyed it. I think I'll do a post about the postcards and the book sometime.

      Delete
  9. I love Eric Ravilious work. I had never heard of him until I went to Iceland and found an article about him in a magazine. I went to an exhibition of his work in Dulwich. I would have bought the collection too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been an article about his disappearance when in the RAF there?
      Sadly there are just the 4 postcards of his paintings in the scrap book. I would love to see his paintings for real

      Delete
  10. I think you are very wise to do this. Old postcards are very collectible especially if some are of the work of an artist you admire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the postcards aren't old but some of the cuttings in the other book are

      Delete