Saturday 30 October 2021

The Ins, Outs and Frugal Bits of October

 The Income was as usual with no extras.............. My state pension and the County Council spouses pension and small bits of interest. I got notification of the Winter Fuel Payment (to be paid sometime before the end of January) - which is new to me as I now get my state pension. £200 will go a good way towards the next heating oil top up.

Regular outgoings were as usual......Food, Diesel for the car, the 4 weekly electric bill, charity and phones direct debits. I also bought myself a hoodie to replace a baggy cardigan and a huge plastic pot to re-pot my Olive tree and a couple of bags of compost.
A few bits of Christmas shopping for the grandchildren were done online and birthday gifts for son and granddaughter and some odds and ends for grandchildren from boot-sales. Plus a couple of food things for the hampers.
Then there were the usual small  household things - like postage stamps and  a couple of new pillows (why is it now difficult or maybe impossible to buy 1 pillow?) and a couple of secondhand books - now without guilt!
 

 
 Spending could have stopped right there.........
 
 BUT.................... then  I decided to crack on with the things I can do in the garden including ordering 3 Minarette Apple trees. Even with a 10% discount for early season ordering they weren't cheap. I then also bought a Pear Tree from a boot-sale for £12.
(I got a quote for a new path up the side of the bungalow and a few other small jobs = £2090!! That will be a "no thank you at the moment " then.)
The new tyres for my bike were quite expensive because I went for some that were very tough and sturdy instead of the soft and floppy at half the price. I figured these sturdy tyres should see me out!
The Suffolk Agricultural Association are doing an early-bird on-line discount on tickets for the Suffolk Show next year so I've bought mine and the printer co-operated to print it out, just have to keep it safe until 31st of  May.
The bill arrived for the replacement of the two kitchen lights that kept going on and off and I bought the last two saucepans I needed for my induction hob.
Finally I bit the bullet and ordered a smallish chest freezer for the garage. I was fed up with having to wiggle things around to fit it all in the current freezer storage. I'm used to having a back up of things that I'm currently using NOT having to wait until whatever it is is completely finished before I have room for another. Only problem is there's not a chest freezer of the size I need anywhere - so a 4 - 8 week delay.............will it be here by Christmas..............that is the question.
 
Frugal bits............
  • Mended tiny holes in 3 pairs of leggings....moths?washing machine? or just old age?
  • Bought a big bag of cooking apples for £1 from the Fundraiser coffee morning
  • Harvested the last of the peppers from the greenhouse and popped (squeezed) into freezer
  • Used the last 2 very small aubergines for  an aubergine and pasta bake that fed me for 2 days
  • One Pensioners discount Fish and Chip meal £3.50
  • Reading library books for free. 
  • Mixing whole milk half and half with water
  • Morrisons actually had their bags of "wonky" fruit and veg- pears and carrots(although none of their Suffolk tomatoes for ages).
  • Home made bread
  • Bargain pack of 4 ink cartridges for the printer were £1 from a boot sale. I keep saying I'll replace my very old printer as soon as I run out of ink cartridges but then I find some cheap and hang onto it for a bit longer!
  • Picked the right days to do the washing and avoided using the tumble dryer
  • Gift of cooking apples from DiL who was gifted a huge bag full and didn't need them all.

It's really been obvious how prices are rising this month. Moving here should have meant less spent on diesel for the car but with a 15p a litre price rise in just a few weeks I seem to be spending almost as much as before. The price of fresh fruit has been steadily rising all year and most supermarkets no longer do a "value" range - or if they do it's on a very limited amount of things. I've more-or-less restocked cupboards that had been run down prior to moving and have started to build up a small store of extras. The kitchen wall cupboards go right up to the ceiling which means the top shelf is beyond reach except with the steps so that's a good place for an emergency can store and Christmas things.

 There was another expenditure in October, but I don't mind buying a present for this one at all!


I'll return next month which happens to be Monday - Yes - November already. Clocks back Sunday - I refuse to be glum!

 (Apologies for not reply to many comments this week)

Saturday............ editing in to say I almost forgot that November will be, as always, No Spend November, when only food and Christmas things are bought...... (and bills are paid....of course)

Hope you have a good weekend and the parts of the country that are soggy get a chance to dry out.
Back Monday
Sue


 

36 comments:

  1. Yes, prices are up everywhere and will continue to rise:( Petrol seems to go up weekly let alone energy costs. It feels like we are heading back to the early 1970’s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad I don't have a mortgage as I reckon interest rates will have to rise - difficult times ahead for some of my family and others the same age

      Delete
  2. An interesting post, I went shopping with my D last week to Morrisons and £ shop so I brought extra emergency things, my D is very good with getting my weekly shop but it is nice when I do go out for I see other bits to buy. I did notice in the 2 shops I went to that they had a lot of empty shelves but I was lucky to get my favorite coffee so I brought a couple extra packets.
    It's still very windy here.
    Lovely photo of the new baby.
    Have a nice weekend Sue and everyone else.
    Hazel ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many empty spots on the shelves so far around here thank fully, just huge price rises.
      Hope your weekend is good too

      Delete
  3. You've had such a good month, haven't you. Full of little, familiar, lovely thinks (and one little amazingly huge - well, not a thing, just a priceless treasure).
    Yes,. things are really shooting up scarily fast. It is what it is and I am thankful and grateful that, unlike some, I don't have to make hard choices (yet). But when will it all slow down again, I wonder?
    Have a lovely weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No huge frugal things but every little helps to leave me something to spend on books!

      Delete
  4. Oh he is BEAUTIFUL! I was going to comment on your good economies, but then got carried away by the baby picture. We had a discussion yesterday about Christmas Lunch. I've decided to clear one shelf in my freezer in order to put a turkey in there. I think it would be easier to buy one sooner rather than later. Hoping covid rules don't change again at the last minute and that this year we'll be family together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The media are ramping up the worries about lock downs again. I'm hoping they are ignored.

      Delete
  5. I am puzzled about your pillow reference as I have never seen a pillow for sale in anything other than a single one! I had cause to buy three new pillows in the summer because of visitors and at the same time treated myself to a new one. They were all bought singly on different occasions and at different locations. I haven't noticed any price rises, my barometer is usually butter price. I will have to look next time I buy some. My range of shopping is narrow! The price of crude oil is currently as high as it was in 2014 thanks to Covid and demand and OPEC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange. Everywhere I looked pillows were being sold in pairs. Although of course I was only looking in the cheaper outlets!
      I notice price rises most with fresh fruit

      Delete
  6. Like Angela I had a comment in mind to make and then I came across the beautiful baby photo and my mind is now blank except for thinking 'Awwww'.

    All I can think of to say now is that yes, I have noticed how much prices have shot up and not just by the odd penny here and there, it is 5p or 10p on lots of things. I had to have a re-jig of my freezer yesterday to fit in some shepherdess pie bases I made up. Decanting half used up boxed items into bags to save on space, I did it but only just!!

    I am sick to death of the rain now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be glad when my chest freezer arrives to put in the garage so I can take advantage of any offers.

      Delete
  7. I have heard of the book we took to the woods it is about a family in Maine I believe. We are soggy here hopefully trick or treating will be dry. Things are going up here as well not sure how a family pays for everything.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are both about life in the USA - both quite old, not in libraries here and I read about them on Miki's 'Farms on my Bookshelf' blog.
      It's going to get difficult for young families I think if prices keep rising

      Delete
  8. Oh, you've bought We took to the Woods, one of my favourites! Hope you like it too. Gorgeous grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog isn't good for my bank-balance! but I don't mind that at all :-)

      Delete
  9. Used books are one of my vices, too. I've started collecting series and think more bookshelves will be needed. Such a sweet, handsome little grandson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very limited with book space here so have to be good at moving books out
      New Grandson is certainly gorgeous

      Delete
  10. I noticed the other week that the honey I buy (Morrison's own does for me) had gone up from 99p to £1.39. A 40p increase? Really? I am fully expecting the price to drop again soon as if they're doing us all a favour!
    Your new grandson is adorable. What a blessing! ๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me when I first married - back then it became the normal thing to find prices going up all the time - frightening

      Delete
  11. Your new grandson is precious! It does sound like you have been busy stocking up and getting prepared for the holidays as well as winter. The new freezer will pay off since you can buy more on sale, especially these days. Our prices are up and more shelves are bare each week when I buy groceries. I think we will eat a lot of homemade soup this winter. I can't believe it is almost November! We turn our clocks back here one week after you do. Enjoy those trick-or-treaters tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had a chest freezer but thought I could manage without but it's annoying not to be able to buy a bargain when I see it
      Weather here today - 31st - isn't good for trick or treaters

      Delete
  12. Having a well stocked pantry and freezer is wise. I do the same. Oil and gas prices are rising in the US too. Your new fruit tree purchases sound great and growing a lot of fruit and veg ensures we are eating good food. Having a new grandson is pure joy. He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to grow more next year - every little helps.
      New grandson is rather gorgeous

      Delete
  13. Prices, especially gasoline, creep up and up, but not the interest on my savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savings rates here are around 0.01%. Luckily I put some savings in fixed rate bonds 3 years ago when things were slightly better

      Delete
  14. Everything is creeping up. Got our bill for house insurance and that has risen by $100.00 this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...beautiful baby Geandson. I miss having cuddles with tiny human beings.

    The most worrying thing for us is the rising price of gas and electricity. Heaven knows how much it will be after the government price cap ends in April 2022. A comfort is that we don't have to rely on monthly deliveries of LPG like we did in the park home. And, of course, we qualify for the £200 Winter Fuel Allowance which will help a lot.
    There are still some empty supermarket shelves here in Staffordshire and I get substitutions in my shopping regularly. We seem to get less and less each week for our £55 food budget. As Bonnie says, there will be a lot of soup eaten here this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Forgot to say that your 'frugal bits' are amazing and put me to shame Sue. I must try harder๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as frugal as we were on the smallholding but frugal then has made for more comfortable now.

      Delete
  17. Frugal bit for me: I went to a local store, and they had big bags of potting soil marked down to $1 each because the bags were ripped. I got 40 pounds of potting soil for $2

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeously beautiful baby, Sue!!!! As a retired OB and childbirth educator, new babies always make my heart sing! Thank you for sharing the photo and also for the conversation about your frugality. It always inspires me! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely baby and I don't blame you for not minding spending on the baby lol.

    Nice to read your frugal bits and pieces and spends. I can tell how much things are going up here too. I've not bought much petrol lately - good thing too I suppose with the cost - but I've just not felt like going too far recently. Honestly can't be bothered.

    As for the cost of food. It's expensive here to begin with. After doing my shops in England for a while (where I noticed prices rising) they were still a lot cheaper than here. I cringe when I buy certain things here. I am just being careful watching for our normal buys to be on sale and get them then, maybe trying something different when the normal buys are too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww what an absolutely beautiful baby xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Louise Dickinson Rich is one of my favorite Maine authors. So down to earth and realistic. After her time in the North Woods, I think after her husband died, she moved to the Maine Downeast coast and writes about that very different side of Maine. There was a bit of a genre of women authors who moved to rural Maine in the 1940s and 1950s. Sort of a pre-hippie, pre-back to the land group.

    ReplyDelete