Friday 3 June 2022

Jubilee Celebrations

 What to do over a 4 Day Holiday Weekend when living alone? That was the Question.
 
The strange thing is I can't remember anything about the other Jubilees we've had for the Queen. 
In 1977 maybe we had a special celebration for Cub Scouts and a Silver Jubilee Badge? What about the 50th in 2002? ........... we were in our 10th year at the smallholding, maybe we were too busy to do anything.

Anyway, yesterday after midday I watched some of the TV coverage just to see the 70 planes flypast over Buckingham Palace, wishing I lived somewhere under the route.  At the smallholding on previous flypasts we sometimes caught some of the planes as they joined in to follow the route of the A12 down to London, but this village is too far west. The Queen was well enough to appear on the balcony with most of the family, which was good, she looked on fine form for a 96 year old. She was born in 1926 the same year as my Mum - but Mum died at the too early age of 73

Yesterday, late evening, was the Beacon Lighting which I didn't go to, as the Beacon (put up 1977 like many others) is in part of the village which is a hamlet 2 miles away.......... because that's the highest part of the village....... and probably the roads were chock a block with lots of people driving there. Might have ventured out if I'd got lights for my bike!
 
Over the weekend there are lots of Platinum Jubilee things organised in many of the villages all around, and in my village there's a special festival at the Church this afternoon. 
 

 
 Son, Daughter in Law, Youngest Granddaughter and Middle Grandson are coming over so we can all go. No idea what the Children's Activities are but I like the sound of the afternoon teas. Not far to come home either!
 
Yesterday afternoon I walked round the village to see who was likely to win the decorated house competition. 
Not me, with my two bits of bunting, on the left - I've not even entered. Next door neighbours have got lots of flags and bunting and a big 70th Jubilee Sign on the garage door and I think they have something else planned too - not sure what - we shall see.




 
A new huge Post Box topper has appeared !





 
Tomorrow I shall be visiting Son's village for a look to see what's happening there - a Fete on the Village Green I think. On Sunday the weather forecast is a bit iffy and there's not so much happening so that will be a day to stay at home.
 
 
 
Just in case of feeling a bit down among all the happy families I saved the best library book to read over the weekend.

I shall be back Monday with photos from the Suffolk Show where I went last Tuesday.
Have a good weekend
Sue

34 comments:

  1. I don't know of anything happening here and I have no bunti ng to put out. My son has to take his wife for a scan so seems pretty much a non event here. I watched Trooping the Colour-marvellous and shall watch events on TV - well some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lucky I already had the bunting so thought it had better go out.

      Delete
  2. Very low key here too. I was trying to find out if a beacon would be lit on the Brecon Beacons but no info - just a list of towns lighting one and mention that dozens of others across Wales would be lit.

    Hope you have an enjoyable time with the family, and enjoy the book . I have my new Phil Rickman novel to read - 4 years waiting for it as the poor man had a Stroke. Currently reading one of his on Kindle which he wrote under a pseudonym but has now been released under his own name. Can't put it down. (The Cold Calling, set in an area I know well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must have been one on Brecon Beacons surely - the perfect place!

      Delete
  3. I just cant help myself from checking that the Union Flags are the right way up and your pink house could so easily have got it the right way around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Cub Scout Leader I used to know the right way for the flag and how to fold it so it unfurled as it was raised - have forgotten now!

      Delete
    2. My reason was being Orderly Officer and saluting as it went up and down. 55yrs ago.

      Delete
  4. I've have had my little great niece and niece with me yesterday and today, taking them home this evening and will be on my own over the weekend. Hopeing it will be good weather so I can do some gardening. If not I'll watch the TV coverage of the Jubilee on catch up and listen to the French Open on the Radio, so dissappointed it has not been on TV this year. There are family events in the village tomorrow but do not fancy going on my own. I think there is a service in the evening so may go to that. And like you if all else fails I shall read a book. I have read all of the Tom Wilde series now, all very good, I wonder if there will another after this last one. Hope you enjoy this one. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a street party lunch here tomorrow but you have to take your own chair and food and a bit strange going on my own. So decided to go to Son's Village instead

      Delete
  5. I am not sure we had a beacon on top of the moors, but Stoodley Pike was lit up and my granddaughter went to a barbecue up there with the scouts. Those crochet toppings on top of post boxes are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to come across the huge crown on the post box - looks like it was felted - no idea who made it

      Delete
  6. I was four when it was the Coronation and I can't remember any street parties or other celebrations. but funnily enough I can remember when the King died because of my Mum's reaction to it. The only Jubilee I can remember celebrating was in 1977 when we went to my friends village fun day in Leicestershire. My husband tells me there is bunting up around the village although we don't have any up and that there are things going on on Saturday and Sunday which we won't be going to.

    I did watch the highlights of the Jubilee and am always proud of the ceremonial displays. The members of the Royal Family I most admire are the Queen who looked so happy, Charles as always a supporting son and Anne who stayed in the background. They are the hardest working who never seem to put a foot wrong.

    Enjoy the celebrations with your son and his family, something for the little ones to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what we did for the other jubilees so must have been quiet ones for us. There are so many things going on in all the villages around

      Delete
  7. It all looks very festive and wonderful you will be seeing family.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the weather has stayed fine so far too - bonus!

      Delete
  8. The Jubilee celebrations are really high spirited and wonderful. The Flypast on YouTube was excellent. Louie the Queen's great grandson was adorable and kind of stole the show. The Queen looked very happy and quite beautiful. Your son's village celebration should be good fun and sharing the festivities with family sounds outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is wonderful to be able to celebrate your Queen's 70 years! She looked so happy and healthy on the balcony while watching the jets fly over. Enjoy your family fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An amazing Lady - and she's seen it all in her 96 years

      Delete
  10. We were in England 🇬🇧 1977 and I got a mug with Queen Elizabeth's 25th celebration on it. Same year we were married in Oct at RAF Woodbridge. Good memories. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the weather has been good until today

      Delete
  11. Living in London I couldn't resist going to the Trooping of the Colour. I couldn't see much except for the flypast. I have just posted the photos on my blog if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love watching what we can of your celebrations. I have always admired your Queen. It is wonderful to see a country come together in celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you get to see some of the celebrations

      Delete
  13. I so wanted to be in England for the Jubilee but doing the best I can on my side of the pond! The events sound fun. I've been watching as much as I can on TV, along with just about every documentary I can find! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concert from the front of Buckingham Palace last night was very good - hope it gets shown over there

      Delete
  14. My goodness that is one huge crown on that post box. Love the decorations and the fact that your village is going all out to celebrate.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crown was a surprise when I came across it!

      Delete
  15. Well we had a beacon being lit, I had imagined it would be a nice big beacon somewhere on one of our hillsides ... but it turned out to be a little fire in what was no bigger than a hanging basket in the square outside Booths supermarket. Oh well at least our town joined in :-)

    The only Jubilee I definintely remember is the Silver one, I got engaged to my first husband on Jubilee day and we went round to his Mum's in Salford to find the street party in full swing. The edging stones to the street had been painted alternate red, white and blue ... in gloss paint on both sides of the road ... and they stayed that way for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many villages in Suffolk have beacons that were put up in 1977. they are big metal baskets on a tall pole. The one in your town sounds a bit small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was literally hanging basket sized!! Tidgy :-(

      Delete
  17. Hope you had an enjoyable time. Thanks for sharing the decorations. It all makes me quite homesick. I know that Mum would have shared lots of details with me. Makes me miss her even more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that you have had a wonderful celebration. It all looked like such fun from those of us watching from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete