Tuesday 14 June 2022

What You Can Buy For 50p Each

 There was a goodly number of house clearance bods selling at the Saturday Car- Boot sale. One in particular had interesting 'stuff', I gathered up 6 items from the dozens of boxes laid out on the ground and he charged me £3 for my armful.

Christmas wrap, Christmas badges to colour and make, a game of quoits, a wooden mallet, two bath cleaning sponges and a possible tin of  Home Cook Marmalade. I say possible because it's dated 2013! so when it's opened I'll see what it looks like. I've used passed the date tins before but perhaps not quite this long out of date. There were actually 3 tins of this Marmalade in a box but I decided against buying all three just in case and they were too heavy to carry far anyway.
There were several people selling some good looking perennials but I avoided looking too closely........ didn't want to be tempted. The borders are looking pretty full and I don't really want to spend more on the garden this year.

The large box at top right is a kit for a Sew and Make cushion with boats which will be a Christmas gift and that cost me £1.

Why a wooden mallet? it's ready for hammering a windbreak into the beach next seaside trip - except the windbreak was borrowed by someone (son!) and I've not seen any sign of it since last summer!

Back Tomorrow
Sue



31 comments:

  1. Wow, you got some great bargains....good luck with the marmalade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9 years passed BB date might be OK - I'll know when I open it

      Delete
  2. I've made very out of date mamade before and it worked fine - I guess you could always add some lemon juice if in doubt (or use a bit of jam sugar). It tasted great!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 3 years past BB date is the oldest Mamade I've made and is was fine

      Delete
  3. If the can is not rusty or "blown" its likely to be OK. The mallet was a bargain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sue, have you come across a blog called 'Farms on my Bookshelf'? It's about books about farming and country life in general and there is a great many of them out there. Mainly British. Worth having a look. Avis Judd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mikis blog is on my sidebar - love the books she mentions

      Delete
  5. What great value for money! That lot would be much dearer at the car boot sales we've been to since moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to find the useful among the junk and by golly there is a LOT of junk!

      Delete
  6. Wow ... some real bargains there, and a brand new mallet too. I have used 3 years out of date Home Cook Marmalade before now, the only difference I could see to it was that it was darker in colour, no doubt it matured nicely in the tin. But it made up just fine and tasted lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon 3 years was about what I've used before now, 9 years is a wee bit more but I'll know when I open it!

      Delete
  7. I would have had a hard time walking past the plants, even though - like you - I do not really need any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many I would love to add to the garden but it would be silly as there is just not room this year. Might root out some in the autumn

      Delete
  8. Didn't they use some of the tinned stuff when they finally got to Scott;s last hut in the Arctic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect most canned things last for ages - I'll know when I open it

      Delete
  9. Good for you on the marmalade - I bet it's fine! And it's never too early to prepare for Christmas is it?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding things cheap saves me a fortune - especially Christmas things

      Delete
  10. I'm guessing the marmalade is fine! You got many great buys. I know what you say about lots of junk. I frequent a few local shops and there is more junk than anything of interest or value to me. Among the junk there can be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a tin of ready prepared orange for making marmalade so I'll see when I open it

      Delete
  11. You have a good eye for bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great bargains there. I particularly like the cushion kit and would love to see it finished 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great bargains. I hope the marmalade is still good.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marmalade is my favorite; hope yours works out. I do know about children borrowing things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly they will get much more use of the wind-break than I will!

      Delete
  15. Love the way you can ferret out so many lovely bargains. It will be interesting to see what that marmalade is like :)

    ReplyDelete