Wednesday 1 June 2022

June Already

It is thought that June is named after the goddess Juno or possibly from Iuniores which was the lower level of the legislature in the constitution of ancient Rome.
 
Summer is on the bookshelves with the June plate, The Summer Haze Cottage and my two summery jugs. It looks a bit sparse but I don't really have anything else to add.
 
 
 
Above is one of the double pages showing one of Angela Harding's prints from this beautiful book that I have on loan from the library. It explains how and where she works and is full of her illustrations that have been used in many magazines, pictures and cards.
 

This is what happens in June this year according to my little Almanac book



 

Not a lot of folklore attached to the days of June............. there would have been very little time for celebrating the Saints Days as farmers would have been busy with haymaking and sheep shearing. Watching the weather would have been the main occupation.

Calm weather in June, sets the farmer in tune

 The weather pattern for June often alternates between spells of stormy weather and shorter periods of dry calm. The farmers prefer calm and warm with night-time dew to speed up crop growth.

Other old sayings were connected with St John's Day on the 24th.

I found a children's poem for June by Irene F Pawsey (although couldn't find any details about her) in an old book I have called 'Come Follow Me.- Poems for the Very Young' which was originally published in 1956.

Month of leaves,
Month of roses;
Gardens full
Of dainty posies;
Skies of blue,
Hedgerows gay,
Meadows sweet
With the new mown hay.

Flowery banks,
A-drone with bees,
Dreaming cattle
Under trees:
Song-birds pipe
A merry tune—
This is summer,
This is June.


 Back Tomorrow
Sue

 

33 comments:

  1. June indeed. The year seems to have gone fast but it's so good to see everywhere so beautiful. Talking of birdsong, I just HAD to go back to bed for an hour or so yesterday after being awake literally half the night, and I was woken by birdsong - VERY loud Thrush birdsong, bless him, in one of the Beech trees in the garden.

    I had never thought of everyone being far too busy in June to be having bits of Folklore. The only bit I can think of is a swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon.

    I love that little poem. She summed it up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every month goes too blinkin' quickly.
      I quite like childrens poems because they say what they mean without the faff!

      Delete
  2. Your June display looks delightful. Sometimes less is more, don't you think? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My display would never have filled the mantelshelf but is OK for the bookshelf

      Delete
  3. Rachel here eternally 28- it says I’m anonymous but I’m not haha. I love your June mugs and I have an old copy of that poetry book and reading that poem took me back to time at my beloved Nanna’s lying on her pink candle wick bedcover, reading it. A happy memory sparked. Thank you Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are not anonymous! and glad the mention of that little book brought back some memories

      Delete
  4. I follow the meteorological calendar so summer starts today for me. Wheeee!!! Yes, lots of commemorations in June. I love June! :-) ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather is not very summery here today - hope it warms up through the month

      Delete
  5. The June display is lovely, sometimes 'sparse' makes for a refreshing change. You could always add some simple flowers to one of the jugs if the bareness gets to you.

    Perhaps it just looks not quite right because you have an even number of items, as in gardening, visual displays usually work best with odd numbers of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a teeny vase of teeny roses and it looks much better!

      Delete
  6. Test comment, as every comment I have left on here in the last few days has vanished, including the one left here 3 minutes ago!! ... where are they going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and yet that one that is ridiculous stays!! :-)

      Delete
    2. Just found them all in Spam - I'd checked the awaiting moderation bit but not the spam bit - MUST check that more often as there were loads sitting there - that were def Not spam

      Delete
  7. Your decorations look lovely! You were so lucky to find those beautiful plates! I hear a bird tweeting outside my open windows and it's a nice day today here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I bought those plates, it's good having something different each month

      Delete
  8. I love June, my favourite month and I do always enjoy seeing your monthly display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite month too - as long as the weather is warm and I can watch tennis on TV!

      Delete
  9. Your June display is lovely. Plates and china are some of my favorite collectibles. It's raining and cool for the next couple days. It does not feel like June in Massachusetts. Your warm weather sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had several chilly days but Thursday looks hopeful

      Delete
  10. I’m drooling over your little jugs! I hope you sometimes use them? Cream for a party, or milk for afternoon tea, or even to hold a posey. We’re in the middle of torrentially heavy rain, and periods of gale force winds so thoughts of summer were particularly welcome!

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the jugs a while they both came from different boot sales and I dithered over one because it was £5. They are only used for display as both have rather crackled glaze inside

      Delete
  11. I enjoy your seasonal changes to the bookshelf. The two summer jugs have always been favorites of mine and they go well with the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jugs have been on my other shelves since moving but I may put them away after summer so they come out fresh each year

      Delete
  12. Love the summer china. Had a little laugh, my grandchildren would assume 'a drone' was a flying machine,nothing to do with bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'm so old that I hadn't even thought about the remote control type drone when reading the poem!

      Delete
  13. your display is lovely and what a wonderful book! Happy June!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is lovely and I will keep it here until the library van comes round at the end of the month

      Delete
  14. June is a wonderful month, before it gets hot in July and August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could rely on a bit of heat over here!

      Delete
  15. Lovely display. I love the plate. That book looks wonderful. I shall have to add it to my 'wish' list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your display is wonderful. It seems as if this year is whizzing by.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days fly by so quickly except when the weather is chilly and damp!

      Delete