Tuesday 21 June 2022

Suffolk Day June 21st

 Suffolk Day logo

  Today is Suffolk Day...........it was started and promoted by Mark Murphy of Radio Suffolk in 2017 (Mark recently got a MBE for his work in Radio and for championing Suffolk and I spotted him and his wife in the congregation at the Queens service) . Suffolk day hasn't exactly taken off, Covid didn't help and this year someone decided it would be part of the Festival of Suffolk - a summer of events to celebrate the Queens Jubilee.

Mark is a Suffolk boy through and through and I got to know him a bit when I used to chat to him for a few minutes once a month when he did a Countryside and Farming slot on his Radio Suffolk Breakfast programme. I talked about what was happening on our smallholding and in the Suffolk Smallholders Society. He popped into the smallholding once when they were on their way to speak at a meeting in Aldeburgh.
 I stopped listening to Radio Suffolk Breakfast when they changed presenter and introduced music to the early morning programme - which I couldn't cope with! But I think they've reverted back to an all speech programme at that time and I ought to try and listen again - if only to find out what's happening round about.

Searched online for Suffolk Day events, discovered just a few things happening but I found a special piece of music with words was written in 2018 . It's on You Tube.............



Today is also the summer solstice when the sun is directly overhead at the Tropic of Cancer and daylight hours are the longest for us here. The Druids and many others will be celebrating at Stonehenge. I'm celebrating by strolling past 4 houses and having a hair cut - I'm now having clippers with a 6 comb all over just like I used to do myself. Nice and short is my preference.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. Winter solstice here, of course, and thank goodness for that! So over getting up in the dark. Where I live sunrise isn't until about 7.45am at the moment, and dark again by just before 5pm. Over it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep mucking it up: I'm not anonymous, I'm Denise!

      Delete
    2. The way time rushes by nowadays it will soon be our turn for the dark and cold!

      Delete
  2. Shorter hair is perfect in the warm weather. A nice way to celebrate the longest day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the sun is shining and there's tennis on TV and all is good for a summer solstice day in Suffolk

      Delete
  3. We are waiting for a new washing machine, delivery in the next two hours and only ordered yesterday. Solstices have changed over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the delivery arrived promptly. It still amazes me how some companies can manage to get things out so quickly and others take a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Summer Solstice. The video on Suffolk Day is lovely; the singing and seaside and harvest references are beautiful. I had a haircut 2 weeks ago and last night after a shampoo, I trimmed the new growth. Like you, my preference is: short hair for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recently gone back to a very short haircut after a few years struggling to maintain more medium length middle of the road styles - in order to explain just how short I meant I asked the hairdresser for a ' full on Judi Dench' seemed to do the trick, and like someone above mentioned it's great in the summer months.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Summer Solstice, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm another one that prefers very short hair, I've never been brave enough to go for a No. 6 though ... but the day might come soon!!

    Alan has a No. 4 on top and a 2 for his beard and eyebrows ... but last time he started cutting his hair he realised that he had put the 2 cutter on first instead, so he was two all over and looked very white headed due to being tanned everywhere except his scalp!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Suffolk Day! It's a lovely county with lots of beautiful scenery. I always used to listen to Mark Murphy then they messed about with the BBC radio and I couldn't get it for a while - just found out that I can! I really enjoy listening to the Gardening Hour on a Saturday morning. I heard that Mark Murphy is giving up the breakfast show and his wife, Leslie is retiring! It won't be the same without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Leslie is a lot older (although she doesn't look it!) than Mark who is 57 so is probably retiring age. I just don't like the very limited play list they have for music on R Suffolk. Sometimes play the same things several times in a day!

      Delete
  10. I also got my hair cut shorter for the summer. I am loving it.

    Happy Suffolk Day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete