Saturday 23 June 2018

Another Week Passes


 Monday
I found 2lb of last years strawberries in the freezer and Brother-in-law brought more from his garden at the weekend (and I have enough of my own to have some everyday for a few more days) so I made some strawberry jam, chucked in the half pound of gooseberries that were all I rescued from the 2 new gooseberry bushes (ruined by ants I think) to help it set and a packet of pectin too, just to be sure. I don't eat much jam, brother-in-law is now diabetic so can't eat it - I'll take some with me when I go anywhere and give it all away.

Then swimming. 4 lengths straight off (it's a small pool so that's only 80 metres!) and then about another 15 lengths with rests quite often. The 32 lengths without stopping I used to do years ago will be 40 lengths here and a long time away I think.

Home again and the first thing I noticed at the end of the lane was some cardboard boxes and a bin bag near the workshop door. "Surely not fly-tipping right up here!" was my first thought and then saw they were full of wood-off cuts, some bits my sister and BIL didn't want to store for winter. They were quickly chucked on the massive heap in the wood-shed. Winter alone but warm!

Time for lunch and the week of Queens Club Tennis started at 1pm on BBC2. The signal for me to get out some  cross-stitch and settle down to watch.

England Football in the evening. Whoop! they played until the end and won.

Tuesday -
A drive from Mid Suffolk to near the coast to see youngest and Florence. Took strawberries and jam. We had a walk round the charity shops. Lots of shops closing or moving in Leiston. The town needs Sizewell C Power Station to be built but from the health and safety point of view the people don't need it. Youngest said the last Building Society in the town - which closed a year ago will be opening as a charity shop soon. Just Barclays Bank left for all the businesses to use.
I had a Co-op voucher for Subway BOGOF so we had one each for lunch. I don't really get Subway.............it's just  a bread roll with a choose-you-own filling! but almost every Co-op in Suffolk has a Subway concession in it now, so perhaps it's a way to keep the East of England Co-ops running and young people seem to like them. (That makes me sound old!)

Home and a card through the door "We tried to deliver a parcel, you can collect from Debenham Post Office" - Bother, just drove through there on the way home.

Sat out in the sun and read for a while then it clouded up so in to watch tennis. Andy Murray back after a year off for hip surgery. He looked good for two sets but faded at the end. Britain's new number one - Kyle Edmund won his match, he has come on well over the last two years.

Wednesday
Decided to have a fight with the front path. The slabs are two feet wide but the grass had overgrown them so much that there was only a few inches of slab to be seen in places. Didn't take too long with the lawn edger spade and a bit of tugging to clear the path. One slab was a bit on the huh (as we say in Suffolk) potential "Trip Hazard", so I levered it up with a draining shovel  (the only bit of school physics that has come in useful in life was learning about levers!) and found big roots of something underneath, got rid of them and it still wasn't flat, repeat two or three times until it's level but a bit rocky. Oh well - best I can do, at least there's nothing for the postman to trip over.
The darker bit down the middle was all that was visible before I got busy with the edger spade

Afternoon to the dreaded dentist, for a big filling to rebuild the tooth that broke. It might not work for long and I've still got toothache from the filling he did a month ago although he said it looked OK, I may have to go back for a root canal thing on it if it doesn't stop aching. Oh Joy Unbounded!

Picked up the parcel - it's a fly screen for the back door, made of chains but I seem to have bought industrial quality as it weighs a ton so I'm going to need help with the fixings -Bother. I need to master the art of using a drill, I'm OK with using it as a screwdriver but never got the chance to try drilling holes.

Thursday
Longest day or to be precise longest daylight hours. Forgot to do a Summer Solstice post - must remember - Next Year.
Absolutely Freezing cold North wind this morning. Had to get out of bed and pull in the windows during the night. It doesn't seem like June at all, I put a hat on when I went out early to fill the bird feeders - woolly hat in June - ridiculous!
At home all day, the on and off toothache was worse, probably aggravated due to the scale and polish he did, at least I hope that's the reason.

Vegetable Garden Harvest today

First French climbing beans and  courgettes. It's always best to cut the first courgettes when they are very small as that helps the plant to grow stronger - same with cucumbers, in fact I always pinch off the very tiny cucs when they first appear and don't let any grow to full size until the plant has really got going. Although saying that, I have 3 plants this year so did the above with 2 but let the third keep going with it's first fruit.

 I needed CAKE! Preferably with cream and the new strawberry jam so made a mini sponge as I only had 2 eggs left.

Rang to check the work in bathroom will start next week....... taking out bath to replace with shower. That's the first part. Then they'll take the grotty shower out of the bedroom and I'll see what's underneath it. May need new carpet, may put a small bath in the bedroom instead, might not!

Rang a local man who advertises in the Parish Magazine to get him to come  for ideas and quote for new kitchen units.They are 1970's or 80's mock wood, kick boards missing, a draw front missing and generally old and tired.

Tennis again, Oh dear Kyle Edmund knocked out by the same bloke who knocked out Andy M. The commentators keep saying how entertaining Australian Nick Kyrgios  is but although he played brilliantly today with loads of un-returnable first serves, I find his on-court antics a bit childish and his swearing isn't necessary either, and I know that's sounds like I'm too prim and proper but I really don't understand the need for constant efffffing!


Friday
 First cucumber and last of the strawberries - due to lack of rain the plants have flagged. It's too far down the garden to water them and with a water meter I'm wary of using the hosepipe too often.

Out shopping to Stowmarket. Quite quiet in town for a Friday morning..........except in the bank........always a long queue there. Bought myself a new pair of shorts AND trousers in M&Co - a very, very rare event. Some of my shorts are so old they are falling apart- despite mending. Now I can ditch the worst and I needed a pair of lightweight trousers, now that I'm out at things like WI in the summer months.

A gloriously sunny afternoon but the wind from the North is keeping temperatures down here so no good for sitting out ............. Tennis on TV instead  and Nick Kyrgios again,( serving aces like crazy and not so much mucking about) and more stitching but with so much time fiddling about on the blog it's not growing very quickly .................."it" being a Christmas card for a small person.


 So that's another week  gone, and that's what I did to fill my time, sometimes I feel I'm still waiting for Col to come home other times I'm OK........mostly OK.

Many thanks to everyone who clicked the follower button. I'm so easily made happy by seeing the numbers go up! and thanks for comments too.

Back Monday - Have a Good Weekend.

Sue



58 comments:

  1. What a week. And hope your tooth is ok. When I had an issue like that I had a crown put in. Better than a cavity like filling, I think. It's not cheap either! Yum-strawberry jam! I rarely have enough time to make it any more. I buy good jams when I can. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your front doorway looks like a lovely image for a Christmas card type set up....do you have a wreathe at Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only have a wreath if I make one and no one to see it except the postman!

      Delete
  3. What a nice, newsy post! It sounds like the swimming is going well. That is such good exercise and easy on the joints too. You stay so busy with house projects, garden and such. Those strawberries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you will be ok. A lovely summary of your week, thank you. We are predicted to have temperatures of 28 degrees next week, like you my water butt has run dry but I’ll have to water my tomatoes, courgettes, beans and squash. I am also on a water meter. I run the hose out but then use it to fill cans and pour them on rather than actually watering with it - means I can make sure the water goes exactly where it’s needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy week for you, brilliant job on the front path, I watched a couple of matches, but we are away in our camper van this weekend and the nights are really cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so industrious! You did a fine job on the front walkway. You should have taken a before photo, too. I hope you have a nice weekend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cross with myself not taking a "before" picture!

      Delete
  7. Interesting to hear about your week. Very normal really. After I had my three hours at the dentist yesterday morning I came home, put the central heating on for comfort (the temperatures are pretty cold in the east though arent they?), and watched the l O'Clock World Cup Game, to recover from the dentist ordeal. Felt revitalised after the game and went and saw my brother and his wife to show off my new tooth. Felt better and alive again once I had seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very normal, normal is good, exciting would be hard work!
      3 hours at the dentist is a very long time. Hope I don't ever have to go for that long

      Delete
    2. I had to have an early night, exhausted. Part of the three hours was waiting time while they made and fired the tooth.

      Delete
  8. My strawberries are nearly over too.They've been great this season but I missed ten days of them because of being away. My daughter feasted though.
    When I had a sore tooth and the dentist could see nothing wrong, he advised me to use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth and that worked a treat. Just a thought.
    I love your pathway. It just looks so very welcoming.
    Now must go and water (and feed) the garden! Never ending at this time of year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I always use sensodyne, I think the tooth has settled down now - hope that's not tempting fate

      Delete
  9. Phew, what a busy week, made me feel tired reading it.
    Have you tried sensodyne toothpaste? I worked for me when I had toothache, I thought I was going to go back and get it taken out as I couldn't bear hot or cold, it's much, much better now.
    Have a peaceful weekend.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A busy week Sue. Mostly OK is good.
    Your strawberries look so good. Mine have given up on me again this year, although I saved one of the plants and it seems to be doing much better in a deeper container. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so little rain here less than a quarter of normal June average

      Delete
  11. Wow! You've been busy!! I feel quite exhausted just reading it. I went to Totnes Market yesterday and picked up 45 punnets of strawberries at 17p per punnet so there's a lot of strawberry jam here :-) Keep strong - I think you're doing amazingly well. Oh for some reason it won't let me comment as Fiona Adams only anonymous - not sure why that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a LOT of strawberries at bargain price

      Delete
  12. Sue, I did enjoy this post, it feels to me as if you are keeping busy in a positive way. Colin, I am sure would approve. Keep it up lassie.

    LXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading your post. Sorry about your toothache. I too only remember the bit about levers from physics lessons. Your front path looks lovely, well worth the effort. Hopefully we should now lose that east wind. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We catch the north wind here, everywhere else can be warm but here always breezy

      Delete
  14. You are certainly keeping busy! Jamie and Bruno are on third on centre court. BBC said yesterday they will be showing WTA matches from Eastbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I heard that good news and wimbledon qualifying is on red button too.

      Delete
  15. You are certainly keeping busy! Jamie and Bruno are on third on centre court. BBC said yesterday they will be showing WTA matches from Eastbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting post Sue, you are definitely filling your time. I had to learn how to use a drill after my DH passed 5 years ago. I got myself a small lightweight cordless one, so much easier to use than his big powerful drill, although I am still confused over what size of rawlplug, etc to use. YouTube has been really helpful. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of things to learn and wish I had taken more notice years ago

      Delete
  17. What a busy week - I like your path - we have been tidying up my daughters garden for her - just about to go now to prepare for the new lawn - her ground is like digging concrete.
    Don't knock yourself out walking through your new fly screen if it is heavy duty!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness - what a busy week. Well done on your veg. Ours haven't started fruiting yet, although we have had some (small) strawberries. Well done fixing the path. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been rather busy, pffff and did a great job with the path, your front door and its porch look really nice.
    Unlike previous years I have not been able to watch the tennis at Queens.
    I hope your tooth doesn't hurt that much anymore. I have been using Sensodyne Rapid toothpaste for quite some years and my dentist advised to rub this on/around the sore teeth and never flush the mouth after brushing.
    I hope you have a pleasant (as possible) weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that idea for rubbing the sensodyne on the gum around the tooth

      Delete
  20. you certainly keep yourself busy.
    Yes, that wind has been pretty vicious. I was in a light top the other day, had to change it for a jumper when I wanted to spend time in the garden! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun has been lovely but the wind is laying on the back door and making the house really cold when the door is open.

      Delete
  21. Lovely post. Good that you are staying busy. Must say I envy your very cool temps (amazing, eh?), but the temps here have mostly been in the 30s, and with the awful humidity the real feel (as weather people call it here) has been in the 40s. Way too tropical for me. Fortunately, I do have a/c. Hope the garden continues to provide you with wonderful produce and not too many pests.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A most enjoyable post to read! Your sidewalk work made me feel lazy - I have things like that I should tend to! Rather than feel lazy I'll try to feel inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely post Sue my you have been busy. No I can't use a drill either. can turn my hand to most things but never felt confident with a drill.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was quite some week. We got one of those chain doors and it works a treat, far fewer flies than before - it also means that i don't have to spend hours a day opening and shutting the door after the cats and dog - and so far, touch wood, the cats haven't brought anything in with them...
    I'm not into football at all, but bring on Wimbledon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful job on the walkway. I need to learn to use a drill, too.

    It is 32 C. (90 F.) in my area so your cool weather sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm just about to embark on a series of dental work too, so I feel your pain ... literally ☹

    That pathway is just crying out to be edged with lavender plants, it would be wonderful brushing against them as you walked to your front door.

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one except the postman and the cat ever use the front door!

      Delete
  27. My goodness, Sue, you have been so busy!
    But just one question: why is it important to have 'followers'? Is there any reason for this? I haven't a clue what 'followers' are supposed to do or why they are important.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not important to have followers! I have no idea what difference it makes if people follow or not, But I just get childishly excited by seeing the numbers go up!
      As we used to say " Little things please little minds!"

      Delete
  28. My strawberries are flagging too due to lack of rain. We desperately need some but preferably at night!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A good busy week Sue, well done.
    Enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing.
    I have had a lot of dental work in the recent years and find that things do settle down in time after all the jarring and intrusiveness.
    That's one thing I wish I could tell my younger self, take care of your teeth!! I thought I did a good job but as I have got older there always seems to be work to be done. My mum was a good sweetie maker, too many sweets as a child I guess.
    I tell my grandchildren brush and take care of your teeth.
    You are doing well Sue, thinking of you and sending love.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done on the edging of the pathway and levelling the step. That is heavy work. At least that's what I find. It looks very neat!

    Staying busy does help keep away the sharpest points of grief while time does its job of blunting them somewhat. That's my thinking, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well done you - another week spent doing jobs which needed doing and taking you along the path of learning to live what is a different life but will eventually be bearable without Col - you have so many happy memories and they will carry you along.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You always seem to have sooo much energy and so many things to do. I read what you're doing and it makes me get up and do more. I imagine that you struggle some every day but as The Weaver of Grass added about all your happy memories is a good way to go. You had a marriage that so many people only dream of. What a blessing you were given to have Col. Hold those grandkids tight as they grow so fast!!! Hugs for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'll follow everyone else and say what a busy week you've had, but I will add a productive one. I wish I could say the same, but the busiest I've been this week is helping my husband look after our youngest grand-daughter (14 months old) for two days and a sleepover night. Exhausting!

    I don't follow tennis these days as I feel there aren't the personalities that there used to be, thinking of Borg, Nastase, Connors, McEnroe, etc. That was the time I was a big fan and went to Wimbledon a few times. Saw Borg win his first. Great times.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sending hugs your way. Each day is a new day and a step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I clicked the follow button, though I do follow you the old fashioned way on my sidebar.

    You had a busy week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are busy, and achieving things. I can't manage an electric rill either, but I"m not strong enough to put in a screw without pre-drilling the hole. I feel such an ijit asking someone to do it for me, but I just can't manage. sigh.

    I've a suggestion about your tooth. Try (as well as panadol or whatever you use) putting a whole clove in your cheek, right next to the problem tooth. It tastes truly disgusting and will send your mouth numb, but it should give you relief. Often a day or so of that and the tooth settles down. It "The Old Days" oil of cloves was the main ingredient in the filling lining material dentists used. How do I know this? My father was a dentist and he'd recommend whole cloves in an emergency. Root canals are SO expensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hoping this comment will post, as recently I've laboriously typed several, only to have them disappear into the ether, never to appear here! The same thing's happened with another friend's blog. I blame Bloglovin'. I think I've found you on Google this time - we'll see what happens!
    This one's only to share that I read the line or two about you going to the dentist, then my eyes flicked forward a bit, and I read that you want to learn to operate the drill yourself !!!!!!!!
    I read it again, more carefully!
    So, good luck with the dentistry - hope it goes well.
    Mary xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      Had to go back to dreaded dentist for emergency appointment, swollen jaw and now missing a WI quiz feeling rough!

      Delete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete