Thursday 11 February 2021

The Week So Far

 The roads are clear, the lane is almost clear but between my garage and the gate to the lane the snow has drifted to nearly a foot deep, so at the moment I'm still stuck at home. Hope it will melt a bit soon as I'll need to get out at the weekend.  I might ask Rob at next-door-but-one to run over it with his 4x4 a few times to squash it down a bit.
The post-lady walked through the pristine snow to the front door yesterday, she hadn't driven right up the lane as they usually do but I managed to wheelbarrow my bags of rubbish (clearing stuff from the garage) down to the end of the lane, luckily the bin-men are running a day late as they didn't go anywhere on Monday - another thing learned from the local Facebook pages. 
 
Ben Fogle's "New Lives in the Wild" on Tuesday night was interesting.......... he visited the author Mark Boyle who lives off grid in a small home in Galway. I've read two of his books "The Moneyless Man: A Year of Freeconomic Living" where he gave up using money for a year. With the money from the book he bought the smallholding in Galway. One building there is a place where people can go and live for free for a time to find out how to live simply. Marks other book "The Way Home: Tales From Life Without Technology" was a good read too. ..............No running water, no car, no electricity or any of the things it powers: the internet, phone, washing machine, radio or light bulb. Just a wooden cabin, on a smallholding, by the edge of a stand of spruce. 
Always good to see an author doing what they write about but as Mark and Ben sat down to a snack of raw kale I decided that living THAT simply wasn't for me!
 
Many Thanks for comments yesterday. Last night was forecast to be the coldest night in Suffolk for 10 years so I hope all in Suffolk survived the night!!
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue


25 comments:

  1. No, I don't think raw kale would tempt me either! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like kale but only cooked and not everyday all winter because nothing else is growing

      Delete
  2. Raw kale doesn't sound like my idea of a gourmet meal either. :-(
    It's been such a cold night here too and we did get a bit of snow - you can pretty much count the flakes (if so inclined) it was so little!
    It's supposed to warm up considerably by the end of the weekend so fingers crossed for your drive.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was young wife, I always thought I'd make a good pioneer woman living off the land with no electricity, washing machine, telly etc etc. Then, in the midst of a snowstorm, we lost power for 3 days. I soon decided that living without electricity and all its benefits was definitely not for me! ๐Ÿคฃ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were without power for a week in 1987 after the hurricane and again for a week at the smallholding when cables came down in a storm - luckily we had propane gas cooker and a wood burner and got through OK but wouldn't want to do it now I'm alone

      Delete
  4. I didn't particularly warm to Mark Boyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a wee bit odd, wouldn't want to live with him!

      Delete
    2. I noticed he was a bit cagey when Ben asked him about money in the final 10 minutes and didn't want to give a direct answer and started muttering about having a pint of Guinness now and then and then tailed off.

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy Ben Fogle programmes they are so interesting.
    Well we have sunny clouds at the moment snow has gone but very heavy frost.
    Thank you Sue for asking about my GD she is a lot better and hopefully will be going back to work next week.
    Hazel c uk ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news. Still deep snow here in places but lovely sunshine

      Delete
  6. I saw the episode and thought it looked a good life, but I often think it's OK when you are young and strong, but so hard as you get older. I did like Mark's way of looking at things and I did want to read his books, your comments mean I will look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our self-sufficient life was good when we were in our 30s and 40s but now lugging wood around is hard work

      Delete
  7. I am well past the age where I could contemplate that way of life by choice. I need central heating, hot water and comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the programme with Ben Fogle and Mark Boyle, one of the best of this series alongside the Northern Ireland one the other week, the one when they ended up painting the house a rather fetching shade of pink .... nooooo I shouted at the television as they slapped it on!!

    Somehow Mark was not as I pictured him at all, and although the kale meal was a stretch too far I would almost be happy living such a simple life ... a few tweaks would be needed I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I missed the pink house one - must catch up on it.

      A simple life in a remote place is good until old age creeps up!

      Delete
  9. I had to chuckle at someone who gave up money for a year and then bought the small holding with the money he made. Agree with Rachel he did seem to duck things towards the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But he did set it up so that others who wanted to take time out to consider their lives could have a free break for as long as they wanted on his property. I thought that was a very good way to use the money.

      Delete
  10. I hope you are able to get your snow cleared out so you can get your car out this weekend. We've still got snow, ice and very cold temps here. Stay warm Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope your move happens soon...My 31st move is in about a month...will be glad to get it over...1000 miles...praying for safety...into another apartment...I am finishing with owning...letting others do the upkeep. I enjoy your blog always...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree about the pink house one. The Mark Boyle was like the curate's egg - good in parts. I think it was a bit stretched in places - not sure it was totally true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A foot of snow is quite a lot to shovel, especially if you have a long driveway, but we have to do that (and more!) several times a winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually like kale in a salad. But I don't think I would eat it for a snack.

    Hope all your snow disappears very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Ben Fogle. His new programme started here last night but I missed it. Will have to watch for it next week.

    ReplyDelete