Saturday 27 February 2021

Last Saturday in February

What's been happening this week that I've not already written about.........

Well, Tuesday was SO exciting - I went to the library in Debenham! After weeks completely shut Suffolk libraries have opened for collecting reservations so I altered my pick up point for reservations from the mobile library to Debenham library- just until the mobiles start up again. And my first book arrived there. Due to watching all the police crime dramas from around the world I'd not finished a book for weeks but I got straight into this one................

Thumbnail for The Decent Inn of Death 

 This is the 6th in a series featuring  John Madden

"On a trip into Winchester, former chief inspector Angus Sinclair learns of a tragedy that has taken place in the village he is staying in. Beloved church organist Greta Hartmann has slipped and fallen to her death in a shallow creek, and while investigations conclude it to be an accident, her friend and housemate, Vera, remains unconvinced. After learning that Greta was the widow of a prominent anti-Nazi German preacher, Sinclair meets with the distraught Vera, and he resolves to dig deeper into the story. His investigations lead him to the stately manor of Julia Lesage, where she lives with her devoted staff that includes her secretary, cook, and driver. Though confined to a wheelchair, Julia is an electrifying spirit with a sharp wit, and those who know her adore her. Among those who do, a gentleman with dubious business dealings is also staying at the house--and Julia appears to be in love with him. A blizzard hits, keeping Sinclair, and later Madden, on the grounds with little to do but analyze the case of Greta's death, until a murder takes place, and everyone becomes a suspect."

The interesting thing about these books is the big gaps between publication dates and the equally large gaps between the period in which the books are set. So the first of the series is set in 1921 and this latest  is set in the early 1950s.

 ********

Also on Tuesday Brother in Law came over with his trailer and picked up the pots and gardening things that I want to keep, plus tools and DIY stuff from the garage and the strimmer and mower. He is going to put some things in his garage and the rest will be covered on the trailer and left tucked away at his friends farm. He also looked around for anything else that might-come-in-handy (he takes after his brother!) so things that I would have left here as I had no use for them have now gone to his garage. 

In the afternoon I had a heart stopping moment when a lady from the company through which I'm renting the holiday let rang to check that I wasn't actually going to be on holiday. For one dreadful moment I thought she was going to say I couldn't stay there after all. But all is well. Holidays in self catering are Not allowed yet but letting to do with business or house moving are OK. Phew! I breathed a very big sigh of relief.

On Thursday there was an email from the company that run the swimming pool to say that fingers crossed, all being well and God Willing the pool will reopen on 12th April.....will I get a swim in before my birthday?........ only time will tell.(and will my swimming costume still fit?!)

And then here we are  - Saturday again. 

This week I'm grateful for

  • Being able to get organised for moving
  • Library books again
  • Time with Grandchildren

Just editing in to say how sorry to hear that Jill at Land of the Big Sky has passed away. I've enjoyed her posts for so many years and the photos of the sea were always a treat. Sending condolences to the DP and her children and grandchildren.

Have a lovely weekend. 
Back Monday
Sue


28 comments:

  1. Phew! indeed on the holiday rental. I hope you can get your swim. Things are heading in the right direction now, as long as the Covidiots don't spoil it all! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to getting back to swimming

      Delete
  2. What a relief about your holiday rental. Glad some of the stuff no good to you had a purpose for your b-in-law! We got left all sorts of useful stuff here, including ladders, lawnmower, brush strimmer, and about 20 various planters and contents.

    Sad news about Jill. I shall miss her posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will miss Jills photos and paintings - very sad

      Delete
  3. That must have been a relief. I'm glad everything is going okay with the move.
    I can't wait to start swimming again as, it's something both Lily and I have really missed.
    I'm so very sorry to hear about Jill. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was glad plans were OK - or I would be homeless!

      Very sad about Jill. COPD is so cruel

      Delete
  4. I had wondered about your 'holiday' let, but at least there is provision for people in your situation.
    So sorry to hear about Jill. She'd suffered a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I have somewhere to live until I get into the bungalow!
      Yes Very sad to read about Jill - I shall miss her photos and paintings

      Delete
  5. It is brilliant to find some joy in things opening after lockdown. Libraries have been sorely missed. I hope I never take them for granted again once they open up again. New beginnings with your pending move. I am keeping fingers crossed that all will go smoothly from now on.
    I will miss Jill and her posts very much. She was my seaside fix for the day. A dose of vitamin sea as she used to call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope wherever Jill is she is still getting her vitamin sea

      Delete
  6. You sounds to be getting yourself really organised Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear that everything is working out with your holiday let. That must give you a little peace of mind. It is wonderful too that you can now go to the library and before long will be able to go to the swimming pool! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope all the cases of covid keep going down so we can start to get back to normal

      Delete
  8. Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Jill has passed away. I only discovered her blog a few months ago, and really enjoyed her fascination with the sea and the photos it produced. Now she can enjoy the sea as much as she wants.
    Good luck on your holiday let because of moving house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill's bird paintings from her photos were so good too

      Delete
  9. I'm glad places are starting to open up in England. Our restaurants are open for indoor dining. 50% open. Glad your still able to use holiday spot to stay at and moving is coming soon and helpful family members for you! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still months before we can eat inside restaurants - hope nothing happens to stop the decline in covid cases

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the book review. I always see what you have enjoyed and then see if I can get in on Audible. That way I can crochet at the same time.
    It was so sad to hear about Jill. Her photos were a little piece for home for me stuck down here in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find this series on audible. I'm no good at listening to stories - my mind goes off somewhere else!

      Delete
  11. Hopefully things will slowly get back to normal now and more importantly stay that way. Glad you've found a legal halfway house until the bungalow move is sorted out :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon we'll all be screaming loudly if we have to have another lock- down next Autumn!

      Delete
    2. One thing you can be sure of if that happens, there will be plenty of blog readers with their halos on blaming everybody else.

      Delete
  12. Glad to read that the let is still a go. You have organized everything so well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book looks good! Always into a new mystery detective!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Avast antivirus is a leading antivirus software known for eliminating malware, virus and other potentially harmful files from your computer. Avast Customer Service Phone Number Digital threats can result in loss of critical information, corruption of software in computers and identify theft to name a few. Avast Customer Support Number Avast provides full security to the computer by preventing the malicious files from entering in your device and removing those already present in your system. However, sometimes users face difficulties in using the antivirus. They come across a situation where the Avast antivirus stops working and cannot perform the usual scanning for virus. Users must not ignore a problem with the software and reach out to the Avast customer service for proper guidance and troubleshooting via Avast Telefoonnummer, they are available 24/7.

    ReplyDelete