Monday 28 March 2022

A Book Sale - Wahoo and Whoopee!

 By luck I heard about the book sale at the Suffolk Wildlife Trust site at Lackford Lakes. I am much nearer now than the time we used to drive all the way there from the smallholding..........that was in the days when we were looking for country and farming  books to sell at The Suffolk Smallholders Show.

Lackford Lakes are old gravel pits North West of Bury St Edmunds and belong to the Suffolk Wildlife Trust who own interesting nature reserves all round Suffolk, this is one of two with a visitor centre and all facilities.


 

The books are all donated and most are bird, wildlife and  natural history books but there are a few others. I picked out these below.

 A couple for the grandchildren and two more old Ladybird books - I seem to be inadvertently starting a collection. (The Understanding Maps book was one of my favourite ever Ladybirds). Woodston was a library book I loved last year - nice to have a copy. Also got a book of 100 Christmas poems ready for advent posts this year perhaps. They ask for donations of 50p, £1 or £5 for some of the older special books.

I saw a man who is always at book sales, he once worked for Suffolk County Council Highways and Col would  catch up with him at all the book sales each year. He buys bagfuls  of books and sells on ebay, I said "see you at Colchester in October" - that's the huge charity book sale which is on again this year after Covid.

I didn't stay long because I wanted to get to a place not far away that was having a free open day and I knew it would be very busy.

 Sometime I need to visit and actually walk around the lakes and do a bit of bird watching......one day. 

Back Tomorrow with lots of photos
Sue




31 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I'm looking for places to go when I have my break in Bury next month and it looks lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy Joy is an interesting town. 🌈🌈

      Delete
    2. Tomorrows post is about another place close to Lackford Lakes and 6 miles from BSE

      Delete
  2. Really a good selection of books and I have a couple of the Ladyburd books. Glad you had a good day out.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh for a Ladybird book indeed...just the right size for a young one to hold and look through. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully at least 1 out of 5 grandchildren will like the Ladybird books and I'll be able to pass them on

      Delete
  4. Gosh, it's ages since I've been to a book sale! I enjoyed Monty Don's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read two of Monty Dons books years ago but none recently

      Delete
  5. That looks like a great haul. The ladybird books were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be finding more old Ladybird books recently. Hope they come in useful

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful book haul, just my kind of thing. And Lackford Lakes sounds wonderful. Are you far from Minsmere? We went there about 15 years ago and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. So many avocets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Smallholding where we lived in Knodishall was only a few miles from Minsmere and many people stayed on our carvan and campsite to visit there. I've been a few times but we couldn't afford to go more often

      Delete
  7. i have neither of the ladybirds , which is unusual, i started with half a dozen and now have well over a hundred...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way behind you on my collection - mainly looking for the information ones rather than the stories

      Delete
  8. A great selection there, I'd love the Monty Don one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has short pieces about things for each season - looks interesting

      Delete
  9. Wonderful choices. I work at a used bookstore and I am still crazy for any book sales I can find.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are not so many charity book sales happening since Covid - sadly

      Delete
  10. I had Monty's book as a Christmas present when first published - I love it because it is snippets about various plants and a really good book for dipping into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good selection of books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few good finds from the several 100 there.

      Delete
  12. Glad you had such a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nature reserves are always wonderful and the book sale provided you with some great finds. Seeing someone you and Col knew from past years makes the day even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should really look around the lakes one day as I've only ever been there for the book sales!

      Delete
  14. Book sales are the best fundraisers! Your selection looks good and you got a great variety too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the old ladybirds. Last year I saw the starling murmurations at Lackford which was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good book sale. It looks as though you got some lovely books

    ReplyDelete