Monday 7 March 2022

Comparison Shopping is Such Fun!

 It was interesting to do the Aldi/Morrisons comparison last month, in fact so much fun that I thought I would do it again!

Aldi and Asda in Stowmarket this time. And I was so right about February's food spending being amazingly low as by the time I'd shopped at both (Asda had things I needed that Aldi don't stock) I'd spent ⅔ of what I spent in the whole of February! But hopefully I now don't need to shop for much other than fresh stuff for the rest  of this month.🤞.......I always think this fingers crossed emoji looks a bit like a chicken drumstick!

This time I've  failed at writing all the Asda comparison prices down - Duh. Can't remember who the youtuber was (he got mentioned last time I did this) who does this sort of thing for a living - but he obviously has more patience than me!

This is most of the Aldi shop - I didn't photograph what I got from Asda as I was in a hurry to get everything put away so I could have my lunch.

 
I've not worked it out completely nor listed everything this month. There was some stuff from Asda that Aldi don't have(or I didn't find or forgot to look for).

Aldi                                                   compared with                     Asda

650g Chicken Breast    £3.49                                                 1kg = £5.35
Tin Corned Beef           £1.79                                                           £2.00
Frothy Coffee Sachets  £0.79                                      Nescafe        £1.50
Soft 'marge' for cakes* £0.75                                     Stork              £1.50
Pasta                             £0.29                                                           £0.29
Bread Flour                  £0.59                                                                ?
Yeast                            £0.59                                                             £0.79
Hot X Buns*                £0.89                                                               ?
Bread Burger Rolls(4)  £0.75                                                      (6) £0.99
Tortilla Chips               £0.45                                                                ?
Pringles*                      £1.65                              35g bigger            £2.00
Distilled Vinegar          £0.29                                   Sarsons             £1.24
Ex-Mature cheese         £1.79                                                            £2.00
Milk  2pt                       £0.95                                                            £0.95    
2   Bananas*                 £0.28                       1kg         £0.95            £0.25p
500g Carrots                 £0.27                      1kg         £0.43              £0.21
Sm. Potatoes500g        £0.62                      1kg         £0.85               £0.42
Aubergine                     £0.69                                                            £0.69
Cucumber                     £0.43                                                            £0.45
Braeburn Apples           £1.19                                                           £0.99
Lettuce *                       £0.43                                                           £0.46

*Haven't tried Aldis own make of cake making "marge" before - I'll see how it compares to Stork - which makes excellent sponge cakes.
*I know it's not Easter! but these are handy to keep in the Freezer - they fill a hungry Grandchild better than anything else .
*Pringles ....Tut -although  I do eat them as part of a meal and a tube lasts me quite a while.
*Bananas. Priced individually in Aldi and have gone up 1p each since last month.
*Iceberg lettuce- not my favourite lettuce in the  world but they are much cheaper than anything else and weight for weight are a bargain.
 Also from Aldi I bought another veggie frozen "thing" to try - (future taste test post), 
From Asda I  bought some smoked Mackerel fillets (forgot to look for these in Aldi) and some small Frozen salmon steaks, a 3kg bag of Allinsons Strong Bread flour as I've found the Aldi bread flour is best mixed with something of better quality to get a good loaf from my breadmaker, cooking chocolate and fajita seasoning which I couldn't find in Aldi. Small plum tomatoes too as I missed them in Aldi. 
Asda also have the Nescafe decaf frothy coffee sachets not available in Aldi. One thing I noticed had shot up in price was a jar of Hellmans Mayo - I tried Aldi own brand a while ago and it wasn't nice at all so reverted back to the best. I don't use it often (warm pasta salads, egg mayo sandwich) so the great ol' jar of 800g will last me months and it will need to at the shocking price of £3.29! ......looked it up later and it would have been cheaper at Morrisons ..........ho hum.
 
March Meals........................There are still several things from the pre-Christmas stash and February's shop in the freezer. I started off the month by making a quiche again, which provides me with 4 meals that don't seem repetitive if served with something different each day.The aubergine is going to make a batch of aubergine and tomato sauce for pasta(probably 4 portions); Mackerel fillets (2) also going with pasta in a warm pasta salad. The Chicken breasts have been halved and frozen making 6 meals - in tortilla wraps for one and others I've not decided on yet. ( I may go back to jointing and freezing a whole fresh chicken next time I need chicken meat - probably June shop)
 
The results of  this months comparison are not as clear cut as last months Aldi/Morrisons test. Several things in Asda work out cheaper than Aldi whereas last month Morrisons was more expensive nearly all the time (although Asda often only have larger packs for a family rather than a single person). 
 
All jolly good fun............... what shall I compare next month?
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue                                                      

32 comments:

  1. It's fascinating to see this. I hardly go to the big Asda because I'm not confident driving there and it's out of the way. I think it will interesting to see how things go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices of everything are going to rise - that's a definite!

      Delete
  2. Hot cross buns are delicious all year round! And they make a lovely bread and butter pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to make some proper ones at Easter this year

      Delete
  3. We went to our Aldi last week, having not been for a while, and I was surprised to see big gaps on the shelves, not seen that before in there although our Sainsburys and Morrisons regularly have gaps. It makes shopping so much more frustrating when you can't get everything you need in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treking round all the shops will soon cost too much for the fuel so I think I will only go where I can do two shops next to each other

      Delete
  4. Do you have a Lidl nearby?

    Chatting to a neighbour yesterday* she reckoned that the fresh veg/fruit in the local Lidl were superior to Aldi; for some reason it is a store which has never felt attractive to me but I'm going to give it a try this week and see how I get on.

    *she has two vegetarian children and a very fussy husband, so buys a great deal of fresh stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Lidl in Stowmarket too but I've never been a fan. It always seems to be in a muddle right inside the door and a lack of check-outs. I'll have to go and looks at the fresh stuff

      Delete
  5. I follow 'Which' on Instagram and they reported last week in Feb, Lidl was the cheapest in their survey on a general basket of shopping, followed by Aldi, even Asda can't match their prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better pop to Lidl and have a look - not a fan of my nearest

      Delete
  6. This is interesting, wonder how it works out with Lidl, I do most of my shop there.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have fun and do a comparison shop too!

      Delete
  7. Pay fair prices to cover production costs is all that is paramount.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Atomic Shrimp the YouTuber you are thinking of, and he only does the big comparison shop once a year ... more regularly would be too much even for him I think.

    For me at the moment I'm thinking Aldi is by far the cheapest at the moment, even with Sainsbugs and Tesco 'Price Matching' it's only on some items which is fine if those are the only ones you want but Aldi's prices are lower right across the board. On just a couple of items that I compared over the weekend I could save almost a pound by shopping at Aldi.

    We don't have a Lidl near us but Alan calls Aldi Lidl ALL the time so he confuses a lot of folk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew someone would tell me who the youtuber was - I was just too lazy to look it up!

      Delete
  9. An interesting comparison. Living in the US, and not having an Asda, Aldi or Lidl near me, I have to say that my comparison of some of your prices to what I have recently paid is more than a little disheartening. When converting things (i.e. to our weight measures and pound to dollar), on average, virtually everything you listed that I usually buy costs at least 25% more here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd really because the US has lots of temperature ranges so should be able to grow more than we do here and your transport fuel costs are less I think too.

      Delete
  10. After reading your blog yesterday, it was interesting to compare store brand prices versus brand name prices at Walmart last night. Charmin "value" soft TP was $18 and change, while the store brand that compared was $11 and change. Splenda brand bags were $7 and change, while the comparable store brand was $4 and change. We bought store brands, saving $10 just on those 2 items and will see what we think. Thanks, Sue. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes here the own store brands are the same as branded but just different labels but sometimes own brands are not so good. Just have to try and see

      Delete
  11. I just go to one grocery store here as I don't want to take the time to drive all over. The cost of gas and driving around seems to cancel out the savings so I save on time and gas by just shopping at the store closest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuel costs are going up in huge leaps here so it will be shopping less often than once a week I think

      Delete
  12. Lately, I shop 2-3 stores to get everything on my list. Supply chain issues continue. Knowing where to shop for certain items is key. Now I've got my route...with 2 stores down the street from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still some problems here and I usually try to do two that are close together to save car fuel

      Delete
  13. I can't go shopping so have no alternative but to shop on line Sue. Judging from traffic past my window almost every supermarket delivers on my estate but I stick to Tesco.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Aldi it has some fantastic products at lower prices. But i do find gaps in my grocery list that it cant fill. So I have to go to another supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We went to Aldi today the poor shelves looked very bare in spots and and the freezer section was pretty much empty. I got all I needed and some I didn't Just to stock up. I am keeping track not comparison shopping. but just so I know what I spend each month.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. How very interesting to see the difference in prices.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. I love the cost of a lettuce - made me laugh. An iceberg lettuce here costs about a 1 pound 50. I cringe at the prices whenever I shop. I have certainly cut down on what I'm buying and how many times I am going to the shops. I am finding it a lot easier when I plan meals and don't have to think too much about it!

    ReplyDelete