Wednesday 30 March 2022

The Church of St Mary, Bacton

 Another church local to me and not in the 100 churches book and for a change it's actually a church I've been in more than once - in fact almost every Remembrance Sunday through my years as a Cub Scout Leader and for a few funerals too.

Bacton is quite a big village now and growing, with 3 new areas being developed for housing in the next couple of years.

 

The church has been completely modernised in the last 10 years with areas for groups to meet and a room made for use as a mini cafe twice a month.


The church is wide with side aisles and clerestory windows making it light

The font is well carved

And several colourful stained glass windows


The one below commemorates a member of the Barker family from the 1850's. They still farm and own land around the village.

View back down the nave from the altar. The organ is reached by climbing a stairway to the right and was moved there fairly recently.


An eagle lectern, like they have in many churches and behind it is the narrow stairway which would have gone up to the rood screen maybe - not sure. There was a screen across between nave and chancel in Simon Knott's Churches website, there's a picture from 2019 which he says is a screen that was originally from a side chapel. It's now up behind the organ.



 

 

What I had completely forgotten since the last time I was in here is that the ceiling is still painted in places and there are the remains of wall doom paintings which were found relatively recently.



The Pretyman family are remembered here. They were once big landowners in the village and there is a Pretyman Avenue to remember them



Back Tomorrow
Sue

21 comments:

  1. Your mention of Bacon village brings back memories of visits to an aunt and uncle of mine who lived there in the 1960s - it was small and very rural then with, as memory recalls, a bus service to Stowmarket that ran just two days a week - Saturdays and market days - making life difficult for my two cousins when they moved to secondary school there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved there in 1980 (and moved away in 1992) and by then there was a new big estate and there has been lots of infill building since then but now 3 big new estates are planned of nearly 200 houses all being started so the village will be huge. In the 80's the bus service was quite good but now very poor.

      Delete
  2. I love the stained glass, it looks wonderful. Very Pre-Raphaelite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting church and the paintings are nice. So much to see at this church and you could stay for along while seeing this church.
    I love to see the Eagle Lectern brought back memories when I was a guide/Sunday school teacher and reading the lesson.
    Thank you Sue.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen lots of eagle lecterns on my travels but probably more wooden ones

      Delete
  4. A lovely church and you can imagine how colourful it was back in its heyday - before Cromwell came along and took away the pomp. There is a rebuilt church at St Fagan's Cardiff which has been painted as it may have been in the past (or certainly others were) and it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St Fagins is one of those places I wished we had got to before Colin died.
      Would love to see that church

      Delete
  5. Beautiful church, old Newton church here near to where we've moved, holds lovely memories for me. I was bridesmaid for my cousin and a sad memory is my school friend Judith's grave is there, she died age 16 after a car accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me puzzled for a minute as there is an Old Newton in Mid Suffolk too!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely church and I like they have made it completely useful in this day and age. A church should be useful not just for sundays
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sadly some Parishes don't like any change and of course there is never enough money

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful church. Modernized to meet the needs of the community and not just Sunday services is outstanding. Churches in the US are busy on Sunday but are quiet the rest of the time. That is, quiet until they sponsor a sale or fund raising event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much fund raising needed for churches here too. I'm going to a village yard sale event in the village on Saturday which is raising money for the church

      Delete
  8. A wonderful church. As others have said I like to see how churches are adapting for more use and think Bacton have done a marvellours jop of how they have done theres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found so many differences between churches I've visited in how some have modernised and others haven't

      Delete
  9. It's great to see such a beautiful working church. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful stained glass and I love the organ too. I would love to hear the organ play in that church, especially since they moved it up higher.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautifully updated church.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your church visits. They are so very interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing the old churches and cathedrals...and I've only see the tiniest portion of them. The thing that amazes me most about the oldest ones is that the floors are made of tombstones over the bodies of those who came before.

    ReplyDelete