Tuesday 8 March 2022

Early Preparations

A couple of  weeks ago when I went to Aldi they had Mangoes as one of the special offers and that gave me the idea to make Mango and Pepper Chutney ready for both the WI show and Bacton Fayre Day in August.........and to eat here of course.
Usually I would wait until my own peppers were ready but that would be too late. The schedule says that chutneys need to be made at least two months before the show to give them time to mature and a judge would taste and know.

This is my recipe which is also on the separate recipe page - quite a long way down.


MANGO CHUTNEY

3lb Mangoes ( 3 Very large or 5 small)
½ tsp salt
1 Large Red pepper (I used two as the bought ones weren't very big this time)
12oz cooking apples
15 fl oz distilled vinegar
1 large onion chopped
7oz sugar
1tsp ground ginger
 
Slice the mango flesh, place in a non metallic bowl, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
Put vinegar and sugar in a preserving  pan and heat gently until sugar is dissolved.
Add the peeled, cored and chopped apples, mangoes,onion and ginger to pan, bring to boil stirring regularly.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for about an hour, stirring more frequently until chutney is thick with no excess liquid.
Pour chutney into sterilised jars and seal with new sterilised lid.
Leave to mature for 4 weeks and use within a year.
 
This made 6 various sized jars of delicious fruity chutney and although it says use within a year, the jar in the fridge that I'm using is the last of some  made in 2020 and is still fine.
 
 
 


Don't think I will need 6 jars so some will be given away - but perhaps a bit too early in the year to save them for the Christmas hampers.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

27 comments:

  1. I love mango chutney, husband doesn't, so I don't have it often. I did put some in the dahl I made a couple of weeks ago, husband didn't notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is nice and fruity - bit like an apple sauce

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that tried and trusted recipe. I will have to get Tam to make me a batch (we'll share it) as my asthma can't cope with the vinegar fumes these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin used to hate the small when I was chutney making - but I never even notice it!

      Delete
  3. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should enjoy some with your quiche! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some sweet onion "marmalade" chutney with the quiche but the mango would go well too

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious I love something sweet with my curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once bought a jar of mango chutney from a Country Market stall and it was even hotter than a curry! I like cool and fruity with my curries

      Delete
  6. that sounds so good I think it would be wonderful on chicken
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mango chutney sounds very tasty. I enjoyed the new spring photo of blossoms. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. This chutney sounds delicious. Fruity over hot is definitely preferred. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds delicious, but that's one sort of chutney I have never made. When I entered the Llanrwst Show and John's Trelawnyd Show I used mixed fruit and veg chutney that was very well matured, over a year old in fact. It was delicious, and Alan made sure we collected and brought home the jars afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For several years I made about 10 varieties to sell every year but that was a bit too much like hard work!

      Delete
  10. I have never made my own mango chutney, thanks for the recipe. I may try it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds very pleasant indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never thought to make mango chutney before. Definitely worth a punt if I see mangoes on offer. Mr GBT and I have both said we want to try and make as much for ourselves as possible now. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new header photo - Spring at last! I presume the red peppers are chopped and go in with the other fruit. I think I would like to roast the peppers a bit first to get the skin off. My favourite chutney is green tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your chutney is a lovely colour. Hope you do well with the judges.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete