Monday 14 March 2022

First Car-boot Sales of 2022

Before I get to the subject of the post I must say hello and welcome to some new followers. It hovered around 719 or 720 going up and down but I see now at 722 - thanks for clicking.

I found some comments on the Library Book Photo post that I need to reply to. Thanks to Susan for the idea for a good printer/photocopier. Aril mentioned a book called The Lore of the Land - so I had to look that up of course!....think it will be added to my wish list. Hello to Cath who I've added to my reading list as she writes about books which are similar to my reading.

 Now to the boot-sales............................

 With the price of diesel for the car shooting up every week there will be fewer boot-sale bargains this year. I'll only visit  the Wednesday/Saturday one at Needham Market if I need to do  shopping or other errands afterwards or if I'm not going anywhere else in the week. No more trips to Woolpit now - that's much too far. I shall have to get over my car-boot sale addiction PDQ! The Sunday boot sales at Stonham Barns starts on 3rd April, only a short ride down the A140 so much more affordable and excusable.😀

Finds from the first week were these below plus another puzzle/sticker book and 3 more toy vehicles which I took to  Youngest Granddaughter and Middle Grandson.

I gave 20p for the small pack of Traidcraft Christmas cards, £1.50p for the five vehicles, £1.50 each for the two baskets ready for Christmas Hampers (never too early to prepare!) and the new puzzle/sticker books were 50p each.(one was an Usbourne publication priced at £7.99!)

The next boot sale I went to was on Saturday and you never know what strange things you can find among the boxes of things cleared from cupboards by the people who do house clearances .....including tins of fruit! 

 

I paid £1 for the 4  tins of fruit and 50p for the nearly full packet of washing soda crystals. Topsy and Tim book was 20p and a bundle of 5 cards for £1. The brass and glass thing is a candle holder, complete with snuffer - this is ready for the next time the electric goes off! It's not the sort of thing I usually buy as I'm aiming to find things that will save me money rather than add to 'stuff', but it just appealed and after that storm a few weeks ago it seemed like a good idea. That was my big spend of £3.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

 


34 comments:

  1. Cor, you really find some bargains, Sue! We didn't go to many boot sales last year, or the year before, but think we'll have to start going to some nearby ones this year. Don't think any have started here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few bargains amongst all the junk . It was mostly dealers or traders at these first sales

      Delete
  2. A good haul. Can't wait for our boot sales to start. We have one "local" one - at Llandod which is 9 miles from here, and then the much bigger and better one at Madley but that is 34 miles so we will probably only go to that one if we are selling there now.

    You had some good buys. I think the candle holder was well worth buying.

    Meant to ask, do the recipients of your full baskets not give the empty ones back for refilling the next year?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The candle holder was from a dealer so I was expecting it to be more so I was surprised when she said £3 - thought she was going to say £10 and then I would have left it!

      Delete
  3. When people die they have larders to be cleared. Larders contain tinned stuff and so you have tinned fruit at car boots from house clearers. Why the surprise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's not something I have ever found before!

      Delete
  4. We don't have any car boot sales near us but I love to see your bargains at the ones you attend. Soda crystals are one of my favourite products - can't beat them for freshening up the drains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd got Soda Crystals on my shopping list for next month so this was a happy find. I use them with a little ecover for doing the washing - keep the washing machine clean too

      Delete
  5. Hubby is partial to a car boot sale...it is amazing what can sometimes be found if you're prepared to trawl through boxes and boxes of junk! Loving the header photo of the blossom. It has put a smile firmly across my face this morning. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One house clearance person had loads of boxes of books but it hurts my back to search through too many - hope I didn't miss a treasure!

      Delete
  6. When sister and I were clearing mother's house there was a cupboard full of tinned stuff to go. Sister scooped the first half in bags for herself and I got the back lot of tins mostly well out of date but perfectly edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't worry about BB dates on tins either - apart from rusty or very dented

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the lovely welcome, Sue. It's such a shame that your love of car boot sales is going to be curtailed somewhat. I know in the great scheme of things that are going on at the moment it might not seem like much but it's still sad to have to do without things that make us happy. Roll on the 3rd. April for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car boot sales are my favourite fair weather hobby - a good walk with chance of finding bargains!

      Delete
  8. the gas prices here are going crazy too. We are making lists of all the things we need to do when we have an appointment somewhere, so we only make one trip.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as the weather gets better it's too expensive to drive anywhere!

      Delete
  9. Great bargains again there. There was a boot sale near us yesterday but it began at 6am and it had rained throughout the night. I couldn't face tramping through a muddy field. What a lightweight I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never go as early as 6am even though they do start that early- usually roll up by 8, might get earlier as the weather gets better

      Delete
  10. We do not have car boot sales but we do have resale shops and it is always fun to spot a treasure that is priced low! You do a great job on finding the bargains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that will save me money is what I'm hoping for

      Delete
  11. You've done very well! Just the baskets alone would have cost 20+ dollars in the US. The basket size and shape look to accommodate a nice family gift hamper. I planned to go to a local estate sale but my neighbor, Mary, popped over for coffee and I missed the afternoon sale. I'm thinking I was not meant to go to the sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to catch up with a friend, perhaps you can get to another sale sometime

      Delete
  12. That was a successful car boot and you are a talented shopper! I especially love that candle holder. It's a bit safer with the glass too. Have a great week Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to search out a bargain while having a good early morning walk!

      Delete
  13. That looks like some bargains and the candle holder is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And that gizmo closing the washing crystals will close a lot more. Chips, snack bags, etcetcetc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great bargains from your first visit to a car boot sale this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some nice finds at the boot sales. Those baskets look as though they are perfect for hampers.

    I think I spot a Kingfisher on one of those cards! Love those birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were 3 cards with kingfishers - handy cards for men

      Delete
  17. I've not been to a boot sale for over 30 years. I absolutely loathe shopping. I know that if my husband and I went to a car boot sale he would just buy a load of c**p so I avoid them at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't count it as shopping - more like treasure hunting and being a widow I dont have the husband problem!

      Delete