Thursday 31 March 2022

March Financial and Frugal(?) Round Up

I said March would be an expensive month and Oh My Goodness it really was! I paid the water bill and the sewer bill (two different companies) all at once. I could have sorted monthly direct debit but the amount paid would still have been the same.
The regular phone/broadband  and charity direct debits and the 4 weekly Electric bill and worse of all ....the car service, tyres and MOT.......  which was huge but totally unavoidable, and diesel of course.
As everyone knows the price of fuel for cars has rocketed again this month, at my last fill-up of February diesel was £1.49 a litre I think, that was up from around the £1.30 mark last year. Then in the first week of March it was £1.67 at my nearest garage and then £1.77. The 5p a litre off fuel duty announced on the 23rd will not make a whole lot of difference. I'm going to have to cope with it because after the Covid years I really don't want to forego trips out.

The bill came for Council Tax for the next year. I opted for the 10 month direct debit this year, so that I'd get the £150 Government  "gift to help with price rises" automatically in April rather than having to claim it. That will cover one month.

Garden spending was a biggie too because I bought two water butts and fixings and sent for another water pipe connection for the other side of the greenhouse and a filter kit for the house down-pipe. That means I just need one more water butt and another filter kit and  Brother in Law to fit them, then all will be sorted so that I can ask for a water meter. 
There were small plants for the plant stand from boot sales and I have ordered some brassica plants to arrive in July and some enviromesh to cover them with.
 
Also splurged on some new clothes - much needed underwear and this will shock the kids......I bought a dress. I really need something to wear at things like WI when it's too hot for jeans and shorts are definitely not suitable. Then I had to send for a waist slip to go under it as the linen mix material was a bit see-through!
Much of my other spending was small things at boot-sales..... 50p here and a £1 there which adds up but not to too much plus a hair cut which has gone up by £2 since last time and my dual membership for Bacton WI (which is half full price).  I still owe for main membership for this village but they are thinking about  subsidizing it so it might be less than the £44.
Then just before month ended  the dreaded dentist check up - which isn't  cheap of course but at least I've not got to have anything done this time and finally I've paid my membership for the over's 60's club.

I've thought of a few things done this month that might have saved me a few pence

  • Dyed a pair of old beige shorts with some navy blue dye, they came out a bit blotchy because I forgot to stir them but will be fine for at home and more practical than a light colour - I'm a dirt magnet when working in the garden!
  • Home made bread
  • 1 Pensioners discount Fish and Chips
  • Sowed seeds of Aubergines, Peppers, Leeks  and planted onion and shallot sets, and the aubergines and peppers are now pricked out into their own pots.                              


  • End of the month I sowed seeds of tomatoes
  • 4 tins of fruit for £1 from boot sale
  • Noticed an ad for the occasional Co-op Freezer Deal , and bought this lot for £5(although I got the substitute ice cream which was Ben and Jerrys Cookie dough ice cream instead.) I don't usually buy fish like this but needed fish fingers for grandchildren and peas were on my shopping list anyway.£5 Freezer filler deals - The Big Co-op Deal Drop The fish was OK but I wouldn't bother with it at full price. I prefer my once a month treat from the chip shop.
  •  Lots of lovely library books for free
  • Gift of half a dozen eggs 
  • Used up the remaining unusual fruits from the jewelled Christmas cakes to make a small fruit cake (it was mainly angelica, crystallised ginger and mixed peel and was slightly odd...but edible!)
  • Made lemon and grapefruit marmalade with a tin of prepared lemons and a tin of grapefruit.

I knew February food spend was just too good to be true at under £80. It just meant that the March food spending was nearly £50 more than that although I bought a few extras including flour, butter, cooking oil and sugar(for marmalade) before they go up in price even more.

Out of the house this month went..............

A bundle of random card blanks and envelopes that I won't need......... to charity shop
Some various craft papers     .................To charity shop
Some children's books not needed  ........To charity shop
Pair of too short shorts.............................To charity shop (although I've just realised all the above are still in a bag on the back seat of the car!)
 
 
Next month can't be as bad can it? The House Insurance and  TV Licence are  due but no other big outgoings although we are having a family get together for Easter and birthdays and I've offered to treat us all to a meal out which will be lovely........ I hope!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

28 comments:

  1. I have become the opposite to you, having reduced my worldly goods (all in storage) I hardly spend at the moment, except for some of this house bills. Your March total is a revelation of how much we have to spend to keep a roof above our heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frightening how much a home costs even for just one person.I am very thankful that we were always frugal so I know how to manage on a pension

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we just do get months like that when everything seems to happen at once. That's the beauty of tucking a bit aside when we can - then it doesn't turn a nuisance into a disaster.
    It all sounds really organised and under control and that's important, I think. Good for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the year is never as bad as March - thankfully

      Delete
  3. I only realised last week that the Co-op and the East of England Co-op are different companies. Having been diligently using my membership card in our local store, I attempted to use it at the shop inside Norwich Station. "that's a blue card, we only take green ones" said the bloke.. Imissed the £5 deal, it looked good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only a few Co-ops that are not East of England Co-op around here so I don't bother with a card for them as they don't do divi in the same way as the east of England do.

      Delete
  4. Not good when all the big bills stack up in one month and then you get the whammy of car maintenance too!

    I passed on the Co-op deal as the fish comes from a different planet. Not nice. Fishfingers bearable.

    You've reminded me, I really must get my seeds started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow here today so a good thing the plants are not outside

      Delete
  5. Wow I think we all have months like that, the council tax here is £84 more a month than Suffolk, but it has been announced its not going up this year. But a new dress is nice I have bought new ones last year. I read in Joys blog you have snow, brrrr Stay toasty warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness thats a big jump up in Council Tax from east to west. I've added the blog you are using now to my reading list - strange about the other one not updating

      Delete
  6. Everything has gone up so much I cannot keep track. We had to have a car repair and a few other things came up like new glasses. But I was thankful we had the money to pay for it all.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm very grateful that I can manage all the expenses without debt

      Delete
  7. I needed to use the car yesterday so decided to top up the tank - until I saw that diesel was 189.99 pence per litre! I did a swift drive-through and straight out again. The car can sit on the drive for another few weeks in the hope that prices might fall. A vain hope, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been far since my trip to the book sale etc last Saturday but will need to fill up again next week - no idea what sort of shock I will get!

      Delete
  8. Hi Sue, Is there a dress code for the WI, Only we have a new group starting in May and I've said I'll go along for one evening to see if I'm going to like it. No one has mentioned dress code so far! I do wear dresses in the summer but other than that jeans and trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No , no dress code but I wouldn't go in shorts! Jeans is the norm for winter or anything really.

      Delete
  9. Costs are escalating and everybody feels it. The exception was: Yesterday one gas station price was $3.99 and this was the lowest I've seen in a long time. I filled up and also bought gas for the John Deere. The previous week gas was $4.29. April has got to be better. Your Easter meal and celebration with family sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked online for forecourt fuel prices and one garage is 10p litre less than my nearest. I can go there on way home from shopping

      Delete
  10. A lovely post today Sue so much to comment on but I’ll just say like you I have decided I want to go out and about a bit more. Maybe tie in a visit with a trip to the shops or getting my prescription, things like that. I saw today that petrol was £1.61 and diesel 12p dearer up here. I expect we will have to live with these prices for a while yet. Thanks again for a wonderful post with so much of interest in it. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are things I had to drive to that I can now walk too but so many things I love doing that need a car journey so I'm going to carry on a pay the price

      Delete
  11. When you have car service and especially new tires you can expect your budget to get hit! Despite that you are a wise and frugal home manager and give good examples to others. Our worst months are when we have car and home insurance due and the once a year real estate taxes on our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a big spend on the car but now I'm glad it's done - next month will be better

      Delete
  12. March is always an expensive month for us too with 2 lots of car insurance as well as tax, service and MOT on G's car. And, of course, shortly followed by council tax payment and rent on 1st April. We also have several birthdays in March, consequently we haven't had any days out this month. I truly hope this cold weather goes away soon and that we can plan to go out a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind from the north pole was freezing here today! I didn't go far.

      Delete
  13. The price of fuel here is horrendous, even though it has come down a little (partial tax removal). I rely a lot on my little car to get me out and about so have no choice but to pay it, unless I become a hermit :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you remember when fuel went up to £1 a litre and there were lorry blockages...I wonder if that will happen again. Many people are struggling. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had a lot of similar expenses over the last month, car service, MOT, dentist, clothes etc etc ... so much for my Low Spend Year!!

    ReplyDelete