Tuesday 31 May 2022

End Of The Month Round Up

Seems to have been quite a long month with all sorts of different weather including hot enough for sitting out and then cold enough to wish I'd not altered all the boiler timings. Last Sunday was particularly cold and nasty....... I'm sure the cold weather was due to me buying new bottles of suntan and after sun lotions!.....Jinxed it.

 As predicted May was less spendy than April and there was extra income with that £150 government "help for price rises" going into the bank...............I was thinking how useful that would have been when we had 3 small children and a mortgage with interest rates much higher than now. Other income was the two pensions as usual and the State pension went up a little bit  - always handy.

Outgoings were the normal food, household stuff, direct debits for Council Tax, two phones and broadband and charity. The breakdown insurance was due for the car and two lots of expensive diesel plus the leaking tyre was sorted - a new valve needed. Hope that's cured the problem of slowly losing air and the pressure warning light coming on. 
Then I finally got round to buying myself a new bigger phone after originally going into the Tesco phone shop(the only place to buy a phone in the area) last November just as their computer went down - 6 months of procrastination! Luckily the sim card fitted.
I've now got all 4 water butts collecting rainwater so have filled in the forms to apply for a water meter.
Scottish Power electric bill was paid on an estimated reading. Seemed a lot but of course prices have gone up and I shall be reading the meter again this week so should find out the true cost.
My personal spending was on the various outings and a couple of second-hand books and two new bras.
Despite me saying last month that garden spending was virtually finished I still had to spend on some short canes and some wire for the greenhouse, the plastic things to fix the bean canes and the patio weeding tool, but at least all those things won't be needed again.

Only a few frugal things
 
  • Several Children's Birthday cards from boot sales for 50p each
  • Made a Wedding Anniversary card from stash
  • Bought new schoolbag for Grandsons birthday present, but filled it with items previously found at boot sales.
  • 2 tee-shirts for home wearing found at charity shops for £3 each.
  • 2 items bought for Christmas Hampers from boot-sale
  • Several things from boot sales that will save me money i.e foil, parchment paper
  • Mostly picked the right days for hanging out washing but I did have to use the tumble dryer once
  • No lights needed mornings and hardly any in the evenings now.
  • Altered the heating thermostat timer to lower temps for the summer so it rarely comes on.
  • Always mixing whole milk half and half with water
  • Reading library books for free.
  • Home made bread
  • A cauliflower for 88p made me two meals of Cauliflower cheese and two times side veg to go with other things
 
 I bought 2 of these Coconut Bird Houses for £3 each from the car boot sale ready for the Christmas Hampers. They had a huge pile of them the week before but wanted £6 each but needed to clear out the last two - bargain!
 

Back Tomorrow
Sue

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found May to be a very long month, although it was a VERY spendy one for me. I hate having to get a new phone so well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a day longer than April but seemed to go on for ages! So far so good with new phone

      Delete
  2. Would you mind buying a hot water bottle, see if you can jinx the weather back to warm? 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute birdhouse, it makes sense picking things up for gifts as you see them throughout the year. It's been an expensive month for me after moving house at the end of April and will continue to be so while we get all the jobs done that we want doing. Even though we're spending money that's been allocated we still try to get the best deals that we can, and we've already switched our gas and electric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving last May was extremely expensive but as I was downsizing so much it worked OK in the end

      Delete
  4. May...or not as June arrives tomorrow! Not sure where it has gone personally...x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the grotty cold weather that has made it seem a long month

      Delete
  5. Love the bird house. Our water almost cut in half once we went on a meter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water bill will cut in half too - eventually - when they can get it done

      Delete
  6. Today, everything is costly but you do well despite it all. I feel I am keeping up as well. I also wish the weather would sort, cold one day and baking hot (90 degrees F) the next is crazy. Despite it all, we do find pleasure, accomplish a lot every day and make the best of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuel prices are still going up here so I have to save in other places

      Delete
  7. Your grandson will enjoy receiving a school bag filled with fun surprises! I love how you collect gifts from boot sales all year for the Christmas Hampers. May June start out happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've had some good results from the car boot sales. That bird house is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had weird weather here as well. Rain, snow, more rain and pretty darn cold. Hope June is a better month for both of us as far as weather is concerned.

    Cute bird houses, and a great price.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not visited for a few days so am unsure when you changed your header, but I am loving seeing all those postcards together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't sound like a too bad month. Our weather has been up and down 32c one day and 15c the next! Brrr. We went camping last weekend and it was rather chilly at night! I wish I had bundled up a little more.

    I love the bird house! I'd be chuffed to get one in a hamper.

    ReplyDelete