Friday 30 June 2023

Another Library Book Photo in June

 The mobile library calls at villages every 4 weeks so this was the 2nd visit here this month and lots of crime fiction that I'd ordered had arrived this time including two new-to-me authors.


From Left to right - new crime by Alys Clare and the Rev Richard Coles. Death at the Dolphin by Gretta Mulrooney is an author I don't know.. 2 books containing three stories of older crime by Simon Brett - hope these are his Charles Parris series. The most recent book by Peter May - some of his I like and some I don't - we will see. 'Think of Me' by Frances Liardet might be too much of a romance - also not an author I know and lastly a book I'd missed by Cora Harrison from 2022. On the top is a little book called 'The Year I stopped to Notice'  which seems to be just a whole load of notes about things and people noticed in the street, beach, buses and tube by a lady in Brighton, Durham and London! It will take 10 minutes to read and at the end I will say - glad I didn't pay £14.99 for that!!


4 weeks ago I brought home these below and only read three as I wasn't in the mood for Rhythms of Nature, couldn't get on with Hamnet and the book by Alexander McCall Smith at all. I'm hanging onto the old Dorothy Hartley English Food book.

Luckily I had plenty to read from my shelves. Everything I read get's a mention on the Books Read 2023 Page. 



Back Tomorrow
Sue

30 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the Coles one - I did, tremendously. Quietly witty and gave me lots of little chuckles. I gather opinions have been a bit polarised though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will, as I enjoyed the first one a lot

      Delete
  2. Some books are unputdpownable while others are unpickupable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the Richard Coles. Never actually read a Charles Parris, but listened to lots of them on the radio. The 'stopped to notice' book seems a bit strange. I suspect we will see them in Charity Shops after Christmas. Sorry you didn't get on with Hamnet. You've got an interesting shelf there though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Charles Parris books are really of their time - but still good stories

      Delete
  4. Funny I read a Charles Paris last week as I love the radio series with Bill Nighy as Paris. Did not like the book - set in the 1970’s and all the racism and sexism that came with it.

    Was wondering what you would think about Hamnet when I saw the picture. I am with you one of the minority who did not like it. Her latest, Marriage Portrait was wonderful, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Charles Parris books really are a bit dated now but I can read them and ignore the racism etc as that was how things were back then

      Delete
  5. I really battled through Hamnet also. Just picked up the Marriage Portrait from the library, will see how I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get far into Hamnet - it was the way it was written - just didn't get on with it

      Delete
  6. I'm always interested to see what other people are reading. It often inspires my own 'must read' list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Year I Stopped to Notice has been doing very well, astute little observations, like miniature prose poems. Quite a few artists have got into illustrating them, too, a lovely cooperative venture. It's a Twitter account which I've been following, but the book isn't available here in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Near Neighbors is one of my favorite Molly Clavering titles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great stash. Look forward to hearing about your favourites
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will enjoy several of the crime for sure

      Delete
  10. It's so fun to have a new pile of books on hand!
    I went to my library the other day for a stack and brought home Landay's :All that is mine I carry with me" which was mentioned on a blog (altho I can't remember whose)! Happy reading, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are sell supplied with a nice mix of authors. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you got hold of the new Richard Coles really quickly! A friend says it's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been early on the list - there are still over 150 waiting - better read it quickly and get it back

      Delete
  13. The Peter May was dystopian and odd. I will be interested in your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear that doesn't sound like my sort of book at all!

      Delete
  14. I still haven’t finished Hamnet but as it’s on my Kindle it can be accessed if I change my mind and want to finish it. Didn’t realise there was a new Richard Coles somthat’s on my library list now. Enjoy your selection. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  15. You definitely have a good library! I should have bought the first Coles book when I was in London last year but I tried to only purchase books not published at home. I am still on the reserve list at the library but the series looks fun. I enjoyed at least one Molly Clavering and am glad there are others waiting for me at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Year I Stopped to Notice is a lovely little book. It made me look around for about a week after I read it, I could have written a very similar book the following week. :-)

    ReplyDelete