Tuesday 20 June 2023

Watching and Reading

 The rain started here on Sunday evening at the same time as the 3rd series of  Van de Valk. Set in Amsterdam but with everyone being English actors and talking English - just like the original series umpteen years ago.  I'm not sure how long the rain lasted as I went to bed at 10 but it didn't do much to add to the water butts. No thunder or lightning here - despite the Met. office giving us a yellow warning.

 Earlier in the evening more crime watching as I caught up on iplayer with the 6th and last of the series of Annika with Nicola Walker in the title roll- which for reasons known only to the beeb was on after the news after the penultimate in the series. I wasn't sure about Annika to start with - much quoting of literature to camera - that's what they call breaking the 4th wall - all very odd but by the end I'd got used to it and she will will be back in another series solving murders in the water around Glasgow next year.

There has been a lot of trailing of a new quiz for Channel 5  called Puzzling with the historian Lucy Worsley as host - not sure about her hosting a game show - might watch as it looks like something that will be good for the brain - which is why I enjoy Countdown, although I'm no good at the letters which frustrates me. And I've seen mention of Ken Bruce ( x Radio 2) bringing his Pop Master quiz to TV. I've not bothered to follow him to his new home on a commercial radio station. I was sad to see him go but when I read that one of his reasons for leaving was because he was 'forced' to play new releases. Well, personally I quite like hearing what's new in the pop world as opposed to stuff from the 70's and 80's that have been played a million times before.

I'm also making a point of watching the 1st  Ashes Test Match catch up programme each evening. The new exciting 'Bazball' way of playing should make things much more interesting. I love cricket and so did Colin, wish there was more of it on TV. 

Then there is the best thing of all -Tennis- Queens Club this week and Wimbledon starting soon after. I kept forgetting to watch the week of tennis from Nottingham which was on Prime - and  Andy Murray won - still playing 5 years after his hip operation. His second grass court win in a couple of weeks and seven years after his last one - amazing. Lesser players would have given up years ago.


Then reading...........I've run out of library books already as I wasn't in the right mood for any of the non-fiction so from my shelves I quickly got through the 3 stories in this book which I've had around for years. Dorothy Simpson wrote 15 books about Inspector Thanet between 1981 and 1999 and I read some of the later ones at the time the library had them in stock but the earlier books had long gone from the library so I got the first 9 in three omnibus editions for pence from Amazon a long time ago.


This has now gone into the charity shop bag and I've started reading the book I got myself for Mothering Sunday -  'Wanderers in the New Forest' by herbalist Juliette de Bairacli Levy.

Back Tomorrow
Sue



22 comments:

  1. Ah, you will LOVE Wanderers in the New Forest, although I still cannot quite conceive never cooking food. In the middle of winter a bowl of hot homemade soup never did anyone any harm. She knew the Forest so intimately though, and bits of it she writes about are familiar to me (the Forest was our playground as children - "let's go out for a drive" was always somewhere in the Forest or Lee-on-the-Solent beach (all stones!)

    Enjoy your sport. We have rain here today and I am SO pleased to see it. Hoping it will knock the last of the pollen off the grasses. Everyone was frantically making hay at the end of last week so I knew rain was forecast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right I am enjoying it and had to read the bit twice when she said she didn't cook - very odd.
      Less than two hours rain here this morning - no help

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. What rain that fell did no good at all as the ground is so dry and warm

      Delete
  3. Hardly any rain here, hopefully today. Should have let you know Surbiton and Nottingham were on the iplayer, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss things if they are not listed in the Radio Times !

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed VDV on Sunday - I'd love to visit Amsterdam again someday (I went on a 3 day citybreak about 20 years ago) Looking forward to Puzzling - I'm missing my Monday Quiz nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Puzzling programme looks like something people at home can join in with - hopefully

      Delete
  5. We had a (relatively) short but intense shower on Sunday night. Across all our water butts I collected over 2,000 litres which sounds a lot but is nothing when drained into the "Big Pond" which is currently 6" - 8" lower than its winter level. Fingers crossed for more, much much more because we desperately need it up here - so much for being the wettest place in England 😉.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit more rain here this morning still not enough to run off into the water butts

      Delete
  6. We had a bit of rain over Sunday but right now (Tuesday), it is very black indeed and we've had a bit with more to come by the looks of it. The garden certainly needs it, for sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had just enough to wet the surface today. No good at all

      Delete
  7. With the forecast of rain I had been looking forward to cooler, bearable days, but so far the sun is still shining. (Sad face).

    I like quiz programmes and will watch Puzzling just to see what it's about. Our favourite quizshows at the moment are Impossible (BBC2), Tenable (ITV) and Bridge of Lies (BBC1). Needless to say Impossible has been taken off at the moment because of tennis and expect it will stay off until after Wimbledon. We haven't watched Countdown for many years, but my sister-in-law will be one of the contestants soon so will be watching that one or two depending if she wins. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Countdown is 100% better with Colin Murray as host. Let us know your Sister in Law's name so I can watch out for her

      Delete
  8. The Torrington Commons Conservators have started a book selling point at the car boot sale every Sunday...in an old shipping container...must not visit too often!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish it would rain here. My grass has gone dormant from lack of rain and looks quite dry. At least it saves my son from mowing! I'm watering my brother's garden plot while he is away and it's tiring to lug the water in buckets. At least I will get some free produce when it starts growing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No rain is disheartening especially for gardeners. Fortunately, I've seen rain every couple of days. It is rather cool for June. Our Southern states are getting 100 degree plus weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a lot of heavy rain last night and then a few showers today so the garden is looking lovely and fresh ... and I don't have to water for a few days, brilliant!

    I am just quickly re-watching the last series of Van der Valk and then I can start on the new one. I didn't realise it had started on Saturday as my Radio Times only came on Monday ... our postie is on holiday and there was no-one to cover his round last week seemingly, so no Radio Times for me and no Father's Day cards for Alan until this week. I'm looking forward to trying Puzzling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never miss the chase each day for the same reason that I like to see how many questions I can answer, I'm not too bad and often wonder why some of the people bother to go on when they know so little.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. We like Pointless and House of Games here at GBT...perfect viewing for when I'm eating my tea! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  14. out of the past 20 days we have had rain 16 of them sometimes not all day but still rain. So things are green here and growing very well.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete