Saturday 10 June 2023

The Week Just Gone

 I started the week by cutting my own hair again for the first time for ages. The price keeps going up at the hairdressers  in the village so I decided to DIY. ....I do a 6 all over with the clippers. Very glad that I kept the trimmers because I'd thought about getting rid.

Middle Grandson- the 3 year old dinosaur expert - helped me sow the sweetcorn seeds when I looked after him a couple of weeks ago - he was ever so excited to see how they'd grown. Hope I can generate a bit of interest in him for gardening as it's completely by-passed all 3 children.


In the Greenhouse first week of June. The things I have too many of are still here!


 


 Flowers on the Table this week are a few bits from the garden - Lady's Mantle and Valerian with some Spirea to fill in


WI was interesting and will be a post on Monday. Keep Moving Group had a new person plus two people who first came weeks ago and were then not seen again so even though a few were on holiday we still had a good number.

Then it was really good to meet up with a friend in the Osier Cafe in Stowmarket Church who I've only seen a handful of times since we both left school in 1971. How to catch up on 50 years news?? Think we'll need to meet up again! 
(The bells have been re-hung so should be ringing out soon)

Friday was swimming and another week has zoomed by again. 

I know what I'm doing this weekend as I'm finally getting round  to touching up the paint in the hall way. The removal men knocked an over-radiator shelf off the wall when moving stuff in and I filled the holes but got no further with it until it dawned on me the other day that the left over paint from the en-suite would do the job. And that idea spurred me on to go and get a small can of paint mixed to cover some holes I'd filled in the living room (I'd been carrying a paint match card around with me for weeks). I'd like to paint the whole living room really but it's a difficult job with a carpet and nowhere to move the furniture. While I was there I also bought some Gorilla glue to fix down two loose ceramic tiles on the front doorstep. 
Should keep me busy! And of course there are car-boot sales, gardens open days in Eye or Old Newton and Yard/Garage Sales all round son's village too.

And that NE wind will be gone and we are due sunshine and warmth - WONDERFUL! 
🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Hope your weekend is full of interesting things too.
I'll be back Monday
Sue



38 comments:

  1. Your greenhouse plants are looking splendid! I planned to repaint the bedroom in June (paint bought last year) but I'm halfway through the month and not done a thing yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two jobs done but not covering the filled holes in the living room yet

      Delete
  2. Wow, your greenhouse is looking absolutely splendid. Are those aubergine plants in the square pots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - two too many that no one wants and I can't chuck out

      Delete
  3. It is definitely warmer out there this morning in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s predicted to be 24C today so I was up at 7 am for shower and chores. I am now looking for some shade to sit out and read my book. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun woke me early so I was at the boot sale by 7!

      Delete
  5. Your warm weather is arriving just as we are due a thunderstorm. Hopefully short lived as we have plans for Monday and Tuesday. Your crops are looking very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about time we had some heat over here after the weeks of NE wind

      Delete
  6. Envious of the greenhouse! There are so many rabbits and chipmunks in my back yard that even the flowers get eaten. I haven't tried vegetables this year.

    Good luck with the painting! Pre-pandemic I had a company spray insulation into the exterior of the house, which they swore would help retain heat in the winter and cool air in the summer. They also swore they could do it all from outside. At the end of the first day, they said there were several places where they would have to do it from the inside. I didn't want the whole project to be a waste so sadly agreed and there are about 17 places that need to be sanded and repainted. Most are in the guest bedroom and I bought the paint two years ago, promising I would attack the project on the next three-day weekend. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a couple of small bits of painting - just covering filled holes. Hope you get yours done sometime!

      Delete
  7. I love your new header pic. I'm glad you are getting some of the better weather at last ....... guess what? We've got rain in west Wales today, quite a novelty!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I DON'T look when laying about reading !

      Delete
  8. I have a postcard of that painting in your header. It says on the back Reading by the window, Hastings by Charles James Lewis 1830-1892 (Bridgeman Art Library).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidence! as the header photo is of a postcard that I had not sure if it's still around as I took the photo way back in March

      Delete
  9. I love your new header! It is an immensely satisfying feeling to accomplish the small tasks that sometimes get overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header is a photo of a postcard - me reading (in my dreams!)

      Delete
  10. Your greenhouse is looking amazing.

    It looks as though you have a few days of lots of little jobs to keep you busy, it's so rewarding when all the little put off niggly bits are finally completed isn't it.

    Enjoy the car boot sales and your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cross that I put things off that only take a few minutes to do.

      Delete
  11. We had a rainstorm here this morning but heading out shortly to dig up a bothersome weed - dock! We were to celebrate a birthday tonight for daughter but she's got the world's worse cold it seems and can't even talk. Where will you plant the corn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweetcorn is planted in one of the vegetable beds now. Hope your daughter soon feels better to celebrate the birthday

      Delete
  12. Your greenhouse plants look outstanding. Everything seems to thrive for you. I hope your grandson takes an interest in growing. If he watches the plant growth and reaps a bit of a harvest he might just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been very dull and grey for plants but hopefully we have warmth now for a few days

      Delete
  13. Your plants look lovely. You truly have a green thumb! I hope you find lots of good things at the boot sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so green as something has pecked at the onions and there were bugs on a pepper plant!

      Delete
  14. Just LOVE your header photo. It's so peaceful and restful. I used to over-winter Geraniums but can no longer have them as the petals are poisonous to cats and kittens are like babies - everything goes in their mouths!

    I have such greenhouse envy. I had the money to buy one (earned at a Fair) then OH said it would cost too much to get put up (he had no idea of actual costs, just guessing) and I'd need a concrete base (ditto) so yet again, no greenhouse. I have the small dark green polytunnel and a seed stack but not quite the same . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greenhouse was almost sorted before the bungalow was! Love greenhouse growing

      Delete
  15. P.S. I have cut my hair for years - just straight around the bottom and curled under with tongs so any uneven bits are out of sight! I cut OH's too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your plants look fantastic - so happy and healthy. All the best with all the repairs and tasks. It all sounds . . . satisfying.
    It's warm here too - so, so lovely. A week ago I was shivering. Now it is blissful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have temps gone from 17 to 27 in a week?! weird weather

      Delete
  17. I've been gone for a few nights helping my best friend with her garage sale - like your boot sales, I guess, altho everything is laid out on tables in her garage and up and down the driveway. She had a huge amount of stuff and we were so busy that I am quite exhausted today!! I am happy to say that all of the work was worthwhile as she made almost $2,400!!
    Your plants look terrific! We are getting a light rain today but we could really use a good soaking as it is too dry here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were supposed to be yard/garage sales in Son's village but our sudden very hot weather had put people off - I looked at two I found and came home!

      Delete
  18. By the way, about your header, I am so glad I don't live in the world where I have to dress in so many clothes to sit and read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your header is so pretty! I assume it's a page in a book? I hope you found some wonderful things this week-end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header was a postcard. Joan above has given the details in a comment

      Delete
  20. You greenhouse is looking wonderful. We have the same watering can. I bought a second waterbut yesterday. Not to collect rain water as I live in a thatch but to have at the end of the cottage away from the outside tap. So much easier to fill the waterbut once a week or so than having to drag the hose pipe along the patio. Twice a day.

    ReplyDelete