Tuesday 27 June 2023

Wanderers In The New Forest

 Wanderers in the New Forest by Juliette De Baïracli Levy was originally published in 1958. This new edition is published by Little Toller Books in their Nature Classics series.




She was born in Manchester in 1912 and went on to become one of the first herbalists to promote holistic veterinary medicine. After studying at universities in Manchester and Liverpool she left England to study herbal medicine in Europe, Turkey, North Africa, Palestine and Greece. Living with farmers and livestock breeders to study the animals, she was specially keen to learn Romani ways of natural animal medicines in all these countries.

Wanderers in The New Forest is one of several books she published and this tells the story of her three years living with her two small children in a small basic cottage in the New Forest in Hampshire.



They lived a very simple life, swimming regularly in a forest pool, drawing water from the Abbots Well and foraging for fruit and fungi. She made a garden and grew much of her own fruit and vegetables which they ate raw most of the time. Her friends were the Romany people and the locals who ran their ponies in the forest and kept their animals in the old ways.


Her book 'Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable' was reprinted many times but her other books about her life in Spain, New York and Galilee and of travelling with the Gypsies were only reprinted in the US.

She died in Switzerland in 2009.

Coincidentally I discovered that this week on the Greek Island where she lived there are people taking part in a 'Herbal Medicine Tour' in her honour run by a Greek Herbalist. Details HERE.

Back Tomorrow
Sue







22 comments:

  1. What an amazing women. Obviously ahead of her time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lived a life that was so simple, it would be difficult to do now

      Delete
  2. I was born in the New Forest and am going back there for a wedding so this is a coincidence!! Sadly I will never be able to move back as property prices are ridiculous as most the cottages have been nought by wealthy Londoners as holiday homes :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same for many of the coastal villages here - so many second homes and holiday lets - very sad

      Delete
  3. Having grown up in So'ton I know the Forest well and miss it. I bought my copy of this book back around the late 70s I suspect and still have it. I did have Handbook for Home and Stable too but sold that one. Have you been to the New Forest Sue? Perhaps you can have a day there with the family when you are on your way/back to/from the Isle of Wight?

    She certainly lived a very simple life - I remember her writing about when her Afghan Hound was so ill, but she managed to cure it. She made 97 too - a very full life, well-lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've camped and caravanned a few times in the New Forest but don't know it well. It always seems very busy when I've been there

      Delete
  4. Absolutely fascinating, and good to read about someone who did not live a conventional life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good read of a way of life that wouldn't be possible now

      Delete
  5. What an amazing woman , she must have been quite a character.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very unusual woman I think - even for the 50's

      Delete
  6. I wonder if she wrote Children of the New Forest? The children's programs on BBC used to go on and on about it. It's only through watching Atomic Shrimp on YouTube recently that I've found out anything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now I've looked it up and see that it's quite different, earlier, based on the civil war era. You triggered a bit of learning over breakfast today, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you looked it up for todays history lesson!!

      Delete
  8. Gosh, Sue, it makes me realize how spoiled I am with all my technology and appliances and groceries and conveniences. I wouldn't survive like that in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She was a fascinating and accomplished woman. Herbal medicine has become popular in some circles today. Many pharmaceutical drugs are made from herbs and plants. Remarkably, she was very much ahead of her time. The New Forest during her time must have been blissfully quiet among the trees and woodlands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like the perfect book to get for my Mum's upcoming birthday. Thanks for the inspiration! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get back to the Greek Islands and hunt butterflies there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just amazing. I need to look for those books. I wonder if I can find them here in Canada.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a fascinating book, and one that I've not got ... yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like a lot of the Little Toller books I think

      Delete