Saturday 17 June 2023

Another Saturday and a Plea

Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday and apologies for not replying or commenting anywhere either. 
 
What a difference a week makes to life when the cold wind went away from us in the East last weekend and we had a week of sunshine and warmth instead. The world suddenly seems a better place! Although looking at the forecast for next week seems we will be cloudy....what a shame ....perhaps they are wrong.......although we do need rain.

Yesterday, greatly excited, I rushed in for my camera to try for a photo of this.......
A Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Only my second ever sighting. I took eight photos but this was the only one giving any sort of idea of why I was so excited to get a photo.

Summer visitor, breeding regularly in the UK but not so easy to spot and very hard to photograph.

It was a 'bit' warm at the exercise group - goodness knows what it would have been like if our group had been running during last summers extra hot heat wave -  might have been a bit much even for our most energetic 80 year olds! I detoured on my way home to steal a few strawberries from BiL's garden - I did have permission and there were plenty- I'll be back for more soon as he tends to leave them too long.   

This week I started shredding my way through all our old tax self-assessment stuff from the smallholding and campsite. Never had an electric shredder before - what fun it is! Years ago I owned a small manual shredder but mucked it up shredding some foiled paper to make shred for the Christmas hampers. On the smallholding with two fires to light indoors and Col's love of bonfires  it was easy to burn unwanted paperwork. Not possible here in a village.

Instead of galivanting around this week I've been at home more (mainly because son borrowed the car for two days). Had time to make tomato and herb rolls, orange and ginger marmalade, peanut biscuits plus cheese straws to swap for the strawberries from BiL. And to sew badges on Youngest Granddaughters Rainbows zip hoodie (Rainbows are the 4-7 year old version of Brownies and Guides).
 
The tomatoes have been tied up and this is my first cucumber from the greenhouse.


Orange and ginger marmalade made with a tin of the prepared oranges plus some finely chopped pieces of stem ginger-in-syrup and some ground ginger.


And the plea...............

Lots of bloggers have my blog in their reading list on the side of the blog - thank you everyone. But some are still down as "The Cottage at the End of  A  Lane" and it's more than 2 years since I moved. If you still have this, please - when you have a spare minute - could you go into Layout and then the Blog List gadget edit function and take out " The Cottage at the end of a Lane" and then add it back by copying the title again and it should then come up as " My Quiet Life in Suffolk".   Many Thanks. But if you don't have time or can't be bothered or it won't work - no problem.

Hope you all have a good weekend
I shall be back Monday
Sue

44 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Sue…I’ve been meaning to change it for a while now. Job done✔️
    Oh and I’ve been meaning to say how much I like your new header. A room with a view plus a book to read…old fashioned luxury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      The header is a photo of a postcard that I'd had around for ages

      Delete
  2. Done. Changed the title heading on my blog. Sewing on badges, my grand daughter is in charge of Beavers in her scout group, so I have the same problem of sewing on badges - she likes collecting them, wonder if you could not just glue them on with fabric glue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to google where to put them as Cub Scouts had special places for all badges but it seemed not to matter for Rainbows so I hope she approves.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen a hummingbird hawk-moth - I live in hope.
    You've had a very busy, productive time at home - your kitchen must have smelt wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One very hot summer at the smallholding was my one and only previous sighting. I moved very fast to get my camera!

      Delete
  4. Cracking photo of the Hawkmoth, Sue, cracking photo indeed!!! only ever seen one once. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll send it in for the Country file calendar!

      Delete
  5. I use all our shredded paper in my compost, but not the shiny pages like in magazines. Love your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photo Sue. Your reward for being at home. We are seeing more hawk moths round here too, but none so far this year. Great excitement last night as we came home from an evening out and had a wander around the meadow and our female glow worm is back! I was feeling a bit deflated about the garden this week - the heat, the sharing of crops with the animals - but that cheered me up no end and makes me feel I should just let the garden rewild itself! Please take a photo of your BiL’s strawberry patch if you can. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caught the moth by luck as I happened to look around the corner of the house and dashed for the camera

      Delete
  7. Amazing photo and well done on having the patience to snap it. I have spells of shredding up old paperwork but we have to put it in the black bin as it’s not suitable for recycling in our local authority. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't stay still at all so I kept missing!

      Delete
  8. I've just tried to change as you ask but it doesn't seem to have 'taken' which is annoying - I'll try again later. Sorry.

    Fab photo of the moth - absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry if it doesn't work .

      Delete
    2. I had this problem as well Joy, I had to redo it altering the url/name choice on the drop down box. It was picking up the new link but dropping Sue down to the bottom of the list with other blogs that had no updates.

      Delete
  9. Well it could be worse what they call you Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine already shows you as My Quiet ... so no change needed. we have a similar moth here I've always called a hummingbird moth. Though come to think of it haven't seen one here in NH but there were many in MD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all sorts of hawk-moths here - difficult to photograph this one

      Delete
  11. A very productive week with your Marmalade making. Envious of your first cucumber - mine was bought in, I lost one of the pair and the other is still climbing and thinking about flowering! Well done actually getting a photo of the Hummingbird Hawkmoth in flight - they are so QUICK. Have changed your blog name on my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seem to have been cooking all week!
      I thought if I took enough photos one might be OK -
      Thank you for changing the name

      Delete
  12. Wow, my cucumbers have a bit of catching up to do, they are about 2 cm long! I'm making another batch of rhubarb and ginger jam today, despite the recent heatwave our rhubarb continues to do well. You can't beat homemade preserves, and those tins of prepared oranges are brilliant.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greenhouse cucumbers are always early but they stop producing earlier too whatever I do.

      Delete
  13. The hummingbird hawkmoths are a favorite and we see them pretty often. I love them because unlike butterflies and hummingbirds, they stay long enough for pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good to see them often - they are fascinating to watch

      Delete
  14. That's a fabulous photo of the Hawkmoth, I've never seen one but live in hope! Despite living on the edge of the countryside I've been pleasantly surprised by the variety of animals and birds caught on the security camera. We often have footage of a local fox, a badger, and then last night there was a muntjack deer. We're hoping for many more insects too now that our garden is developing.
    I love the new header Sue 👍

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great photograph. And thank you for the blog update reminder. I hadn't realised how many had stopped blogging since the last time I amended my list. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people no longer blog- which is sad.
      And even worse is when someone has died - Deleting their blog seems so final

      Delete
  16. That is an amazing photo of the hummingbird. They move very quickly and getting a photo is quite something. You've done lots of cooking and will be well stocked. The first cucumber looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a hummingbird but a moth that moves like one .
      Nice to have my first greenhouse 'harvest'

      Delete
  17. What a gorgeous picture of the hummingbird moth. We used to have the caterpillars in our yard, but since we removed the Virginia Creeper they are no longer around. I loved seeing the moths as I was weeding the flowerbeds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Changed it :-) Gorgeous photo of the moth, I'd never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I just happened to look round the corner of the house and spotted it - thought it would be gone by the time I got there with the camera. Very Lucky

      Delete
  19. Gallivanting! Fabulous word 😂

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice hummingbird flying to your flowers that are lovely! I am on your current blog. We finally got some rain and some on Monday. It was down pouring rain when we were in church during the sermon. I hope to get some jam made soon as I bought two Sure Jell pectin for jams. I have some strawberries in the freezer I need to use soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Next year, you should enter THIS competition! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-65876963

    ReplyDelete
  22. My sidebar is updated, sorry I hadn't noticed this for so long! We go through at least one shredder a year for our company shredding, it's a good job we never have to shred foil. :-)

    ReplyDelete