Wednesday 4 September 2024

Garden And Meals Since Returning from Holiday

 Came home from holiday on the 23rd August to a very overgrown garden -in just a week - with lots of things finished. I cleared off 8 small aubergines - the biggest about 3 inches long and the last of the runner beans. Just a few tomatoes left now but cucumbers all finished  The aubergines sliced and fried plus cooked pasta and a sauce made simply with tomato puree, boiling water and minced garlic from a jar and then all layered up with grated cheese made me two meals.

There were no more peppers to cut as I'd sliced and frozen all that were there before my holiday but a bowl of small tomatoes were brought indoors before I cleared all but one of the plants out.

Then I popped over to BiL's for some beetroot - I'd given him a packet of beetroot seeds so he could grow a few extra for me - and he gave me a sweetcorn cob (mine are a few weeks behind although I have had one now) and a cucumber as his greenhouse did far better than mine - so I'm blaming the compost.

 I used one large beet for roasting, it was peeled and cut into chunks and went in the oven with potatoes and carrots and  with one sausage made into a toad in the hole. I'd saved and frozen a rolled out  scrap of pastry left from making a quiche a few weeks ago, this was turned into sausage rolls, with another sausage and eaten with the rest of the roast veg. the next day.
Other meals have been my home made batch cooked from the freezer - Thai red fish curry, spinach and ricotta lasagne, aubergine and tomato sauce over pasta and another day I had a warm mackerel pasta salad. 
As a couple of the leeks had run to seed already although still small I thought I'd better start eating them and used two as fritters. Plenty more for later which had recovered from next-door-neighbour's cat trying to dig them up earlier.

Lurking among the courgette leaves were 6 marrows so I put 5 of them out the front with a 'help yourself note' and they soon went. One remaining came into the kitchen to make Marrow, Apricot and Ginger jam. I was going to do the jam last Thursday but forgot to put the apricots in to soak on Wednesday night, so I left them out right ready to soak overnight to use on Friday but forgot again -Duh! Finally got them soaking Friday night and the jam made on Saturday. Six jars made, this jam is a good replacement for marmalade.

Despite being covered and completely protected from birds and butterflies, I came home to find the three kale plants were just skeletons - and I'd put slug pellets inside the cage too. The slugs must have feasted on the kale before dying!
 This is the third year winter 'greens' have been a complete fail - I've learned my lesson - not trying again. At least I have more than one small butternut squash this year. They got going late so I hope we don't get early frosts and have plenty more sun. I'm watering them a lot now to try and fatten up the few small ones. Fingers crossed for fine weather for them to ripen for storage.



There are a few  this size and smaller


Just one proper sized butternut


The raspberries that were here when I moved in are doing their thing - appearing at an odd time of year - late for summer but early for Autumn. They've given me 3 bowls full to eat since I came home.

I was down to just half a loaf of bread in the freezer so the bread maker has been on a few times since returning from holiday for a 50/50 white and wholemeal, a 50/50 white and granary and an all white loaf. They are cut in half and frozen, so I'm re-stocked. Also made a Focaccia loaf which I cut into chunks before freezing.

There are lots of the big plum tomatoes in the freezer - ready skinned -  to make my Red Hot Relish sometime and that will be all I'll do this year. I'm not doing Christmas Hampers for anyone this year so no need to make other things.

I don't seem to have much to write about at the moment so have dropped down to 4 posts a week rather than 6 - so apologies if you look for me everyday!  I'll see how it goes.

Back Soon
Sue


31 comments:

  1. I don’t know how you manage 6 posts a week, I live on my own and I would struggle with 4, it’s mostly the same every week, church, dog walks, family care and books, that’s it. My tomatoes are still ripening but they are all I shall grow next year and only 4 plants, not 14. The veg have been a disaster this year and with the costs of seed and compost I cannot justify it. I was going to plant overwintering onions and shallots but they are too expensive, I don’t think veg are worth it for one person. Have just read Shy Creatures by Clare Chambers, can highly recommend, have loved all her books. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been doing 6 posts a week for years but I'm repeating myself far too often!
      4 a week will be calmer

      Delete
  2. Considering how poor veg growing in general has been this year you've had a healthy diet eating yours lately, the raspberries sound great too. Our runner beans failed completely but we've had a few ( a very few ) courgettes. I agree with Sarah about the cost of seed, compost etc but I have missed the flavour of homegrown this year.
    Your butternut look good. Four posts a week sounds good to me, better that than you get fed up with it and don't post at all, I appreciate your blog very much. From years ago when me and OH did a blog I remember the commitment it took.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep trying to grow a few things of my own as long as I'm physically able - even though it's very frustrating here and the slugs are huge!
      Is you blog still around to be read?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if it's still accessible Sue - I'll find out and let you know
      Alison x

      Delete
  3. Well someone hasn't stopped! You'll need another holiday.
    Someone said slugs are almost impossible as they will burrow underground, don't know if it's true or not.
    Have you ever tried Purple Sprouting Broccoli? It kept us in veg all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it too late to plant PSB? I've got an empty space where the runner bean pyramid stood, that would do nicely...

      Delete
    2. If you were to plant PSB now you would be eating it in late Spring next year. For something faster you could plant turnips now for harvest in winter. Autumn planting is normally for next Spring.

      Delete
    3. If you got plants from somewhere as Rachel says you might be OK for spring depends on the winter weather. Too late for sowing now though I should think, although there's no harm in trying - lots of protection needed - no good me trying it here

      Delete
  4. What a busy time you have had since you came home dealing with the garden produce. I cut back some overgrown stuff in the garden yesterday ready for the garden bin being emptied soon. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got 3 Buddleias that have grown 8 foot again - they will fill the bin for months when I start cutting back

      Delete
  5. That is a lot from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have certainly gotten a lot of meals out of your garden, Sue. It's a lot of work, but you do seem to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love growing my own food even on such a small scale is good

      Delete
  7. Talking to someone who's been growing her own for over 50 years, it's been a bad year all round. Many seeds just didn't germinate and then rain and sun came at the wrong times. She's quite dispirited, but no doubt she'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The early summer was so slow to get going and then wet and then hot. Every year is different and thank goodness there is always next year to try again

      Delete
  8. Local schools back tomorrow so soon the weather should improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schools back today here - Middle Grandson's first day at school!

      Delete
  9. Most of our home grown stuff here in our new garden has been very late and not very productive - with the exception of the courgettes! We got no strawberries at all from our new plants. The leeks and tomatoes are now looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My earlier leeks are running to seed already and hardly big enough to eat yet. You did well to get going with your new garden so quickly

      Delete
  10. The jam sounds good. I have two leeks lurking in the fridge and was wondering what else I could do with them - fritters is a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next recipe for them will be to blanch, wrap in ham and pour cheese sauce over the top and then bake - delicious

      Delete
    2. Maxine aka mikemax5 September 2024 at 06:15

      The jam does sound delicious! Would you please share the recipe

      Delete
    3. The recipe is on the separate recipe page, it's just the 2nd on the list

      Delete
  11. Your garden is productive. Even with weather, slug and cat challenges, you have a very good harvest.
    Like you, I prepare my own meals. Today I made a pasta sauce with chunks of beef, red and green peppers, onions, herbs and a splash of red wine. It cooked all day and made a nice meal with Italian bread and salads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been busy using your garden produce. I have to say, it wouldn't take long for me to use MINE up! I've got a few beefsteak tomatoes out there ripening though the plants are browning now and I need to have a sort out. Very few runner beans this year, even fewer purple French beans, and about 5 courgettes. Ah well . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since writing this I discovered two more large Butternuts hiding in the leaves - so as long as they store well I'll be looking for more recipes other than veg curries!

      Delete
  13. I'm impressed with your butternut squash, that is going to be a beauty. It's something that I never managed to grow in the shorter season we had in north Wales, although I kept trying. It's been the strangest year for growing vegetables for a lot of people this year, me definitely included. I'm seriously down-scaling yet again next year. At this rate I'll be growing in just a plant pot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since found another large butternut lurking - squashed between the wooden bed edge and the heating oil tank. Not sure how I shall prise it out as its grown to fill the gap!

      Delete
  14. My goodness, you have been busy since getting home. Hope your butternut squash grow enough so you can store them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete