Wednesday 11 September 2024

A Picture For the Art Wall, Books and Birthday Cards

 Found this little print at the Stonham Barns car boot sale on Bank Holiday Sunday.  


It was disgustingly dusty and dirty with thunder flies under the glass but as I seem to have two or three duck/geese/swan pictures on the wall it will make a nice addition. I took it apart and gave the glass a good clean. The signature says Penny Cox and the title is 'Coming Out To Play George'. I looked on line and there are several pictures of her other work - and more of George, but mostly for sale in the US. I'm not sure that this is a genuine print from the artist as the 'George' looks to have been added later. But no matter - it fits in well. £2 spent.
Haven't got it on the wall yet - painting to do first.

Picked up 4 more greetings cards for future for 10p each - handy.



I then went a mile or so down the road to Crowfield Church where they have a Flower Festival and fundraising stalls every August BH weekend. It's something I usually visit because of the good second-hand book stall. It's had a mention on the blog every year.

There was a service in the church so I didn't take photos of the flower festival this year but I found 3 books for 50p each that looked interesting, one might be a bit too cosy crime but Apple Tree Cottage was the name we gave the house we completely renovated back in the early 1980's so I had to buy it!


Back Soon 
Sue





29 comments:

  1. What a lovely print. Glad you found some books at the church book sale too. You've not broken the bank :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have enough to read until the library van comes!

      Delete
  2. I like the print. You have an eye for a bargain, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture frame and glass were really dirty but easy enough to clean up

      Delete
  3. I think it IS genuine, I looked at her stuff online . I agree that the "George" looks a bit different (the loop on the G doesn't match the other G and Y loops) but on her other George the Goose prints she writes George in that loopy style. I think you have a bargain there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked on line again and hope you are right - more on ebay now but not this one

      Delete
  4. Well done on seeing past the grime and grubby glass! Until I read your words there was no way I saw that as George!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several prints with George online on ebay - on this one it seems to be written with a different pencil

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely print. Definitely a picture for the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while - the 'art wall' is my last one to paint! - going to take me weeks

      Delete
  6. That's a bargain print at £2. Actually looking at some of her other work it's the C of coming that appears wrong, maybe she gets someone else to write on prints for her, some do when they are prolific. In any case it's a picture well worth having. You got a trio of interesting sounding books there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The print will fit in well with my other small things on the 'art wall' when I finish painting.

      Delete
  7. Well done on your finds!
    Thank you for your comment on my blog!
    I did check the members on my old college site but there doesn’t appear to be an Alison Smith (Self) on the members list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a faint hope and would have been a coincidence if she had been there at the same time!

      Delete
  8. I wonder why some artists find it so difficult to write legibly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they are in a hurry and signing lots of prints at the same time!

      Delete
  9. Some good buys there, especially the pretty print.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a delightful day, well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I was pleased to spot it at the car-boot sale - quite unusual

      Delete
    2. Yes, the detail is amazing!

      Delete
  12. I've just noticed your lovely header photograph. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed the header specially for Autumn - from my following a tree photos

      Delete
  13. I love the print. The fine detail in the print is outstanding. The books and cards all make good finds also. Well done Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to have done all sorts of animals in prints - several cat ones on ebay

      Delete
  14. The geese picture is so cute, well worth cleaning up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That picture is really charming. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that little picture. I was looking at some of her other works. It appears that she works in conjunction with Brush Art Gallery in Vermont. Her pictures are very detailed, with amazing 'texture' to them. Good eye, Sue.

    What on earth is a thunder fly? Off to google.

    ReplyDelete