Thursday 12 September 2024

New Floor + Painting Diary Day 1

 When I painted the big living room at Clay Cottage during July 2017 I charted my progress on the blog (very boring for readers but kept me on track!) - so here we go again - you'll love hearing about it all!!

 So I've  now started the living /dining room here at the bungalow - been wanting to get rid of the grey for 3 years but no way to do it while I still had carpet and couldn't move the furniture. 

I bought some felt 'slider' mat things to go under the furniture so that I can move things on the new hardwood flooring which was done Tuesday by two cheerful blokes who were happy that I'd emptied everything so they could do half the room at the time. They put the felt mats under the furniture for me.


My lovely new flooring and the cupboard with the felt sliders

Sanding, hoovering washing down, settee covered and  everything in the middle of the room


Started by sanding down the short wall with the door to the hall, using sand paper round a block of wood, hoovered up the dust and washed down the wall. Then I had to rest for an hour! 

So I went and found the electric sander- and looked at the old tatty sanding sheet on it, cut some sandpaper to fit  and did ¾ of the long wall right up to the wood-burner, had lunch and then finished that wall. The electric sander has a thing that is supposed to collect the dust but with my cut down sandpaper it didn't - never mind -it's still easier on the shoulder - although just as hard on the wrist. Hoovered up again and washed down and didn't feel so exhausted. Decided that was enough for one day.

Today I'm going to get some proper sanding sheets for the sander and then I have to work out how to get the curtains off the curtain rail - it was blinkin' hard work getting the rail fixed and curtains up when I moved in - will be the same in reverse I reckon, at least there's hardly any painting to be done on the window wall and wall #4 has the patio doors in it but heavens knows how I paint behind the weird radiator......when I get to it.

Back Soon
Sue




18 comments:

  1. I don't mind watching your paint dry! Just as long as I don't have to do the actual work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent exercise too Sue! I heard that Mary Berry regularly plays tennis - arms above head, leaning down to pick up ball, using core strength - you're doing all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bite at a time and I'll get there - and more core strength would be good

      Delete
  3. It good to note the things happening in your life, so decorating should be there, we recently purchased silicon cups/socks to pop over our chair and table legs (Mr Amazon), the felt pads kept falling off, so far the socks are working well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These felt pads are just for moving the furniture - I'm table and chair- less at the moment but may need something for their feet when I get a new or secondhand table etc

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of work. Do you listen to the radio or an audio book as you work?
    The floor looks very smart, very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radio usually. I'm pleased with the flooring - better than the awful carpet

      Delete
  5. Your new floor looks very good. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be lovely and very satisfying . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The floor is great. I so admire your efforts - it'll soon be done and then you can sit down with feet up and enjoy the New Look.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feet up in between as well as at the end I think!

      Delete
  8. Your new wood flooring looks outstanding. Sanding the walls is a big job. I remember the fine dust that seemed to magically find a way to the kitchen. In addition to the felt for the furniture legs, I found plastic disks made for helping to slide furniture over floors. The disks stayed attached on larger pieces of furniture and the felt was fine for smaller pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanding the walls is the worse job, still lots to do

      Delete
  9. And so the task begins! Sanding was always one of my least favourite jobs - I much preferred to do the painting. Hubby was useless at painting but fantastic putting up wallpaper, which I hated, so we used to make a good team when doing up a room. Memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The prep work is the hardest of all isn't it, and when you've finished it everything looks worse than when you began. Roll on the painting, I don't mind watching your paint dry, it's far better than having to do any of my own. :-)

    We did the opposite at our Welsh house and covered the wooden flooring with carpet, it made the house so much cosier. Alan's house, apart from the very top floor is carpeted, but I have the large tiles that were already here and lots of rugs.

    ReplyDelete