Monday 9 September 2024

Library Book Photo etc.

 The Isle of Wight holiday clashed with the library van's August visit - a bit of bad planning there!

To fill in the gap I redirected a few books to pick up  in Stowmarket but the rest will be there for me when the van comes later this month.



I've already finished them! Coffin Island by Kate Ellis - it's another in her DI Wesley Peterson series set in Dartmouth Devon which she calls Tradmouth. Have to say it is very similar to all the others in the series. Always using a 'discovered' journal from the past mixed in with murders in the present. 

'Four French Holidays' is non-fiction, I borrowed it because of the link to  "Greengage Summer" by Rumer Godden which I read last month. It is also about three other authors and their books written about French holidays - Daphne Du Maurier, Stella Gibbons and Margery Sharp. The part about the background to Greengage summer was interesting but the rest wasn't so much because I'd not read the other three books . It didn't make me want to read them - not at the moment anyway.
On the top is another British Library Crime Classic - 'Tour De Force' by Christianna Brand - a popular author in BLCC's reprints and another good story- also set in a holiday destination.

Last week I also picked up this from Stowmarket, haven't had a good look at it yet but it's about people who live in places around the world that have diets that help long life and happiness.



The mobile library with my other reservations isn't due for nearly two weeks so I'll be reading from my shelves until then. Really I should say "reading from the spare bed!" as all my books are now off the living room shelves and laying on the double bed (and piled on the floor) in the spare room, ready for the flooring in the living/dining room being done tomorrow.

With the Paralympics finishing Summer of Sport 2024 is over - don't know what I shall do now. It's a long wait until the 31st January when Six Nations Rugby starts!

I suppose I'd better get on with painting the living room.

Back Soon
Sue

28 comments:

  1. I hope the painting isn't too arduous - or boring. Just think how lovely it will all look when everything's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be hard work and a long job and I know \I'm not going to enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. You're not a fan of the Lionesses, then Sue? If you've never enjoyed football - it's a very different game that the Lionesses play. Strong, disciplined, fair and played by very fit footballers (the men need to pull their socks up and learn how to play the game properly, not rely on falling over and crying!) Not that I'm biased . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taxes are high here, but there is a great smallish library only a five minute drive away to feed my reading obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely variety of books there. I'm hooked on Alison Weir books at the moment - currently reading the one about Katherine of Aragon.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read so many historical fiction in the 1970s and 80s that I went right off them

      Delete
  5. I have a stack of Elly Griffith's Magic Men Mystery series to read. I liked her Ruth Galloway series so I hope I like this one too.
    Best of luck with the redecorating! It will look lovely and new when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the Magic Men series - I have.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, you're a sportaholic. :-)

    I've been enjoying binge-watching recorded series and box sets while all this bl**dy sport has been on. I just finished watching 'We Hunt Together' last night, a brilliant series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen that series - I shall investigate - especially if it's a crime thing

      Delete
  7. Already suffering major withdrawal symptoms with no sport!
    Our City Council is requesting tenders for major alterations to our City Hall which include a new, larger library on the ground floor! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm catching up on some things I missed while away and when I was watching the Games

      Delete
  8. Interested in Stella Gibbons writing about a French holiday, as I have only come across Cold Comfort Farm from her in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was The Snow Woman - set partly in France

      Delete
  9. Nice books! I was pretty good while I was in England. I only bought a few fiction books though I must confess I bought some bird books from the charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love your library posts. I must read "Tour de Force." Great title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be about 6 books for me when the mobile comes - so another photo later this month

      Delete
  11. I hope the new flooring gets put down without any major issues. Everything will look so lovely once you have finished the painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fortunately, you have your own book supply to carry you until the library makes their delivery.
    I suspect you will love the new wood flooring when it is fully installed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday morning and they were here nice and early - it will look lovely

      Delete
  13. I'm thrilled our local library has re-opened!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! You can watch American football, both pro & college [university] games. Or not, I hate football.

    I enjoyed the Wesley Peterson, like a visit w old friends--well written, I thought. But now that you point it out the series is formulaic, isn't it---no real surprises. Do you read JD Robb [Nora Roberts]?--CRIME/ police procedurals in a slightly futuristic NYC. The series has maybe 50 books written over 25, 30 years, but in the series only 4 years has past--all those things like tablets , Apple watches, cell phones that were sci fi when the series started are commonplace now, an interesting quirk. I enjoy bec , again, a visit w ''old friends''.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There was a documentary on the five places where people live longest and healthiest and happiest. They mostly eat natural food and prepare it themselves, drink a bit of wine in moderation, and no ready-meals. They are fairly basic eaters. I think the documentary was on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete