Monday 23 September 2024

The September Garden Helps The Purse

 After cutting and giving away the six marrows that had appeared while I was away on holiday last month the courgette plants recovered and I've had 5 more altogether and the sweetcorn are finally giving me some small cobs. Also here is very last tomato from the greenhouse, no green ones to bring in this year - a really poor year. These all came into the kitchen last Thursday.



I harvested a few more beetroot from BiL's garden and took home a handful of windfall cooking apples that one of the Keep Moving Group had brought in.

A week or two ago I bought British Coxes Apples from Aldi and wished  I hadn't, they were nowhere near ready to eat and horrible sour. Picked far too early. So I tried the first of my Falstaff from the garden and they are delicious. Won't need to buy any  apples for at least 3 weeks.



Falstaff Apples from the garden

And finally I've been picking a bowl of raspberries every 2 or 3 days for a couple of weeks  from the late fruiting canes and one last runner bean!




It's handy that the weather is cooperating so far this month, we've had better weather than many parts of the country - lots of sunshine. The raspberries have almost finished and it will soon be the end of them if we get much rain. 


Back Tomorrow
Sue



4 comments:

  1. The corn cobs look very good indeed, even if small. Fresh corn on the cob does rather spoil you for canned, frozen, or even cobs from the produce department. Nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courgettes have an annoying habit of turning into marrows the moment your back is turned, don't they? Your produce all looks good - better than Aldi's, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my crops are finished now. Except the chard which continues to flourish

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can plant Japanes onions, spinach, garlic and spring cabbage now.

    ReplyDelete