Saturday 14 September 2024

This Week

 Proper Autumn weather now and when a frost got mentioned,  my Money Plant - which is the only house plant I manage to keep alive - has come indoors after it's summer holiday outside. It's looking very well considering how neglected it is most of the time, actually I think it ought to be re-potted but if I do that it won't fit into the pretty Portmeirion planter it lives in on the bathroom windowsill.

Lots of notes this week............

The flooring was done on Tuesday by two guys who didn't stop talking to each other all the time they were here - overheard such a lot about their families, friends and people they didn't get on with - much more than I wanted to know! They were working at the same time - thankfully - and didn't even take up my offers of coffee/tea etc - very unusual.

Had to re-think my plan for painting the living room. I really wanted to sand down and clean up the whole room all at once but then all the furniture would be in the middle of the room leaving me nowhere to move - and live. So two walls prepared and painted - only to find the Dulux Timeless isn't covering the grey very well. Two coats will be needed but I can't keep moving the plastic floor covering so will have to do second coat on the two walls before I get to the other half of the room. - Watching paint dry! Might take me a bit longer than I thought especially as my energy runs out after about 4 hours work. Oh well - I guess it doesn't really matter how long it takes.

Essex and Suffolk Water came and fitted me a smart water meter on Monday - replacing the one which was also quite smart  - but wasn't smart enough apparently, even though it was only fitted 2½ years ago.

I picked up a carrier bag with 3lb of cooking apples from last Sunday's car-boot sale for £1 but when I came to peel and chop the whole darn lot were full of codling moth maggot damage - UGH, only got a couple of small bags to put in the freezer. Shan't buy from that lady again. Her eggs are good though and apples and eggs were all I came home with. At our Keep Moving exercise group someone brought in a small box of windfall cooking apples and we all helped ourselves to a handful. I added a pear and made a crumble which was a nice treat for 4 days. I hope they bring some more next week.

If there was a prize for worst ad on TV at the moment it would have to go to  The Pure Cremation company ad with a fat man in a bath - it's quite revolting!

I've been watching some of the US crime series on 5USA ever since I found and watched all of NCIS but hadn't watched Blue Bloods because of Tom Selleck's moustache! Anyway I finally got round to watching despite the facial hair - but someone please explain to me how they can get away with the bloke playing T.S's father being only 5 years older than TS himself. Of course if they had to find an actor the right age he would need to be 105!

Strictly Come Dancing starts tonight - that's my Saturday nights sorted from now until Christmas.

I'll be getting on with the living room this weekend, visiting youngest daughter and maybe a car-boot sale early. It is Heritage Open Days weekend but nothing I really want to visit without travelling halfway across the County - so I probably won't bother this year.

Back Monday, when we will be into the second half of September............already!
Sue


36 comments:

  1. I just discovered "The Chelsea Detective" on the 'U' channel. Somehow I must have missed that when it first came out. Quite enjoying it - and it's filmed in some lovely parts of London '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one I don't know. I shall investigate the U channel - I forget it's there.
      I just watched something called Chasing Shadows from ITV mid 2000's - weirdly only 4 episodes and final one left on a cliff hanger.

      Delete
  2. Money plant cuttings are to take. I have 5 young plants in the polytunnel to take indoors. Rain always follows a frost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does begin to feel very autumnal - especially the early mornings Us chaps can hold our own in the chattering department when we want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thin layer of ice in the car windscreen at 7.15 this morning - chilly!

      Delete
  4. You didn't mention if the workmen had a radio. Nothing worse than a radio blaring someone else's choice of music! I'd take the inane chatter over that.
    The Strictly trailers look a tad to pastel for my taste, we'll wait and see.
    It's so cold now I might be tempted with the heating. Winter Fuel Allowance or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully no loud radio. One of them had his phone playing music but only when they had nearly finished - when they had run out of things to talk about perhaps!

      Delete
  5. My money plant is now over 4 feet tall and just as wide. It's on casters so that I can move it around my conservatory. In the spring it is covered with white 'flowers' although I think this is unusual. Cuttings are very easy to take. You could then use a smaller one for your pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey that's a tall money plant. I don't love house plants enough to want more.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the painting. It's annoying when the coverage isn't good.
    We've had a fire for the last couple of days. It's cold, but so far not frosty. We're quite sheltered here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on doing the painting yourself-my big problem now is moving the furniture! Timeless is a lovely neutral colour for the walls and my daughter’s open plan living room/staircase has been painted thus colour over and over again. It’s now really cold in mornings and evenings so guess the heating will need to be used soon. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heating has been on a couple of mornings and evenings this week - very chilly - good for painting indoors but I still got too hot

      Delete
  8. Nooo! The VERY worst advert is the G-tech cordless advert, with a dog. Take a look! But I know what you mean regarding the other one. You are incredible doing your own decorating. I gave up that activity a few years ago - I don't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not fond of painting but spent a fortune on the flooring so I thought I'd better do it myself

      Delete
  9. I don't personally associate an Arctic airstream being a typical sign of Autumn and am pleased to say that it should shift next week and we go back to normal Autumn days again. Arctic air in September is very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thin layer of ice on car windscreen at 7.15 this morning!

      Delete
  10. So agree with you about the Pure Cremation ad! And coming a close second the ad with the dog - G tech - that Julia mentioned in her comment.
    You've had a busy week, and I'm glad you're pacing yourself reference the painting, Rome wasn't built in a day 😀
    Thank goodness for Strictly, despite all the bad press!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of ads that do nothing to persuade me to buy their product - more likely to put me off

      Delete
  11. I agree with the ads you've mentioned but personally the one that drives me up the wall is the Irish lady who always seems to be doing a laundry wash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't think what one that is ? Oh is it the lady wearing white with children wearing white and painting!

      Delete
  12. I guess if Leo Correl looks old enough to be believable as Tom Selleck's father, then it really doesn't matter what his real age is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The annoying irish woman doing her laundry is model Vogue Williams and was in the news a while ago for being rude on a flight because someone wouldn't swap seats to accommodate her and her family.
    I wish I didn't accumulate useless facts from the news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't really watch any adverts, but now you have me intrigued ... a fat man in a bath advertising Pure Cremations! It might have been enough to put my Mum off buying one, or maybe not. It's very hard NOT to listen into workman's conversations when they go on and on isn't it, at least they were chatting and working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to watch adverts but they seem to appear and be annoying

      Delete
  15. Hopefully with two coats of paint your walls will be perfectly covered and uniform in color. Having new floors and paint color will be very lovely.
    I have a philodendron plant that gets very big and I take my scissors and trim it all around. It is perfect for 4-6 months and then needs another trim. Expert gardeners might say it should be repotted or divided in two plants, but my trimming seems to work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to the conclusion that I need painting lessons - 2 walls done but don't look too closely - I shall have to cover it with pictures - maybe a big wall hanging!

      Delete
  16. Yes, hard to believe we are already half way through September. Before you know it, you will be back into summer and we will be finishing ours!
    Glad to hear your flooring is now in place. And thank goodness for pictures to hide those funny patches on the wall LOL. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A long winter to come first - sadly - I wonder sometimes why we don't all move to somewhere warmer and dryer!

      Delete
  17. I find it quite scary how fast September is pssing and also that there's talk of a frost. We haven't had one yet but I think we've been close.
    A shame about the apples - not nice to process at all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Monday's post in drafts and realised it would be the 16th - half past September

      Delete
  18. I tried to find the man in the bath advertisement, no luck, but your blog showed up in the top Google results.

    ReplyDelete