Saturday 18 August 2018

Last Week......Gardening, Painting and Various Other Stuff.

My runner bean wigwam has collapsed. It leaned a bit and I tried to push the canes back in the ground but no good, next windy spell and over it went, pulling out several of the plants but as there were virtually no beans it doesn't really matter. Masses of leaves but the flowers didn't set. I think I had 4 meals from them (plus the ones that won me a first prize at the produce show!). Must get the canes further in the ground next year.

Had to do the first lot of grass cutting for months, two compost bins are full now and closed off until next year and I need to empty one small one from last year to spread on the cut flower bed ready for planting out the Alstromeria plants.I have to decide what to put in the two quarters that had annuals in this year. I'm thinking gladioli and hollyhocks.
I've edged round the oval 'rose' bed, it has other things in it too and  the cyclamen are all out, purple and white.......very pretty, never had them anywhere I've lived before.

I got the bedroom ceiling  painted and they take the big ugly shower cubical out next week. Had a  brainwave and change of plans the other week. I decided NOT to put a small bath in the bedroom when the  shower cubical comes out. It wasn't something I really wanted to do but a four bedroom house with just a shower didn't seem feasible when it comes to selling. So new plan...........put a small bath in the downstairs loo/utility where the washing machine is. The small basin with cupboard beneath will be changed for a pedestal and that will make enough width to fit a 700mm bath - which is the narrowest there is. No need to tell people moving in that it's actually too cold to bathe in there despite the radiator! I don't know why I didn't think of it before.
The washing machine will go in the porch-way bit beside the little freezer. I'll have to find somewhere for the cupboard that currently stands there. It's where I store jars of jam/chutney etc but I'm not making anymore jam or chutney (apart from the Red Hot Relish) this year, so if I give lots of last years away I should be able to empty the cupboard.
Must get on with painting the bedroom walls once the shower is out as a new carpet has been ordered and date fixed for laying it.

The village with Big WI has a crafting group. Just one morning a month but I thought I'd go and have a look as I've not done any cross stitch for months (get sidetracked by the lap top when I sit down here) and I thought  a morning out to do crafts would actually get some done. Some of the ladies who go to this are WI members and several others go too, all older than me, but they sit and craft and natter. So I can sit and craft and listen to the gossip...........mostly about people I don't know - luckily! Coffee and biscuits included in the £10 (half year fee) so not extravagant.


I usually glance in the mini-pond  to say hello to the frogs whenever  I walk by and this is the most frogs I've seen ....................I counted 10! It's a teeny pond but obviously useful when all the ditches are dry.


Had an idea for a quick meal for one. ...........soften a thinly sliced courgette and half an onion in a bowl in the microwave and meanwhile cook one portion of spaghetti. Drain the spag and tip into the hot courgette and onion mix. Stir in a spoonful of pesto and mix everything together and then grate a little strong cheese on top. Eat out of the bowl to save washing up! This is probably not a revolutionary idea but Colin didn't like pesto so it's not something I could have used for a meal before.

Christmas cards are in the charity shops................already. I noticed them in two shops in Stowmarket and Christmas crafting stuff in The Works..........it's coming folks! I'm not doing hampers for sister and sister in law this year, not making chutneys or jams ...............not looking forward to Christmas much at all. Not looking forward to winter either...........but then I never do.


I don't often mention anything with a whiff of controversy (can't be arsed with the flak) but I read something recently that had me puzzled............................ The stand-up comedian and actor Jack Whitehall has been cast as a gay man in a film. He isn't gay. There has been an outcry among the gay community who say a gay actor should have been cast instead............................ Made me wonder if only people who have a broken leg can play someone with a broken leg in hospital dramas? And taking this thought further....therefore only a dead person can play a dead person in crime dramas!?

Thanks for comments yesterday.

Have a lovely weekend folks........................I need to get painting.
Back Monday
Sue

59 comments:

  1. If house programmes on tv are anything to go by, people do what they want to do when they buy houses, pull out almost new kitchens, knock down walls, you name it, they have the Kirsty Alsop vision, they do it. I have done nothing in this house on the grounds that the next people would pull it all out anyway! I'll let them decide as I am happy with it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to get out of the habit of doing up houses ready to sell after 38 years and 6 houses!

      Delete
  2. It's been a shocking year for runners. I've found exactly the same. Loads of flowers but very few pods. They really don't like too much heat but I am hoping mine will pick up a bit now. They're sending out more flowers so fingers crossed!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the canes in my wigwam were too upright, taking the whole thing apart will be a pain with it all in a heap! I had hoped to have beans going on into September, but there's always next year

      Delete
  3. I was surprised myself to see the Christmas cards in shops just the other day. I remember someone once told me they make them available so early for people posting overseas. Im not sure that's still the case. It just served to remind me how fast this month seems to be going. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly strange to see the cards in the charity shops in August but I don't need any because I get them in the January sales!

      Delete
  4. You are so ambitious! I got tired just reading your post. You are quite the do it lady. Keep on Keeping on.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep busy, stops me thinking about the future alone

      Delete
  5. My runners haven't done too badly, and the dark purple french beans did well, probably because I lugged water down to them daily. As for Xmas cards at this time of the year it is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how many people start buying cards in August?

      Delete
  6. You have been so busy!!.I sometimes get to the point where so much needs doing...that I dont want to do any of it,lol.I hadnt heard about the Jack Whitehall thing....but what about Daniel in Coro....hes a gay man in real life playing a straight guy!.Sometimes people just want something to be offended about!.I love your ideas for the house...but some people could be put off with a small bath?.A friend of mine was going to buy a place but the small bath in there,just wasnt big enough for her 6ft plus husband and son.Hope you have a lovely weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said small bath it's really just an ordinary one, full length but some are much wider than 700mm

      Delete
  7. It can only be a matter of time before the supermarkets have the tins of Roses, etc 'on offer' for christmas! They mentioned the same as you on 'The Last Leg' last night on CH4 re Jack Whitehall. We said the same as you, its called acting!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just returning from holiday in Oakham,Rutland.Tins of Roses etc on sale in a large supermarket there!

      Delete
    2. I usually watch The Last Leg but had to get up early to help at a car boot so didn't last night. I'm glad they agreed with me!

      Delete
  8. I've seen quite a lot of Christmas stuff, most shops have started their garden sales to make way for the festive stock. It's the silly season again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go and check out the big shops fro clearence sales.

      Delete
  9. My runner beans hardly set at all, the hot dry weather didn’t suit them.

    Can you imagine the outcry if gay men were banned from playing straight parts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving reading about your busy days :-)

    Good plan re the small bath. Having been through the hassle of selling a previous house (took 2 years) my thinking is make it easy for a buyer to think they won't have to do anything major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we never worried about what work needed doing on a house but most people are not prepared to have to pay out for work as soon as they move in

      Delete
  11. It’s good you are revising plans to futureproof the house, Sue, and I agree that a bath and shower are good in a 4 bed house. After the weeks of drought here, we seem to have rain every day. Ali, (comment above mine) has inspired me to declutter and clean my kitchen. Thanks to her there are boxes now waiting to be dispersed to the appropriate places and cupboards where you can see the contents. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a good clear out indoors but the workshop stuff is going to take me months to sort

      Delete
  12. The tins of Roses ARE in the shops already here in the West Midlands, seem them in Morrisons and in Tescos. Too much temptation too early!

    Re the acting 'drama.' Ridiculous. Best ever Romeo performance I've seen was from a gay actor. Best ever Swan Lake performance had black prima ballerina. And if only gay actors can play gay characters then presumably only straight actors can play straight characters?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never buy those big tins as I only like the green triangles!
      The gay actor thing is certainly strange idea

      Delete
  13. I have two runner bean plants in a gro bag and they are climbing up a yew tree - from here I can see the tree covered in red flowers and there are enough for my first boiling today. Shall not grow them again - too much of a chore watering. Thanks for pasta recipe I am going to try it for tea as I also have a gro bag courgette ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will still have beans through September.
      Hope you like the pasta thing. It's not very exciting but quick and easy

      Delete
  14. Surely the whole point of being an actor is, well, acting! There are plenty of straight people playing the part of gay people (the actor who plays Will in Will & Grace immediately springs to mind), and I'm sure the other way around as well, so I don't understand why there's such a hoohah over Jack Whitehall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it online somewhere - think it was one of the newspapers getting people stirred up.

      Delete
  15. The Range have a few Christmas craft bits in, but I think that's fair enough, it's always good to start crafty projects early.

    Love your courgette recipe. I tried something similar a couple of weeks ago, which I have written about and posted on the new blog. I had a few courgettes in the garden I needed to use, so searched for a recipe and found one that apparently came from Meghan Markle's now closed lifestyle blog. It turned out pretty well. Photographed like baby food, but tasted good. You'll see it next month when the blog is open, should you choose to visit.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend. Beautiful blustery and grey day today! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more of a chuck things together rather than a recipe but quick and easy.
      Let me know when your blog goes live.

      Delete
  16. Have done quite well on the allotment with cobra variety bean - a bit like a cross runner/french bean. Needed to water when heat was intense but not so thirsty as runner beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My climbing french bean wigwams stayed upright, I had lots but they didn't last well through the heat

      Delete
  17. I meant to say that I loved the frog photo.

    But I forgot! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 frogs seemed rather a crowd in such a small pond

      Delete
  18. I used to work in a Tesco next to a garage (so a small supermarket) and the Christmas stuff will definitely be coming in now - there are mince pies on the shelves from September and we started putting Easter stuff out the week between Christmas and New year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always puzzled by mince pies in the shops so early when their sell by date is way before Christmas

      Delete
  19. I saw the Christmas cards when I was over as well as calendars and planners for next year. I am certainly not that organised. The craft morning sounds fun. I wish I could find something like that (though I don't really like meeting new people) as when I sit down I find myself not picking up my crafty bits. I did pretty well while I was at Mum's, but finding it difficult to get back in the groove, so to speak. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit nervous about walking into the craft group but they all had plenty to say so I just stitched and listened!

      Delete
  20. You are AMAZING! Just painting a ceiling would be enough for me. Very nice plans for your home and garden.

    Christmas will be hard but your lovely grandchildren will brighten it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walls starting tomorrow and finishing next week I hope - two coats needed unfortunately

      Delete
  21. That froggy pond is wonderful, I can easily imagine all them getting competitive with their froggy-paddle, diving from the the high board, then the frog-talk as they lay out on the moss stone to rest.
    The craft group sounds like a great idea, wish we had one around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder what they are thinking when I'm looking down at them saying Hello Frogs and they are all looking back at me!

      Delete
  22. I bet it was the Daily Wail you saw the thing about non gay playing gay. Just the sort of rubbish they print instead of actual news with a balanced approach. You are doing great on all fronts. Love the frog pond, the one item I still have not got in the garden here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it in the Guardian three days ago. I believe it started on Twitter.

      Delete
  23. Even on this little Island Christmas cards and calendars are already on sale. I haven't noticed the tins of Roses yet though. The frog pond looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt we will soon be told how many shopping days there are 'til Christmas!

      Delete
  24. You have been a busy one this week. Sorry about the bean teepee and the lack of beans this year. For some reason our beans are producing like crazy.

    Your WI crafting group sounds like fun. Go and enjoy!

    I haven't seen frogs around here in quite awhile so I envy you the frogs in your pond.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always busy - too busy sometimes but it's the only way I can get through

      Delete
  25. You have been busy Sue.
    Love the frog pond. We only see frogs in our garden occasionally as we don't have a pond but I would like to find space for a small one.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only a huge flowerpot double lined with plastic sunk in the ground but the frogs love it.
      Didn't take long to do

      Delete
  26. Busy, busy, busy, wow you make me tired just reading about it all 🙂

    You pesto pasta meal sound just like my favourite meal, the only difference is that I slowly sauté the onion and courgette with some garlic in my small frying pan and then add the pesto, pasta and cheese. Which means of course that I have two pans AND a dish to wash up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sauted the veg first time then thought of microwaving to save on a pan. One of the trials of being alone is I have to do all the washing up and all the wiping up too so I do as little as possible!

      Delete
  27. We had your Corgette meal last night. It was delicious, definitely one to use again. I am always delighted to find new vegetarian recipes for our friends.
    My pet annoyance re food dates is the rare appearance of trifle sponges just before Christmas with “use by Dec 22nd”! It doesn't matter really because they last for months if sealed!!
    I like your brainwave re the bath. That will meet all situations. Might be useful for mucky children at the end of a long day outside too. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would suggest, Sue, just making the house comfortable and convenient for you is the priority. And then, if you decide to move at any time, only then to put in a bath somewhere - purchasers will always want to re-arrange things anyway, and if there is a water supply (which there is) in the small room in which you intend to put a bath (which you won't use as it's to cold in there), they could do that themselves. But if you really want to, then include a bath in the house.
    As for eating your spag with pesto and courgette out of the bowl ... dear girl, lay a table with your prettiest things, put out a napkin and condiments, and a cut glass drinking glass. I know you're on your own, and life is difficult at times, but please, please, treat yourself nicely, you're worth it! None of this eating out of the bowl to save washing up, ha ha!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm all for saving on the washing-up; it's the job I hate (though strangely, once I start, it doesn't seem to take long. I used to crave a dishwasher, but having heard horror stories about them catching fire spontaneously, I no longer fancy one.
    As for Jack . . I have always wondered if he is gay, anyway! His mannerisms seem to suggest that he is. What a pointless complaint, though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are such a hard worker and get a lot done in a day. Your supper sounds delicious! I wish stores wouldn't push the holidays at us quite so fast. There was Halloween candy in the grocery store yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dare I tell you I have bought some Christmas cards....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Sue - just having a major catch up - I am convinced everyone writes more when I am away!
    Your note about the actor made me smile surely the job and skill of an actor is that they research the part and become the person and 'act' out the part - they are not playing themselves - otherwise that would mean that a gay actor could not play a straight part either and where would Doris Day have been without Rock Hudson!!

    ReplyDelete