Saturday 17 November 2018

Saturday Update and Here's Something.................

...............I hadn't heard of before..........................................Stove-top Pot Pourri

This is an idea from the States that I found on a blog, on a blog! ( Blog hopping again!)I think this could be an idea for the hampers.

One blog was using dried lemon and orange slices, on another website I found this mix with a whole lemon

https://www.deliacreates.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/stove-top-potpourri-3-of-711124.jpg


Then this mix could be used or any combination really.

Stove Top Potpourri Neighbor Gifts - Three recipes + a free printable! // Delia Creates

I'm liking this idea and there are free print-out labels with instructions (bung in saucepan with water and simmer)  - see top picture............... think I'll import this from across the Atlantic............Thank you too 'A Working Pantry.Blogspot' and  'Delia Creates .com'.
(A strange thing happened when I printed out the labels - they came out fine first time on a piece of white paper - to test it was printing OK, but then on coloured paper the size of the circle shrunk so the letters were overlapping - very strange - can't explain that at all)

Another week of November has been and gone and I have hot water coming out of the taps fast enough to make bubbles at last. The hot water  man had to come back  (he was here on Thursday and Friday of the previous week) which meant I had to cancel my second spell of volunteering - not a good start.

The Slow, Very  Slow kitchen man has done another third of the kitchen.
He is such a worrier and perfectionist, drives me nuts. The cupboards look lovely but I discovered the wall cupboards are not as deep as what I had before which is a bit annoying as the dinner plates won't fit in. He  volunteered to put one of the old wall cupboards into the porch/utility, which was very handy and saved getting Col's brother over to do it.
I have a week without him here then he'll be back to do the last third. Then all the work here will be finished ................3 Very Loud  Cheers..

The second jigsaw of the autumn has been finished and all pieces present - which is good. I'll be able to label it "Complete November 2018" when I take it to a car boot sale next year and make a profit on the 20p I paid for it.



The Low Spend November has more or less been abandoned. Why? Because

  1. the window cleaner came on his  8 weekly visit. 
  2. then I thought I ought to renew my passport as it was about to run out - I might not go anywhere but you never know and it's very useful for ID. (Ever so easy to do online - not like 10 years ago for my first passport when I had to go for an interview and list  the addresses of all houses I'd ever lived in!)
  3.  the blue car needed servicing. I'm still using both cars until the MOT runs out on the old one, then it will be sold.
  4. and last but not least the bird feed peanuts were running low so I found a special offer from Garden Wildlife company who were doing some free stuff with orders over £20. So if we have very bad weather I have Suet Pellets for extra birdy protein

I'll doing Low Spend January instead...............maybe.


Have a lovely weekend everyone ............................hope you have good things planned

Back Monday
Sue


32 comments:

  1. Just might join you on a Low Spend January. November is a disaster area here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I could have put some things off until December but it's "broad as it's long" as my mum would have said

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea - have now added the Working Pantry blogspot to my sidebar and will be pinching this idea too (for my daughters as I'm doing little baskets of goodies for them all, mainly with little cooking bits as they are all keen and able cooks, son included.)

    I love your jigsaw. I have one here to do - must set it up in the dining room and do a little each day. I am currently knitting wee hats to hang on some twine to contain sweeties or tiny gifts. Great fun and they knit up in no time.

    It looks like we may have a No Income November from our Unit (though we do have a Fair next week) and I am trying NOT to spend too much - difficult with Christmas in the offing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heck.........a no income November is much worse than a low spend November.

      I was slow getting started with the jigsaw and then raced to the end quickly

      Delete
  3. The pot pourri idea is interesting.
    I am finding that the birds seem to be eating more and more seed, fat pellets and blocks and peanuts. It costs a fortune but it is so worthwhile as they are finding it harder to find food from other sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always dither about the cost of bird feeding but once you start you can't really stop so I get it on line which is much cheaper

      Delete
  4. I too like the pot pourri idea so you may just have started a trend. I was doing my accounts last night and will be hoping that nothing major is needed this month. You’ve also jogged my memory about my Christmas Jigsaw which I will take out of the cupboard just shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't do another jigsaw until after Christmas now. Just bought two second hand for my Brother in Law to give me for Christmas! He'll doesn't go anywhere to buy 2nd hand and new are too expensive. He thinks me buying my present and him giving me the money works very well. I'll let him wrap them this year.

      Delete
  5. Why did you not sell the car while it had MOT on it? Or is it going for scrap? Do you have a month when you try out life without thinking about money at all? You may find it a nice change and in fact you would be more than likely to not spend any more than you would have done if you had thought about it but you would be free. Follow that if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not worth me trying to sell it as it's quite old and has "issues". The place I take the cars for servicing are going to buy it off me in April. As it's not costing me anything to use I might as well use it to save usage on the new car - if that makes sense. My Brother in Law says it doesn't make sense but it does to me!
      I don't think too much about money - it doesn't worry me but I am on limited income until I get my state pension in 2021 when I'll have a bit more money coming in. AND I need to fill blog posts with something!!

      Delete
    2. It must have had a long MOT on it if it still has to April to go . I think I am with your brother-in-law.

      Delete
    3. It makes sense to me - saves wear and tear on the newer car. As long as you drive it once in awhile, to keep the battery charged :)

      Delete
  6. I laughed when I read the first line of your blog this morning.
    In a fascinating book about clearing her parents' home in Canada, “They Left Us Everything”, Plum Johnson talks about making a pot pourri by heating cinnamon in water on the stove.
    I read about it in the early hours of this morning.
    I may well try it, perhaps to disguise cooking smells!
    I love coincidences where one comes across something new which is then mentioned again within days.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find coincidences happen with quizzes on TV - there will be a question I don't know the answer too on one programme and then somewhere else the same subject will crop up a day or two later. The book you've mentioned sounds interesting. I'll have a look for it

      Delete
  7. I can't remember if you have a log burner or stove type fire, but for anyone
    that does, if you have a flat top to it you can place a suitable (metal) pot on top with water in and your stovetop pot pourri ingredients and it makes the living room or wherever your stove is smell lovely. Just make sure to keep the pot topped up with water as it runs dry faster than you think - even on your hob in the kitchen of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have a woodburner with flat top . I wonder if I would remember to top up the water - I can imagine the smell of burning cinnamon sticks etc might not be so good!

      Delete
  8. When we were kid less we’d go up to the mountains and stay at a condo with a wood burning stove. Because of the altitude it was very dry, so i’d take a little pot, fill it with water and put it on the stove to simmer with a lemon slice in it. Put some moisture in the air and it smelled good too. It’s 0340 here and i’m wide awake.....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might put a pot with lemon slices on top of my woodburner,. It sounds a great way to freshen the air

      Delete
    2. I think I'll find a suitable container and give it a go too

      Delete
  9. I must look up those blogs - the pot pourri sounds intriguing.

    I do sometimes wonder why, when one decides to have a frugal month, all the bills decide to come along at the same time - like the proverbial buses. Very frustrating.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frugal month plans are pointless really as it just puts things off to next month! Low spend January is planned!

      Delete
  10. My November also hasn't been a frugal one, but it's all good things that needed/need done. A gardener is coming Monday to cut back everything in preparation for winter; he'll also rake and haul for a reasonable flat price. Tuesday a carpet cleaner will come to tackle all the carpet in the house, including the stairs, also for a low, flat price. Thank goodness for flyers with coupons! I bought a 40 count box of Hallmark Christmas cards for three dollars (U.S.), gift boxes, wrapping paper and tags. Also stocked up on sale-priced holiday baking mixes. I can bake any kind of breads from scratch, but my homemade cookies could often be used as artillery so I prefer to use mixes for those. Starting to feel ready for the holidays to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your holiday celebrations will soon be here - we have Black Friday ads already!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous jigsaw. I have a Thomas Kinkade one waiting for a clear table to do it on.
    Like the sound of the stovetop pot pourri.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thomas Kinkade ones I've seen all look a bit dark and gloomy and very difficult! but they can't all be like that.

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of a pot on the woodburner. One of the problems for me is that when cooking has finished you can still smell it all over the house. Despite fan going and doors closed. I will try it as such aroma should not upset my lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you found the stove top potpourri recipes.. I've done those during holiday times and so thanks for the reminder! We're off to take our grandson out for lunch and then a haircut for him and I'm going to a spice store! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will definitely need a low spend January so I might just join you.

    Stove top potpourri recipes make a house smell lovely.

    That puzzle is great.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Low-spend February would be easier...it's a shorter month, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have an old cast iron saucepan I use on my stove in the lounge, perfect for pot pourri.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm afraid I would be forgetting to top the potpourri up with water and that would be a disaster! What a nice idea for the hampers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've reminded me I need to get a move on and renew my passport too.

    It's always nice to get a second (or third) hand jigsaw with the promise that it's complete.

    ReplyDelete