Wednesday 26 June 2019

Summer on the Mantel

The weather wasn't summery a couple of weeks ago when the Summer Haze Cottage came out of the cupboard and onto the mantel shelf, but has improved a bit since then. Then I added a rose now the wood-burner isn't needed.

I've got several rose bushes in what I call "The Oval Rose Garden",  they all look lovely when in bud, then open and soon are fading and gone.

I really know nothing much about roses, only had a couple of climbers at the smallholding which I would just attack when they got too big and begun to be a nuisance. There is just one here that I know the name of and that's "Thinking of you" which was given me by friends after Colin died last year. David Austin Roses got quite a lot of mentions while I was watching the Chelsea Flower show last month, so I looked on their website and can see that most of his roses seem to have many more petals in their flowers than any of mine. I looked further and found this..........Oh, So that's how many different sorts there are. It's like a whole new language to learn.

Many Varieties Of Rose Plants | Roses | Planting roses ...

Or maybe I'll just look at them from my kitchen window and enjoy them whatever they are



and watch the blue tits feeding their fluffy babies with the greenfly - doing a good job I reckon.

Apologies for not replying to comments over the last few days. (Been a bit busy, grass cutting and then quizzing Monday and jam making etc on Tuesday.)

Back Tomorrow
Sue


13 comments:

  1. I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of rose. Amazing!
    Making jam is fun - what kind?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted the (white) rose named after Princess Diana in memory of my mum who died in the same year. It comes up year after year with no help and looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two David Austin roses, and a few straggly ones that were here when we moved in. I'm dead-heading almost daily at the moment, quite calming, and, of course, you then get more flowers. (Much cheaper to buy in the autumn as roots.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The number of types of rose is overwhelming! I am slowly, voluntarily, building a collection in my garden. I have Betty's Smile in memory of Mum, plus a few roses given to her on occasion birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about not replying to me. I am busy also, and haven't got time to come back and check whether you have done or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Austin roses are lovely, the thing I like about them is that they smell like roses always used to when we were young. There's nothing nicer than a strong sweet rose smell. So many modern roses have no smell at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That baby blue tit is exquisite Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, sounds like a dumb question, but are blue tits YELLOW? I have read about them on British blogs, but I don't think we have them across the pond...or at least not where I live in the western US. What color are GREAT tits, and how do they differ from blue tits (which apparently are yellow!). Enjoying your blog, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what wonderful photos. Our roses are yet to bloom. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your roses look lovely, Sue and so healthy. Unfortunately my two have blackspot andI'm not sure how to get rid of it. But the blooms are good nevertheless. I always drool over David Austin roses in the garden centres, they have beautiful scents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never liked roses -being too much work. However this house has lots and I have grown to like them and get stressed when I cant get the energy to be able to prune them. No idea of their names but all have delightful smells.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my David Austen rose - my late MIL bought it for me and it is wonderful every year - we used the petals at my daughter's wedding which was nice as the perfume is heavenly. One of the reasons for knowing which variety is it can help when it comes to pruning.

    ReplyDelete