Wednesday 15 January 2020

St Mary's Church, Playford

Tucked away down a narrow lane in a small village not far from Ipswich, this church stands up high and has a lychgate - not many Suffolk churches have one.
This was erected in 1930 in memory of a mother who died in the late C19.


Through the lychgate and up a steep path, then steps

until finally you can see the church and one of the grandest south porch towers in Suffolk.




But the reason this church gets a mention in the 100 treasures book is because of this obelisk in the graveyard

It says "Thomas Clarkson  The Friend of slaves"  and was erected in 1857 by 'a few surviving friends' Thomas Clarkson worked with William Wilberforce to persuade parliament to abolish the slave trade, leading to the Acts of 1807 and 1833. Clarkson died in Playford in 1846 and there are other memorials to him in his birthplace of Wisbech and in Westminster Abbey.

Inside is a small plain church, restored in Victorian times and very few older features remain

Stained glass over the altar


One thing that survived the Victorian modernisation is this  huge brass, nearly 5 feet tall for Sir George Felbrigg who built the tower and died in 1400.


More about the church on the Suffolk Churches website

Thank you for comments about the local Mistletoe. I can see how it wouldn't be noticed when driving as it's on a bend but still can't understand why I've not seen it when walking, but walking roundabout here is on hold for a couple of weeks as I had to take my Hotter walking shoes back to the shop for repairs as a metal eyelet pulled right off last time I did them up. They'll repair them for free but it might take a while. I've only had them a year so wasn't best pleased.
Walking anywhere will be even muddier now  after the rain from storm Brendon passed over Suffolk. It wasn't too windy although the A14 over the Orwell bridge was closed on Monday and when I heard it might close on Tuesday afternoon I was glad my trip to Ipswich was early. Apart from going to Hotter the main reason to go was to pick up a child car seat bought secondhand for my car so I can help out with Willow a bit once her brother or sister arrives......won't be long now........very exciting......I take the phone upstairs every night ........just in case I have to dash over to Willow sit.


Back Tomorrow
Sue

26 comments:

  1. Playford - what a lovely name for a village! That tower is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting church because of it's position on a hill - we don't have many of those in Suffolk

      Delete
  2. I love that lychgate - it is beautiful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lych-gate shortage in Suffolk - perhaps we don't need anywhere for the coffin bearers to shelter because of being so dry - or USUALLY so dry - it's been very wet again here for days

      Delete
  3. Thomas Clarkson, one of the great abolitionists. I must go to Wisbech to see what they have for him as that is where he was born and educated, Wisbech Grammar School. I am sure he must be remembered there too. Thank you for this post, it will act as a catalyst for something else for me to do. The obelisk is a fine one. Ah yes, I see you have mentioned that he is also commemorated in Wisbech. I must go and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would know all about him - I hadn't a clue until I looked in the 100 treasures book and the churches website

      Delete
    2. His brother John is buried at St Mary's Woodbridge where you went recently. He also worked for the freedom of slaves I believe.

      Delete
  4. Grandchildren are a joy! All good wishes for the imminent arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it's sooner rather than later, DiL is getting quite fed up with waiting

      Delete
  5. I can see that the lych gate with the seats was very much needed before climbing the hill and steps to worship. I wonder why it was built without thought to easy and welcoming accessibility. Mind you, in those days attendance at church was compulsory, so thought wouldn't have been given to parishioners ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unusual too for the lych-gate to have been built relatively recently

      Delete
  6. An interesting Church and obelisk.
    I saw lots of mistletoe yesterday when I went to Cambridge.
    Hope everything goes well for the happy event.
    Well the big storm seems to have died down and hope nobody had an damage.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 300+ houses in the village lost power for 7 hours yesterday - luckily I am well prepared, several trees down across roads but soon cleared

      Delete
  7. A very lovely church. Off the beaten path a bit. How do the infirm manage those steps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how the elderly manage that hill - quite a climb - unusual for Suffolk

      Delete
    2. I could do the slope but the steps no. Beautiful church.

      Delete
  8. Some of the simplest churches inside are the most beautiful. The lychgate is fabulous.
    A much awaited new arrival is an exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much looking forward to Grandchild number 4.

      Delete
  9. Shame about your walking shoes, but good that they will repair them. I stick to using my special walking Wellies, which is just as well because it is so soggy and boggy around here. The farmers are unable to work the land this year.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't walk in wellies - they really hurt my feet if worn for too long - even with arch supports in. I swapped from walking boots to shoes but since then it seems it hasn't stopped raining

      Delete
  10. I am always amazed at the age of structures in England. 1400! Columbus hadn't even made it over here yet. That is a beautiful little church.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed hearing this background information on both Thomas Clarkson and this church. The lychgate is beautiful with the carving over the top. How exciting that the time is nearing for that new grand baby! I remember when I used to keep a child seat in my car for the grandchildren. Enjoy these days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful church and such an interesting history. I hope your new grandchild arrives safely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a beautiful church...I love that lychgate. It is so appealing all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that Lychgate!

    And that is a new word to me. Have to look it up.

    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ’›¸.•*¨*•♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the lychgate, it’s beautiful with all the carving. The church where I got married had a lychgate and the church where I live now has one. Funnily enough, they’re both called St Michaels and All Angels and in different parts of Exeter.

    ReplyDelete