Friday 18 December 2020

18th December - Advent Photo + December Library Book Photo

 A book from my Home Front collection, that I've had for years. Christmas at War by Caroline Taggart  which I wrote about last Saturday  is reminiscences written recently, whereas A Wartime Christmas by Maria and Andrew Hubert tends to be made up of pieces from newspapers etc written at the time. It's quite good for dipping in and out of.

 


 This is the amazon description.............

"For those who lived through wartime Christmases the celebrations during those years had an especially poignant flavour. This unique anthology recreates those times of heartache and brief moments of pleasurable escape and happiness. Share with wartime veterans and their families memories of Christmas under fire; read about the gift of a pig for POWs' dinner from the Japanese emperor and how Glenn Miller's disappearance almost ruined the AEF Christmas show; enjoy ENSA veterans' anecdotes of Christmas concerts in the most awkward situations. From Christmas on the Russian Front, on board ship in heaving seas and a soldier's experiences in Egypt, 'It ain't arf hot' pantomimes and the Archbishop of York's Christmas message in 1940, to an account of life in the Warsaw ghetto, here is a collection of what made Christmas special during the years of the Second World War. Illustrated throughout, it will appeal not only to those who have experienced wartime Christmas for themselves, but to all of those with an historical interest in the war."

And two long months after his last visit,  Andrew the mobile library man was round with a lovely collection of 16 books that I'd requested.

What a treat..........


 5 British Library Crime Classics,  new books by Anne Perry, Ann Cleeves and Lissa Evans. 3 other fiction re-prints of old books, 4 Non-Fiction and Blitz Detective which I know nothing about. 

If (and it's a probably a sure thing I reckon) - we are locked down again through January then I'll have plenty of reading.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


 

24 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I think we should be able to move freely and those who are scared should be the ones who stay indoors. Good thing the library man came. All looks pretty normal around here traffic wise. Busy and good life for those who enjoy and live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book. They are all for the most part, a good read. I used to read a lot but have hardly done so for a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in lockdown in Wales from the 28th. Things are pretty dire here so it is needed. I used to read a lot but have lost all concentration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I heard that on the radio and N.I from boxing day so I reckon England too after Christmas

      Delete
  4. Will those books last you through January?

    A lockdown won't affect me that much and I do have a few books to read including the one I was lucky enough to win, thank you. I have enough craft type projects to keep me out of mischief for a fair while, so my hsnds won't be idle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books should last me a month or more I hope.

      Delete
  5. It's good you have some reading To keep you going.
    I have got let's of wool so I am making scarves for the homeless and the beginning of the new year Attic 24 are started a new blanket which is interesting so that will be good for me.
    Hazel c uk 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lot should keep you out of mischief for a while! I think a National lockdown is on the cards, especially if people go mad over Christmas. I don't know if lockdowns work or not (I'm not that clever) but we've got to do something, this virus isn't going any time soon, sadly. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hospitals are certainly very busy with Covid patients - I think it will be another month of lockdown.

      Delete
  7. The Jan Morris one looks interesting- she has just died, hasn't she? In 1953, JM was the Times reporter accompanying the Everest expedition. When the news of the ascent got to the basecamp, he ran miles to the nearest radio station, so the news could be sent back to the UK [on the morning of the Coronation] My late friend Colleen was a young girl then, living there, as her dad was the radio officer who transmitted the message. She was SO proud of her Dad. I'm always heartened to discover the 'ordinary'folk, just conscientiously doing their job, who are part of the chain that made history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's just died. I read her recent diary type book and have her book about her Welsh home in my after Christmas treats so thought I'd read this one too. I'm not keen on travel books which is what she mainly wrote

      Delete
    2. As I am always banging on about it I might as well do so again, her best non-travel book is Conundrum.

      Delete
  8. My Mum had that book from the library one year. It is really interesting.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had it ages - as part of my Home Front collection and read bits now and again

      Delete
  9. Another good wartime book, you have a good collection of them :-)

    Lots of nice new library books at last, but I doubt they will last you through the lockdown we are all expecting!! Which could be a good thing really as once you start reading through your own collection again you might find a few to declutter and save space on the packing up to move.

    An interesting collection there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of crime - very worrying!

      Delete
    2. What DO you have planned I wonder .... ;-)

      Delete
  10. This looks like such an interesting book. I need to seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good haul. Plenty to keep you going during Lockdown (which I am sure you will join us in - ours starts on 28th).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our lockdown is just beginning. I know it is going to get much worse before it gets better.

    Lots of good reading there.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone, I am Adorjan Adelmo from Yasinya village Ukraine and I just want to say a very resounding thanks  to Mr Benjamin Lee Financial loan services for their sincerity, Openness, Transparency, Truthfulness, Love and support during and after getting loan funds from them. I have been through a lot in the hands of in life and time won’t permit me to say all that I went through in the year of pandemic but God answered my prayers through the support and love from Mr Benjamin Lee Financial loan services who embraced me and understood me despite my initial doubt and unseriousness and with his good heart and love I am now a home owner through his 2% interest rate loan funds and I have vow to spread this news and also tell the world that there are still genuine and few good online loan firms out there that can assist and also revive a dry bone like I was.
    Don’t fail to listen and read this testimony because this is a true life changing experience and anyone that needs this kind of turn around should not hesitate or doubt this because I have proven and I swear to God in Heaven that this story is real and also the story of my experience with them .
    Contact them today. WhatsApp - +1-989-394-3740 Email:    247officedept@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete