Monday 1 March 2021

Another Painting in Lent

 Here's today's painting from the little book

The Art of Lent: A Painting A Day From Ash Wednesday To Easter by [Sister Wendy Beckett]

 

This is from week 2 where the subject is Contemplation

Young Woman with a water jug by Jan Vermeer c1662



Sister Wendy says "No painter has ever believed more totally in light than Vermeer - and hence the profoundly contemplative nature of his art".

Wikipedia says " This painting is one of a closely related group painted in the early to mid-1660s as the artist was not using linear perspective and geometric order, and the light was his only source of emphasis. The work suggests that Vermeer was aware that light is composed of colours, and the effect of colours on one another. For instance, the blue drape is reflected as dark blue on the side of the metallic pitcher, and the red fabric modifies the gold hue of the basin's underside.
Young Woman with a Water Pitcher was purchased by Henry Gurdon Marquand in 1887 at a Paris gallery for $800. When Marquand brought it to the United States, it was the first Vermeer in America. Marquand donated the artwork along with other pieces in his collection to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
 
Back Tomorrow
Sue

12 comments:

  1. Those Northern European painters were masters of their craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We studied this in our History of Art lectures at Art College - it has great significance in the art world and one of my favourites from the Dutch Baroque period - I love the fact it depicts domestic life and he captured the light so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vermeer was one artist I studied a little during my degree. I always liked the concept of a Northern European Renaissance, as I felt the focus almost always fell upon Italy, whereas northern Europe's art and architecture took on a different aspect and seemed never to be worthy enough, or receive the praise it is so worthy of. Thankfully, that has now changed. Durer is another master of illustration and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Vermeer paintings. We visited the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam when I was a child and my Mum and Dad bought a few prints to frame. I always think they started a love of art for me from a very early age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving on to the Met. site has been an eyeopener for me. We are so lucky to have these resourses at a fingertap away. Thanks for opening up the rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quiet, calm, considered. My sort of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's a beautiful work of art, very peaceful.

    Happy March! Here's to a good one for all of us, and good progress with your sale/purchase. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful painting. I do like a lot of Vermeer's work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vermeer is one of my favorite artists. It's March already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet it's worth a bit more than $800 now! I love the light in this painting and am grateful for Sister Wendy's explanation. I wish I knew more about the History of Art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Vermeer's depiction of light and dark in that painting. This is a very interesting book you have on Lent. I enjoy studying art in a book that tells a bit about each work. I hope your moving plans are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a truly beautiful piece of art. Thanks for sharing, Sue!

    ReplyDelete