Thursday 30 May 2024

Almost the End of May Frugal Notes

 How did May go for frugal and thrifty? 

The income was the usual 2 pensions (both have gone up a bit so I await notification from HMRC to tell me my tax code will have changed and not for the better!)) and interest on savings bond and ISA.

Outgoings were the usual too - Council Tax, electric, charity, phones and broadband, 2 x diesel for the car, food, household needs. The biggest extra outgoing this month was the car breakdown insurance but there were lots of smaller things.

 I thought there would be no more garden expenses but then the strimmer cord ran out - it's lasted years so has done well, the silly thing is that the cheapest way to buy was in packs of  12. I found somewhere to buy just  4 but I reckon - I'll be long gone before they've been used! From a car-boot sale I bought a pot of Chrysanths to fill a space out the front and when I saw someone else had small Fig trees (first I've seen for ages) I bought one - just in case I decide to move!

The window cleaner came early in the month and I bought postage stamps and birthday presents were sent to Eldest Grandson who is now 8 years old and of course more wild bird feed again - although I've now had to stop feeding for summer as the starlings have about a dozen babies and when they swoop in the feeders are empty in 10 minutes.

On the personal part of the accounts, no flowers or  books were bought - a very good thing! I had a foot care lady round for the first time and went to the opticians where I paid the extra for eye pressure test (the basic eye test is free but they do an extra pressure test which is £20 ) but other expenses were smaller,  the exercise group, a cheap pair of sunglasses from a car-boot sale and I bought a new insulated cup to replace one that wasn't much good and a few other bits and finally on Monday decided to have a months subscription to Discovery+ TV (£6.99)so I could watch the French Open Tennis  - I just have to work out how to cancel the subscription to it before the month is over - it took me an age to find out how to get it in the first place - it's so frustrating to be so technically dense! 

Small things were needed in the kitchen, the regular delivery of Smol dishwasher tablets arrived and I looked several times for the cheap bags of dishwasher salt in Aldi and Asda - but the shelves were always empty and the local hardware place only had huge boxes of the expensive Finish and I was told there was a shortage -  like a year or so ago, so I sent for some and of course next time I was in Asda - there were the cheap bags, sitting there - full shelf! The filter needed changing in the water filter jug that I got for filtering water for the coffee machine so I  sent for a new stock up while I remembered.

 So, we are told that inflation is increasing more slowly and some foodstuffs are coming down in price .....really?? can't say I've noticed. My shopping just seems to be expensive each week . It doesn't help that I like to eat lots of fruit - 3 portions a day if I can - and fresh preferably . But at this time of year it's between seasons and I'm eating  an apple, slice of melon and canned pineapple. Nectarines are just appearing in the supermarkets and hopefully will be costing less than they are at the moment once the season gets going. And then BiL's strawberries and my raspberries will be ready- can't wait!  I always pick the biggest fruit or veg if they are priced up individually and the melon I found one week was so ginormous that it made the scales on the self service checkout bleep - the scales thought I had more than one! I had a big slice every day for 8 days.


Frugal things I can think of 

  • Mending my ironing board cover with new elastic
  • Mending leggings again - now all put away until autumn. I'm in shorts for the duration now
  • Home made white bread, malt loaves and granary bread - another recipe from the bread machine recipe book that I'd not tried before.

  • Reading library books and my own books
  • Made big batch of vegetable korma curry = 8 portions - about 60p each
  • Greetings cards from boot-sale for 50p each
  • Pick the biggest of individually priced fruit veg (cauliflower, melon, cucumber etc)
  • Made a batch of Thai Red Fish Curry = 7 portions, worked out at just under £1 each as I added green beans for a change. Curry in the freezer for several months now..
  • Only use 2nd class stamps


Found in the new Mind charity shop,  a good t-shirt for home wearing. It's a man's one - they are always so much better quality than women's and have a looser fit for hot weather.


Out of the house went a bag of old towels to the RSPCA charity shop and some new (won in the raffle) items to the church in Stowmarket (where the café is)where they have a sale table and a help-yourself-if-you-need-it shelf of toiletries. 
I briefly considered hanging onto things to do a car boot sale myself but I've been to so many, and they've been packed out with folk selling with the same old stuff week after week so I don't think people are spending much and anyway I vowed, after last time, not do one again EVER!

Looking forward to next month..................and June is often a low spend month with the only extra expense (hopefully and touching wood)being the bill from the District Council for the garden waste bin. I have plenty of meals in the freezer now and there will be strawberries from BiL so food spending could be low.

Back Soon
Sue



25 comments:

  1. It's good to read about your breadmaking and cooking for the freezer. Stress makes me very disinclined to do anything much in the kitchen these days and I am grateful when Emma dishes up a portion of whatever she has made (veggie meals). I have made one loaf of bread in the last couple of months I think. I haven't noticed the price of groceries going down either!

    Gosh, where might you move to next? I have to say, I never want to move again. Love it here and the thought of packing . . . nope, can't even contemplate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying some other breads in the machine - don't know why I haven't before.
      As for moving - I might - I might not!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it awful that we have to budget for postage stamps now?
    A lot of my family live in Ireland and I like to keep in touch by letter - just a preference, I'm still quite tech savvy.
    But THREE 2nd class stamps are needed now for my letter to reach them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First class stamps are really expensive and second nearly as much - no wonder not many people write letters anymore

      Delete
  3. Yes, I keep reading that food prices have gone down here - totally ridiculous, my careful food shop constantly goes up. I was interested in your bread making, I don’t do it as often as I should. I always really, really enjoy malt loaf when I am in England, but have not attempted that. I love the smell of bread baking. A slice of fresh bread and I am happy! Over here people have garage sales. Years ago I had one with a couple of other people on the street. I had someone chat to me about my husband’s ham radio registration plate on his car- the next morning the license was gone, stolen during the night. Replacing the plate almost equaled our profits from the sale. Jean in Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices going up more slowly is supposed to cheer us up!

      Delete
  4. I was also surprised you mentioned moving. You have just gotten your place all set, I thought, so why would you want to leave it?
    May was a BIG expense month for me - new hearing aids and property taxes! But I was glad to have money saved for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving here seemed a good idea - now it's frustrating

      Delete
  5. Can you really be considering another move because of the housing development? Wouldn't that be a bit costly? I am very impressed reading about your cost savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not because of the new estate being built just a few 100yard away but lots of reasons

      Delete
  6. I think as we've said before, inflation depends on what you buy. If it's lots of electricity, holidays and technology then it probably is, but if you spend more on food then it isn't. At least pensions have had another good increase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pension rises without the tax allowance changing means paying more tax as my income from two pensions is just a fraction over the allowance

      Delete
  7. I've also not noticed any decrease in food prices. Why is this being stated in the media? Foolish. I also buy short and long-sleeve shirts and t-shirts that are made for men. They are better made and always less costly than those made for women. Long-sleeves can be rolled up easily for Summer wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find mens T shirts are much better quality - it's really odd

      Delete
  8. I hope you do manage to work out how to cancel your subscription. Remembering to do so would be my issue!
    FO is not usually my favourite slam to watch but I’m really enjoying it this year. So many great male players keep appearing and it just makes the sport such fun to watch. I don’t keep up with the women players to the same extent but am pleased Osaka is back playing. Sad I didn’t see her match today, it sounded like a cracker. J’nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be having as much rain in France as we are in the UK! There are so many male players that I've not heard of will be interesting to see who comes through and moving to the top now that the elder statesmen are retiring.
      I find women's tennis frustrating and don't know them well at all

      Delete
  9. Yesterday, of course, not today! J’nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. After rising rapidly, some of our groceries have indeed come back down in price (although still higher than they were originally). And some of the supermarket specials on veggies have been quite spectacular (probably to entice you in there to shop, but still beneficial to the shopper!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish fruit and veg prices weren't so high but that's how it will be from now on

      Delete
  11. I haven’t noticed any lowering of prices in the supermarket unless it’s on special offer eg today ordered 6 boxes frothy coffee at £1.75 instead of £2.50. That will last for 48 days as I am very strict about having only one each day. Small wins make me smile. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee machine that the family got me for Xmas means no more frothy coffee sachets for me - ever so pleased with the machine except for the cleaning it needs although I have plenty of time nowadays

      Delete
  12. I thought I had already commented on this post, but obviously not ... so here I am again. I meant to add as well your post updates are appearing nicely on my sidebar, so I don't know what the problem is that some are struggling with. Blogger is very random these days isn't it.

    With all that curry in the freezer June could be a very frugal and very tasty month, I hope you have enough rice to go with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look in spam - you are sometimes there for some random reason!................no not there today.
      The currys will last me weeks - very handy
      And the blogger thing is very strange

      Delete
  13. Yes, Sue, Sue appears in sidebars but for the moment her blog is not appearing in 'Reading List' which many bloggers use on their blogs. I am sure it is only a temporary blip and will come back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely frugal month you have had. I still have you appearing in my sidebar.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete