Monday 6 May 2024

ITFC, Old Photos and Back to Daily Posting?

 First of all have to say WELL DONE to Ipswich Town Football Club , automatically promoted to the Premiership - the top tier of English Football. It's 22 Years since they were last there. This time last year they were promoted from the third tier to the second so it's an amazing turn around in two seasons after some very dismal years. Being in the Premiership brings many bonuses - mainly money and recognition. Ipswich really needs this as I've mentioned before about how sad the town is looking. This might herald a turn around for our County Town.

******************

My photo sorting is providing lots of old pictures to share to local Facebook village and town history groups.

The hamlet of  14 homes where I lived for my first 20 years - Although I wasn't there when this photo was taken! definitely before my time! The 'busy' road was actually the A45 which has become the A14 main road from Felixstowe to the Midlands so thank heavens the hamlet was bypassed in the early 70's. Our house was the one just left of centre and facing forward. Behind it you can just see the roofs of a row of 6 cottages that were condemned and unfit to live in when Mum and Dad bought everything in about 1951.

A Suffolk village school photo from 1913 with my grandmother in the centre - someone in the past put an inked circle round her head and the boy in front who is someone I've not heard of - perhaps a friend.


My grandparents (on the binder and holding the horse) and their children, my Aunt, her twin brother = my Real Dad and Step Dad on their farm in Mid Suffolk around 1930ish


Outing to the beach - Sunday School probably or perhaps Cub Scouts. That's Colin in the front and his brother on the far left.


My Mum was a Cub Scout Leader In Stowmarket - in the years just after the war, she's on the left. Her younger brother - my Uncle is the  third boy from Mum.


Colin's  Primary School photo, same school that our two eldest children went to for a few years before we moved to the coast and the same school which two of my Grandchildren now attend.
My primary school had no school photos while I was there which is disappointing.


Still lots more recent photos to remove from old albums...........It's taking a while! especially after posting the very old photos on Facebook Groups as I then have to go back and answer the questions asked.

Blogging..........I might go back to 6 days a week posting, it depends where I go and what I do to write about. If I don't appear some days it will be because there's nothing to mention. So instead of saying 'Back Tomorrow' I'll say 'Back Soon'!

So................

Back Soon (although I will be back tomorrow as I have some church visits in drafts)
Sue


33 comments:

  1. I have hardly any family pictures and always envy those that do. Luckily, I did inherit just a few very old ones of my mums grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to have these and hope that one of the children will hang onto them for another generation

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to the Keiran and the Tractor Boys. I always look for the results because of the Manchester United connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ITFC even got a mention and interview on the Radio 4 Today programme this morning !

      Delete
  3. Memories from way past, still as vital as when they were taken but it is good that they appear on the internet for your family Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the family don't read my blog - miserable lot!

      Delete
  4. I love old photos! I have some of my great great grandparents that my DIL is making copies of to hang in their new flat which was built in 1834! Just post whenever you feel like it :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a couple of old photos of great grandparents on dads side. Almost no photos of Mums side of the family - they wouldn't have had a camera

      Delete
  5. It is always fascinating looking at olden day photos. I've noticed quite a few over time that have people circled or marked with an arrow, but what really gets me is when they scrape off the face of a person that presumably was not liked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't have any where people have been erased from history!

      Delete
  6. Really old photographs are precious because there are relatively few of them. Nowadays, everything is recorded.
    I like the school photos - some are so happy to be there, others wish themselves elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old photos can be very useful for future generations that are interested in piecing together family history.
    My paternal grandad was the black sheep of our family, and we don't have a single photo of him which is a shame.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to track down what photos might be around from Mums side of the family - if there are any.

      Delete
  8. Who would have thought when these photos were taken that so many would enjoy looking back in time with them. I have a school photo that my mom is in. Don't have one of my dad though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Football club win is outstanding. Everybody benefits. This will draw fans in large numbers and help fuel the local economy. Your photos are lovely. Your parents buying lots of neighboring property was a brilliant opportunity. The farming photo looks like a wheat harvest. Was this a family farm? School children and scouts always look so smart in their uniforms. Colin certainly is a handsome lad at the beach with his mates. You are lucky to have such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum and Real Dad bought the small cottage and the condemned cottages behind them so that had room for the building company that he and his brother had just started.

      Delete
  10. These old photos are great, Sue. My sister is the keeper of old photos in my family and she is working on getting them all scanned and saved so she can share them with us and all of our children. It's a huge project and takes quite a bit of time as she tries to identify who is who!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three photos that have no names on which is frustrating

      Delete
  11. How lovely to have those old photos that you can shard locally even if you then end up answering lots of questions. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people were interested in the history of the hamlet of houses, one lady lives there and has tried to find out more without much luck as the road is between two villages so neither have much information about it

      Delete
  12. Some very interesting pictures there, especially to those who know the area.
    I have some very old school photographs marked in a similar way. I believe they are all cousins or other relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to have them, hope the grandchildren will hang onto them

      Delete
  13. Well done indeed to the Tractor Boys. Can't believe it's 22 years since they were last promoted to the Premier League 😲 We were living in Suffolk then and I can still remember the excitement and the trepidation. Much better to have secured automatic promotion rather than the dreaded play-offs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember the times Town were in the old First Division and a really important club - hope the good times are here to stay for a while. I think they said 3 years was the longest they stayed in the top tier since it became the Premiership. Hope Kieran McKenna doesn't get dragged away to another club

      Delete
  14. Old photos tell such wonderful stories -- a different time, different looks to places and clothes and people. And when you know them all, a collection of memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to have them although I didn't appreciate family photos when I was younger!

      Delete
  15. Old photos are so interesting, giving us a glimpse into life at that time. You are very lucky to have them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pleased for Ipswich! It was great to see all the videos and celebrating from home. My Great nephews were all there enjoying the celebrations.

    Great photos. I love seeing and reading about the old days. I got a bunch of photos from Mum and I really need to sort through them. She did write down info on the back of some but not all. I hope you have them labelled so the family know who they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on TV that Christchurch Park and all the roads were absolutely packed for the open top bus tour- so good for the town

      Delete
  17. What wonderful old photos and congratulations to Ipswich Town. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the best thing is that Norwich have to take part in the play-offs to see if they will also be promoted!

      Delete
  18. Some wonderful old photos there, it must be nice rediscovering them all.

    ReplyDelete