Thursday 9 May 2024

Missed the Low Oil Price and All Sorts of Other Things

 I get emails from Boiler Juice - a company that compare heating oil prices and you can order via them too. Yesterdays email tells me that oil prices are at a nine month low - of course I haven't got room for 500L - the minimum order, because 730L were put in in February . It's all a guessing game when it comes to oil prices although the difference isn't hugely massive, just a bit annoying - £490 now against £543 then, and I'd rather fill up when the tank is just under half full than risk it getting really low waiting for a better price and who knows when the next war, pushing up prices, will happen! 

Got my usual pot of Basil to take cuttings and root them in water. Last year it didn't work very well so I'm hoping for better this year but once again the pots are forced so much that the shoots shoot up without any side leaves - which is where you have to snip to get roots growing.

Did anyone watch the first semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest on Tuesday night? There were some wild and wacky singers, songs and stage effects although I like Olly Alexanders song but not the weird performance. Hope he does well - anything has to be better than last year (25th out of 26!). Did you know that since the first Eurovision in 1956, 52 different countries have taken part and it's watched by a massive audience every year. Love it or hate it or couldn't care less? We always watched when I was little and have ever since although unlike my Mum I don't fall asleep before the end!

This below was a very good read. I wondered what the author would do with this series after the Queen died but she's solved this by going back to 1957. These are great fun to read and totally (almost) believable!


book cover of A Death in Diamonds


Old men playing snooker is the sport on TV to keep me company this week - Seniors from years gone by, although they're not That old, it's on 5 and 5Action. Surely I can't be the only blogger to like watching snooker, I'm not sure I've seen anyone else mention it. Excited about Tennis and Olympics  in the summer too.

Look what I won! It's a very unusual occurrence for me to win a prize in a draw, raffle or tombola but I still have a go as it's always a fund-raiser of some sort. This lovely box of goodies was won from a church flower festival event last weekend. (Church and flower photos next week). The theme of the flower festival was 'Going to the Movies'  and the prizes in this draw had been gathered by colour into boxes with each box being a film title with a colour in it.

 My Blue Hawaii box had chocolate biscuits, a mug, Cath Kidson tea-towels, hand lotion, wine, a tin of pretty notelet cards and a folding umbrella. I was so pleased even though I will be giving most of the things away!

Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday and apologies as comments keep going into spam without me realising until days later.

Back Soon
Sue


33 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was so excited to get a phone call to say I'd won!

      Delete
  2. I think you are on your own as far as snooker is concerned and the Eurovision Song Contest is very missable Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eurovision song contest is hilarious watching - or half watching as I'll be reading at the same time - it staggers me that there is so much enthusiasm for it

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder about the snooker. I always watch it when it's on the usual channels but didn't know about this event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to find another person who enjoys snooker on TV!

      Delete
  4. Such a nice prize. I took never win anything. Oh once I won a bear in a flying jacket and goggles but I didn't want it so I rang the charity and said they could keep it for to their next raffle.
    Watching snooker only reminds me of my unhappy marriage to a man who loved to watch snooker on our small black and white TV! You couldn't see the ball really either. Luckily, he and snooker on TV are now 40 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you wouldn't be a snooker fan now

      Delete
  5. I used to love watching snooker having been a fairly good player in my misspent youth :-)

    These days I never bother - it takes too long to watch a whole tournament and I have so many other things to do and not enough hours in the day 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes have too many hours in the day!

      Delete
  6. Oh, there's another Queen Investigates book - great. I must look out for it, thanks.
    That is a splendid prize. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now she has gone back to 1957 she has plenty of scope for many more books

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on winning that box of goodies. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents used to watch snooker - and bowls - and almost every sport other than darts!
    Eurovision started as a technical experiment - it's amazing that it's still around almost 70 years later. I have watched it once or twice in the past, but the music is mostly dire, to my ears, anyway.
    Good luck with the basil this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most sports on TV but wouldn't want to go and watch any in real life!

      Delete
  9. My family ALWAYS watched the snooker when I was growing up- Dad even built a half sized snooker table, using an old dining table. He and I made the pockets from recycled brass curtain rails and dishcloths! The legs came off and we stored it behind the sofa when not in use.
    That's a delightful blue prize - even the crate looks useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only times I tried to play snooker I couldn't even hit the ball!

      Delete
  10. That's a lovely prize. I never win raffles either, but as you say, it's usually a fund raiser so I do get tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donating to charity with the chance of winning - has to be good

      Delete
  11. What a lovely raffle prize, lucky you.. and I thought our Eurovision was good, but didn't like the writhing bodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very strange performance from Olly and the dancers!
      I was very excited to win such a lovely prize

      Delete
  12. That's a lovely prize. Blue is my favorite color so I would have been so happy with that box! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the boxes of different coloured gifts looked really good. A nice idea

      Delete
  13. My last oil purchase was high, Like you, I missed the low oil price. My previous purchase was at the low. Current prices seem to be climbing again. I should be all set until middle to late Summer. Your win is a very nice collection of gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful that my next oil purchase will not be until October and I expect prices will be high again by then!

      Delete
  14. I am not a blogger as such but I read lots of other peoples blogs on a regular basis. I am also a snooker fan having been introduced to it by my dad who watched the BBC2 series Pot Black. Yes the programme were the commentator said 'for those of you watching black and white the brown is the ball just behind the red'.
    Jane a regular reader

    ReplyDelete
  15. you cant beat the annual game of oil chicken , we havent got any yet because we have no idea what is going on with our housing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, that is a lovely prize. Enjoy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely prize! I never win anything lol.
    It's been years since I've watched snooker. It's not on here I don't think. Pool maybe, but I don't think Americans play a lot of snooker.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always felt so very ridiculous, but at the library, they had a contest, a word puzzle. You put your answers into a bucket, and if your name was drawn (and your answer correct!) you won a book. I won three books. I got excited about it every single time. Your prize looks much more exciting than that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The gas we buy for our cars have gotten high at times. I wound up getting gas at a gas station that was 5 to 10 cents cheaper per gallon. Congratulations on what you won!! I would use some of it especially the chocolate and tea mug. My rhododendrons and roses are blooming and are so beautiful. My daughter cut 3 rose buds off 2 plants and brought them indoors to see when they open up soon! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hate Eurovision, over recent years it's turned into more of a freak show and so I give it a miss. I do watch snooker and like you I'm currently watching the seniors, my mother always watched it, we used to watch Pot Black - I think it was Thursday nights for about half an hour? I find it's relaxing to knit to.... I sometimes wish the commentators would cut the cackle - there used to be just one years ago - and he didn't have much to say; these days you'd think it was on the radio they talk so much, and get overexcited if the white ball goes near a pocket...well you'd think it was a grenade. Love your blog, have read for years. All the best, Elaine x

    ReplyDelete